Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Mini quilt book to hold cut block pieces

I'm in the 365 day challenge started in Australia...the first blocks are 3" finished. I have been cutting several out and then sewing, so here's a way to keep them and other small blocks all together while piecing.

Instead of using my good rotary cutter, I used the one I have designated for Paper. Cut 8 1/2" squares of a inexpensive flannel backed vinyl tablecloth, leaving the manufactured edge in place. I cut 14 squares...it is quite thick..

Layer the squares in a pile with vinyl side up.

Using clips or binder clips "pin" the squares together on all four sides, keeping the manufactured edges on the same side.

With a slightly longer straight stitch length, sew 1/2" seam, removing clips as you sew ... put the flannel side down next to the feed dogs...I didn't and it slipped about--duh...notice the sloppy seam
    Name:  fabric book 1thru8.jpg
Views: 3272
Size:  234.8 KB Name:  fabric book 1thru82.jpg
Views: 3231
Size:  108.3 KB Name:  fabric book 1thru81.jpg
Views: 3179
Size:  207.3 KB

Here's how my unsewn blocks look
    Name:  fabric book 1thru83.jpg
Views: 3287
Size:  356.8 KB Name:  fabric book 1thru84.jpg
Views: 3215
Size:  263.2 KB

It's easy to transport blocks to a sit n sew, simply close the book and cinch with a binder clip

I made mine 8 1/2 " thinking it would handle up to 6" block pieces, but it could be made larger--14-15" to accomodate 12" finished blocks.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

What a great idea--thanks for sharing it. I have 2 projects going right now, one is 6" blocks the other is 4". I keep moving the piles from one place to another. This would keep them separate and organized.
    Imagine all the people living life in peace...(John Lennon 1940-1980)

Blog Entries
    You're welcome, Jan...and who says you have to make only one book...
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Very smart. Thanks for posting!

What a very clever way of keeping all those pieces together. I am doing a BOM and I still haven't had a chance to start on January's block yet, 365 day would bury me!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I made a couple of those years ago. I used a pillow print and made them about 18 inches square with batting pages and muslin separators. It has proved to be very useful in keeping the pieces of each block in place. Mine rolls up and ties so that nothing can escape and it can be taken to workshops, etc.

Blog Entries
    Aren't they great, Iclang?...the 18" size would work well for individual blocks or a bunch of mini quilts. I may make a bigger one for the bits of fabric I use for my mini quilts. How many pages were in your "book"?
    I wanted something quick and inexpensive...the slippery vinyl side keeps the pieces on the flannel as your muslin pieces do.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

WOW!!!! That's awesome!!! Going to make me one right now!!!! I was using paper plates to store mine, but no more!!!

I had thought that using large squares of old wallpaper was a good way to keep squares organized was a good idea, but this is much better because the flannel holds the blocks in place, while the plastic prevents the pieces from sticking to the "wrong" block. And, whenever you stop, you can close the "book" and hold it together with a paper clamp. This is a great idea.

The best thing since sliced bread! Thank you.
    Peace

Thank you for sharing your very neat idea!

This is a great idea! I am getting ready to start 3 different Dear Jane quilts (Civil War reproduction, batik, and pastel - yes, I am crazy) and I am also working on a Little Brown Bird quilt. This will really help to keep me organized and the blocks together. I can't wait to make some of these.

Thank you for sharing your idea!

I needed something like that for taking demo blocks to my guild, used some cream colored felt and cut the blocks 16". They fit nicely in a pizza box but can be used on my design wall. Love your idea for your smaller blocks as it is real easy to lose your cut pieces. Thanks for the idea.

Blog Entries
    This idea grew out of this thread I started a while ago...the. building a better mousetrap concept

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...ks-t40231.html
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Great way to keep those pieces together. Thanks for sharing.
    I don't know how to do that.....YET!
    Life Is About Using The Whole Box Of Crayons.

What a great idea! IWanted to do the challenge, but we are in Arizona till march and all my stash is at home! May start on it when I get home but hate being so far behind! I do keep all the patterns but have not decided what I will do yet?
    Mary

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by almond View Post
    What a great idea! IWanted to do the challenge, but we are in Arizona till march and all my stash is at home! May start on it when I get home but hate being so far behind! I do keep all the patterns but have not decided what I will do yet?
    There's so much you can do with these little blocks....I've been saving them too, as I'm not on schedule...meanwhile we could have blizzard conditions tomorrow...enjoy your AZ trip..sounds like you've been here and there...G
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

Power Poster
    What a great idea, thanks for sharing.

Thank you for sharing this!

What a great idea!! Thanks for sharing.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Such great ideas! oksewglad, thank you for this thread and the great pictures. And Iclang, I can see possibilities for all the bags of batting scraps in my closet.
    One step at a time, always forward.

What a brilliant idea!
    While looking at this I was thinking that if you cut the outside (cover) 3 times the width of the other pieces, then you could fold over the front piece by 1/3 and run a stitch line down the folded edge to hold it in place. Then lay the rest of the squares you cut on the back 1/3 with the flannel facing up, fold the front over them and using a heavier thread, stitch down the folded edge to hold all the pieces in place. This would give you a book with all the vinyl on the outside & when you opened the cover, the vinyl will be on top and the first page would have the flannel facing up to put your blocks on. This way there is no flannel on the outside to pick up dust or stray threads and you can keep it cleaner.

I would make one to show you but I hurt my legs and haven't been able to sew for a year now but as soon as I'm able, this will defiantly be one of the first things I will make.
    Last edited by seasaw2mch; 02-08-2016 at 07:21 AM.

pal
    Wonderful idea for appliqué pieces. I'm going to try the same principle for the embroidery thread for each individual project - that's always a problem for me. Wow - this idea opens up a whole new world! Thank you so much oksewglad!!
    PACE - Positive Attitude Changes Everything

"All things are literally better, lovlier, and more beloved for the imperfections that reflect the human effort that went into their making."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by seasaw2mch View Post
    What a brilliant idea!
    While looking at this I was thinking that if you cut the outside (cover) 3 times the width of the other pieces, then you could fold over the front piece by 1/3 and run a stitch line down the folded edge to hold it in place. Then lay the rest of the squares you cut on the back 1/3 with the flannel facing up, fold the front over them and using a heavier thread, stitch down the folded edge to hold all the pieces in place. This would give you a book with all the vinyl on the outside & when you opened the cover, the vinyl will be on top and the first page would have the flannel facing up to put your blocks on. This way there is no flannel on the outside to pick up dust or stray threads and you can keep it cleaner.

I would make one to show you but I hurt my legs and haven't been able to sew for a year now but as soon as I'm able, this will defiantly be one of the first things I will make.
    Oh I think I'll try this for the next one I do....I love it when an idea builds and changes...glad to see that so many are seeing new ways to apply this.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho

My "block buddy" starts with a sturdy paper roll (think Christmas wrapping paper) cut to your desired length. Make a round top and bottom cover and then make the length of your book you want it to be. Attach your roller by gluing or sewing to the fabric as it meets your cover. You can lay your blocks in the roller, roll it up, and tie with a ribbon until you need to open your roller up. I have given many of these as gifts. They last a long time and the colors are lovely when you finish.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast