Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Dear Jane Scallops and the Binding >

Dear Jane Scallops and the Binding

Dear Jane Scallops and the Binding

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

There is a book that you would need to buy to get the patterns, or you could do like most of the group and just buy the software...its actually better as you can print out patterns. Most of us ordered the software from Joanne's, but you can find it in most LQS. That would be your best bet.

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
how does one go about making a DJ... i've peeked around on the net.. it seems there are not "defined" directions... is that correct?.... i'm so fascinated with this idea, and love to "create" any ideas, or help would be appreciated...bj
Old 03-03-2011, 10:36 AM

does this software, give directions as to how to put together, or just printouts??
as for all the questions about scallop borders...
i'm sure the one for the DJ must be precise to it's size and design, but there is a WONDERFUL video tut at
MissouriStarquiltco.com
it's the most understandable explantion of how to use the scallop border tool ever... showed my quilting group and they all ran right out and bought one.... LOL
Old 03-03-2011, 04:46 PM
Power Poster

Gramma...the software does NOT tell you how to assemble the blocks. It will allow you to print either templates, foundation patterns or rotary cutting instructions.

I'll have to run over to check out the tute from MSQC..just what I need...to buy another tool!! LOL! Thanks for the heads up on it.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:06 AM

I am a long way off this stage - but thank you this seems fair the easiest way to do it. Also like the use of the clips you use - hadn't thought about using these.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:40 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Brilliant tute Patti! I haven't made a DJ but I might do scallops one day so I've bookmarked... thank you very muchly!
Old 08-03-2011, 08:03 AM

the software templates seem to make the scallops rather pointy.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:30 PM
Power Poster

Well, they are a bit different from mine Sew. I made mine deeper to make the quilt a tiny bit larger.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:54 PM

so did i. i made one long strip for each side. 4.5 deep. i believe each one will be marked off at 5 inc. will work on that tomorrow before i sandwich. i think it's going to finish around 95" sq. by the time the binding is on it. unless i measured wrong today, as i measured, and added.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

I think thats about what mine ended up as also Sew. I made a plastic template from the one printed off of the software, marked all the scallops on the strip. It may be a good idea to sew the strip on the quilt and mark the scallops, but to go ahead and quilt it before you trim the scallops.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:14 AM

it looks like the software has you making an extra piece and sewing to the top of each scallope. and i think they are wanting that to be the binding. and doing the scallops the old fashioned way of putting right sides together. anyway, did you put that extra piece on your quilt and then add the binding? maybe your brown just pops out, because of the way you quilted it. thx, sunny

and Please, where do i find the link for the tut on making the bias binding? thx found it. duh, it's on this lst page.

yes, sandpat. i sewed the strip on, just like you did, and howyou told us. will mark them, but not cut them till after i get done quilting. prob next spring. :-) the square edges will enable me to pin in the frame good. pic's soon.