Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
English Paper Pieced Hexagons >

English Paper Pieced Hexagons

English Paper Pieced Hexagons

Old 08-14-2010, 08:47 AM

Thanks for the link. I used in a different way. I just bought fabric for a one block wonder and wanted to figure out how many blocks I would need to cut to make a quilt. Well I printed out a template, adjusting the size to 1 inch and found out if my octagons were 12 inches, which is the size I want to make,I will need to cut 30 6 inch (unfinished) 45 degree triangles for a 60X72" quilt. Fabulous!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the great tute, I am making a Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt and every thing helps to keep me working on it!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Evelynquilts
I am working on one now...This is the same method I use.My heagon is 1" so I cut my fabric 3"..square...gives me plenty of room to baste, then after sewing together I trim to 1/4" seam...
Old 08-14-2010, 09:40 AM

Glad you are enjoying the tutorial! Thanks all for answering the questions that were asked. Yes, the paper and basting stitches will come out after they are joined. I use hand quilting thread, but I'm sure you could use whatever you had. I will do another tutorial for joining and making the flowers when I get to that stage :)
Old 08-14-2010, 10:59 AM

I got my first 6 done while riding in the car to pick up my 10yo grandson from his first 2 week camp, here outside of San Antonio. The first one,(hexagon) I had to stop and redo since I wasn't aware of the shifting and had no seam allowance at the last point, live and learn but I do enjoy the mindlessness of it. I sewed all the squares I add cut so now I need to work on another stack of squares. Thanks for the tutorial, Cindy
Old 08-14-2010, 11:58 AM

I use this site also to make my hex's. http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

I like how you can adjust the printer for different sizes. The small hex's are for a lap quilt.

The larger ones are for an I Spy quilt. I take EPP along in the car, Dr's office, ets. Mindless work and keeping my hands busy.

Great tut.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-97271.jpe   attachment-97272.jpe  
Old 08-14-2010, 01:53 PM

I made coasters for the whole family last year for Christmas. They loved them. It was something I could do on the truck easily. :D :D
Old 08-14-2010, 03:10 PM

This sounds like a WINNER !!!!!
Old 08-16-2010, 07:41 AM

What am I doing wrong? It looks like you have pictures with your tute, but I can't see them. Tried right click and download pics, but it didn't work. Also, the one link is blocked here, so I can't see that. Any ideas on how to get the pictures to show?
Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by wvdek
I use this site also to make my hex's. http://incompetech.com/graphpaper/hexagonal/

I like how you can adjust the printer for different sizes. The small hex's are for a lap quilt.

The larger ones are for an I Spy quilt. I take EPP along in the car, Dr's office, ets. Mindless work and keeping my hands busy.

Great tut.
I like the fabric selection you have chosen in the pile, very sweet...