Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6

Thread: Confetti Quilt Instructor

Did anyone ever get her site???

How do you tranfer the picture to the batting??

Power Poster
    You have made many people excited over this technique. It is really great work you have shown us. Your students work are great also. Thank you
    SueDor

amh
    Wow. My bucket list has grown considerably since I joined this group. This is absolutely amazing and I can't wait to try it. Thank you so much for the unique idea.

amh
    Saskatoon SK

Her web site is. Jandole.com Her video is also out!

I cut snippets of all sorts of fabrics, thread, yarns and more and create such projects.

I ordered the Accuquilt Go Confetti Die couple months ago and it works awesome. Best die purchase I've made to date and believe me I've purchased several GO and Studio dies.
    clsurz

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    I cut snippets of all sorts of fabrics, thread, yarns and more and create such projects.

I ordered the Accuquilt Go Confetti Die couple months ago and it works awesome. Best die purchase I've made to date and believe me I've purchased several GO and Studio dies.
    I would love to see your creations! This technique is on my to do list, but am intimidated by the process.

Thanks so much. This seems like a very exciting project. I am not artistic at ALL, but if you say you don't have to be....I believe you! Would love to try this.

They are excellent results for a Workshop.
    Annie

Anyone that has done mixed media confetti projects can do this. Check out Noriko Endo from Japan who started this technique 19 years ago. Personally like her I prefer to just have a photograph of what I want to create and use it to eyeball my canvas piece which is a piece of batting. I seldom trace anything on the batting. My granddaughter and I a couple years ago spent the summer doing confetti art with cardboard and colorful papers, magazine papers and the like. What one can create with mixed materials can also be duplicated using cloth fabric, threads, yarns, etc.

It is alot of fun dyeing your own fabric to use in such projects. I've been known to take UGLY fabric and dye it to use in confetti projects. Also using old clothes, towels, and more along with other fabric, threads, yarns and such certainly adds to a project.

As far as a lightbox is concerned one does not need to go out an pay such a high price for one. Although I do have a professional one sized 12 X 17 I think it is and purchased it on eBay a few years ago I recently made myself a larger one. All I did was go to Walmart and bought a clear larger bin with lid and bought two LED florascent lights. I taped the lights on the inside of the lid and my lid is my bottom. I than put the container on and snapped it shut. I than use whatever paper I want to use to trace my project on. Right now I have several different items printed to trace on Steam A Seam II Lite or on Heat N Bond Lite. I buy these in large boxes from 25 yards to 75 yards and various width in inches.

I have for almost 1 1/2 years been saving all my end threads when I sew, yarns, fabric scraps given to me by a couple quilt guilds around here, and other threads and fibers to use in projects. I have the following machines at my disposal to use in projects if I so desire to......... embellishing machine,ie, needle felting machine; sewing machine; serger; embroidery machine; and I use my Studio, GO cutters as well as scissors, and rotary cutters to make the confetti with. I keep bags full of tulle of various colors which I usually purchase by the bolt as well. I also purchase cheese cloth by the bolt to use in various projects. Fabric markers, paints, brushes, etc are also sometimes used to give a project dimension and depth.

It really is alot of fun and really all these projects are really experiments. Just start gathering some of the things I mentioned here and have a go at it. If tracing something to give you an outline consider using stencils on the batting, felt or whatever you are going to use as your background canvas. Once you have your outline done have a go at it and start filling in the spaces with the colors you choose to use. You will amaze yourself at what you can create.
    clsurz

A friend and I are about to do this and we just bought expensive glue designed to keep the pieces in place. May not need the glue using this technique, but really look forward to making one of these beautiful art quilts! Thanks for posting on this subject
    Some bunny loves you.

Blog Entries
    I'll be anxious to see your finished work of art.

Quote Originally Posted by Somebunny View Post
    A friend and I are about to do this and we just bought expensive glue designed to keep the pieces in place. May not need the glue using this technique, but really look forward to making one of these beautiful art quilts! Thanks for posting on this subject
    Somebunny, you are right, you do not need glue for this method, as it would only glue the very bottom layer. I started a thread on confetti quilting some time ago after I took Jan Dole's class and was amazed at how thick the layer of confetti could be. Sometimes you might want to turn over a piece or two if the wrong side looked too white, for example and the glue would prevent you from doing that. The batting tends to hold it in place pretty good while you are working on it and the quilted netting holds it well after you are done. p.s., where are you on the OR coast? Feel free to email me if you would like futher suggestions.

I have completed a confetti piece that was about 3ft x 3ft of confetti. I used some glue, but only needed it when I had to leave the piece and was afraid that one of my pets would get on top of it and scatter it, and once when I rolled it up and transported it 300 miles to work on it at a relative's house. Then I just sprayed it with a temporary glue I usually use for embroider, not a very expensive one. Between layers of color - this has a lot of shading done on the piece- I just laid down different colors of netting. I had put my confetti on top of broadcloth, not batting and it has worked beautifully, been washed several times.

Blog Entries
    Tanya, Would love to see you confetti, it sounds beautiful.

I'm really BAD at taking images, but it is a really easy art form. Exactly as easy as pasting construction paper. Then doing a quilting stitch to hold it all down. EASY PEASY! Absolutely the hardest part is cutting all the little pieces of fabric in the colors that you need. If you had the patience you could do the Mona Lisa. As long as you are copying a photo or anything else, you don't need to be all the creative, just be a copier. Just duplicate what you see. A snap. And, once the dreary job of cutting is done, it is a very fast process.

I think you must be a great teacher!

What do you do after you quilt the tulle = my response

Quote Originally Posted by Honeynga View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but after you quilt on the tulle what then ? Just leave the tulle in place? I think the fun part would be making the confetti ! Need to think on this one for a bit !
    I think she tore off the excess tulle.

Quote Originally Posted by jand635 View Post
    Hello there-
    Well, to make it short, you find your picture, transfer it onto some batting. Then you chop up your fabric using a rotary cutter NOT scissors. Then you sprinkle the tiny pieces onto the batting which is laying on top of your backing. You have to work flat on a flat surface. I encourage students to use a design board (think cardboard or foam core board). Once the design covers the batting to your satisfaction, you cover the whole thing with bridal tulle (fine netting) and you quilt it to death with your machine.

Got it?
    Would it be possible or worthwhile to purchase a pre printed panel of a landscape and then use the confetti on top of that? That way it could be sort of 3d in some areas and not in others. What are your thoughts?

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 5 6