Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Easy no marking at all Flying Geese

Easy no marking at all Flying Geese

I love flying geese, but hate having to mark the backs, and couldn't afford that expensive ruler that starts with R and F (don't think I am allowed to say the name.) Found this Omni and with a store coupon, was less than $10 including tax, and it makes geese units in finished sizes from 1 by 2" to 4 by 8" The 4-1/2" x 8-1/2" unfinished block makes into a 8-1/2" unfinished sawtooth star, with addition of ends and a middle. Sooooo easy!

I am making little geese pieces using the 2" mark on the ruler, which means I cut my strips at 2-1/2". Instructions with the ruler were super simple, and I cut all the piece in a flash. Cut the small pieces with the strip doubled, so you get a right and a left side piece. I am doing these with a gray background, and scrappy centers. These geese units, see my sample using 4 geese, will be sewn end to end, making a piece 4-12" wide, and width of quilt for borders.

Cut the triangle pieces double so you get a right side and a left side. Both the triangle and body pieces are cut from 2-1/2" pieces. Lay a triangle on a body, matching the point. The flat portion of the triangle will lap on the flat portion of the body. Sew, press, sew the other one and press. And that's it!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When life gives you scraps, make a colorful happy quilt.

Is the ruler called a flying geese ruler? I made a quilt that had over 200 FG units and it took forever. I found Eleanor Burns method really helpful and accurate. I liked it because it made 4 geese units at a time. But I'm interested in the ruler you're recommending. Your blocks look very nice.

You can't say R and F but you can say Omni ? Thanks for the info, I'll check up on it.

Now I'm racking my brain trying to figure out who R and F is. Maybe it will come to me when I've had more coffee!!

I like making flying geese the "no waste" way. No tiny pieces to work with and they are always accurate. You end up with four at a time. So much easier.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

I too prefer Eleanor Burn's method of making flying geese from two triangles. You can see any off mistakes you make when you do the final trimming. I just use a square up ruler and not her specialty ruler.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Me. too and no bias edges as in the Eleanor Burns method I've seen!!

Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    I like making flying geese the "no waste" way. No tiny pieces to work with and they are always accurate. You end up with four at a time. So much easier.
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    https://www.connectingthreads.com/CT...6/sitelogo.jpg I like this way. Seems so much easier to me.

I am glad there's so many ways to choose what works
    best for yourself. Personal I love EB geese

Thanks for the info. I will need to read up on this ruler.

Connie

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maviskw View Post
    How do you do that?

I'm doing a sampler from the quilt shop and they have us using a big square, put two smaller squares on opposite corners, sew on either side, cut in half, press and then put another small square on the piece left, sew, trim and voila. Except I had to make a bunch of practice ones. The method is the second one on this tutorial. First sentence is "now for our favorite quick method that yields 4 flying geese blocks with no waste!"
    https://www.connectingthreads.com/tu...hods__D15.html
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    I'm doing a sampler from the quilt shop and they have us using a big square, put two smaller squares on opposite corners, sew on either side, cut in half, press and then put another small square on the piece left, sew, trim and voila. Except I had to make a bunch of practice ones. The method is the second one on this tutorial. First sentence is "now for our favorite quick method that yields 4 flying geese blocks with no waste!"
    Brilliant!!!
    Karen

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    This is the link I tried to reference earlier. I've done a few already super easy and little waste.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post