Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Easy peasy hunter star and variations.

WOW, Thank you for this tut. When I looked at your pictures, I thought, Now why didn't I think of that. Again thank you. I can't wait to get started with this block.
    gmacindy

I am brand new to this site. LOVE your approach! I have been drooling over the hunter star for a long time, but haven't mastered the bias edge or scant 1/4" enough to try. Taking apart a quilt now that was supposed to be a wedding gift. The blocks came out different sizes from 15"-17" (kind impossible to make that work). Anyway, this really short circuts bias issues from the look of it. I could not tell what size your finished squares (which became triangles) were, as that pic was a little distorted. I'm also kicking around some thoughts to cut down on waste a little bit, because I LOVE your concept.

Blog Entries
    Hunters Star is SO easy with Deb Tuckers ruler, I have made at least Four Hunter Star quilts from scrappy to two fabrics only they all come out beauitful

Blog Entries
    looking good!!!

Thank you for this tutorial. You are so clever!!

I need to try this method.
    Thanks!
    Have a nice day ! Happy quilting , everyone !
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...75-albums.html

Nicole

Love it Thanks!

Here's written instructions I personally authored for those who didn't understand the photos from the original post.

Hunters Star Block Construction

• Calculate desired finished block size + 1.25” to define Measurement A: _______ = block trim size.
    • Divide Measurement A by 2 to define Measure B: _______ = cut strip length & sub-block trim size.
    • Divide Measure B by 3 to define Measurement C: _______ = cut strip width size.
    • Multiply Measurement C by 2.25 to define Measurement D: _______ = square cut size of corner triangles.

• For each sub-block, cut 3 strips of 2 light/dark fabric colors using measurements B & C.
    • Pair 2 light strips with 1 dark strip,
      & pair 2 dark strips with 1 light strip.
    • With right-sides-together, mark & sew corners as shown.
    • Trims seam allowances and press towards dark fabric.
    • With right-sides-together, pair up and sew two strips facing opposite directions.
    • Cut squares of each fabric color using Measurement D, then cut each square diagonally to obtain corner triangles.
    • Pair and sew two triangles of opposite fabric colors to sides of each strip length as shown with centers aligned.
    • Press seam allowances open & trim to Measurement B.
    • For each finished block, arrange and sew four sub-blocks together as shown.
    • Sew blocks into desired number of rows, then rows into a completed quilt top.

Here's what photo 3 and 4 of the original post should look like.
    Name:  Photo 3 and 4 Replacements.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  27.0 KB

Great job, if you study the photos and follow the pictures as if you are assembling the 4 squares and the sewing the 4 squares into the one makes it so easy! Thanks
    Beautiful.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take
    But by the number of moments that take our breath away!
    God bless you!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    There are a lot of Hunter's Star techniques on YouTube.
    Quote Originally Posted by maryellen2u View Post
    Is ther a place to get a tutorial or even a pattern with directions since I cannot attend the class in Nova Scotia?

Sure would like to ear f that worked o not.

Quote Originally Posted by midwestmarykay View Post
    I looked at the squares on the cutting board, and it looks like the strips are 2" x 5" . . . I'm going to go try it and see if it works :-)

Looks great! Isn't it funny how you come up with different ways of doing things and then find that somebody else thought of it too and put it in print. Thanks for sharing.
    Confirmed fabric-holic seeking 12 step treatment program or a storage building.

It is easy to see the size of each block since you laid it all out on the mat. Thanks.
    ABCDEFG

I just finished up a Hunters Star --two colored--using te rapid fire ruler By Deb, It was the best investment I did. It goes so fast and everything turns out perfect. It took me 2 days to get the quilt top cut and pieced. It will fit a double bed easily. Just have to get it quilted now. I did it in grey and hot pink for my dgd for Christmas. When I get a few more ufo,s done I want to do another one 3 colored.
    I have the 7 to 10 inch ruler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2