Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Fabric covered needlework box >

Fabric covered needlework box

Fabric covered needlework box

Old 12-27-2009, 05:06 PM

Uh oh, just found this post again. After a couple of projects are in the mail this week, then I think I shall attempt this one. Think it will also help me to re-cover an old jewelry box that I found at a flea market that will hold all of my baubles and then some.

Love all your purdy boxes ladies. Hope to see more.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:45 AM

Okay, number 3 done, hope you like it. These are all for belated Christmas presents.

Next one is definately for me I have been sent the most beautiful butterfly fabric by my Secret Santa who just happened to be Lacelady, lucky me heh.

Elle

No 3 for a dear friend
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61719[/ATTACH]

Inside
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61720[/ATTACH]

All 3 box gifts
[ATTACH=CONFIG]61721[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-61714.jpe   attachment-61715.jpe   attachment-61716.jpe  
Old 12-29-2009, 07:07 AM

ButterflySpain, Beautiful boxes!! I love the oriental fabric.

I have made a start, sort of
I made the templates, now to go choose the fabric and cut the templates out of the card.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:13 AM

Thank you so much for the compliments, I have to get some goodies now to put in each one.

Elle
Old 12-29-2009, 09:25 AM

Butterfly

What kind of cardboard are you useing for your boxes that are so very beautiful. Chrickett
Old 12-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Well I chose the fabric from my stash, a Kaffe Fassett, and cut out most of cardboard I had on hand. Can you believe it...I ran out of cardboard with the 6 lining rectangles left:(
I will go out tomorrow and look for more. I think what I used was matting board.
I was thinking I would make a template out of freezer paper to cut the hex's out of the fabric. I hope to make them for my nieces, after I make the first one :)
Old 12-29-2009, 12:55 PM

I am using shoe boxes, but they are not quite big enough for the top and base so found some toy boxes that had been thrown away by someone. I have used corrugated, the only porblem with that is it makes the boxes heavy.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:21 PM
pal

Heavy is good - isn't it? I love all of them, especially the Asian looking one. It looks like it is not as high as the others, like a box to keep pearls in. How do you cut the mat board, with an exacto knife? Have you tried the foam core? This is a wonderful project, but it looks like a job for a perfectionist.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Power Poster

Elle, that latest box is absolutely delightful, well done, you are making a great job of them. Corrugated is OK, but as you say, makes for a heavier box, but that shouldn't detract.

Brush, Matt board is a great card to use, will make a really sturdy box. And don't worry too much about getting the hex's in fabric exact, because all the edges get wrapped to the other side of the card and stuck down, or in the case of the outer lid, the edges get covered with the brim covering, so be sure to leave yourself a good allowance, (at least half an inch, but I tend to leave three quarters of an inch if I have enough fabric.)

Pal, I use an old blade in a rotary cutter to cut my card, it works a treat. I always mark the old ones with some nail varnish so I know which is which.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Power Poster

Great job Elle! Those are beautiful boxes! I want to start on #2...pulled the fabric for it..duh...not enough cardboard left. I'll round some up in the next day or so hopefully.

Yes, you really need to make one for yourself! Mine went over good as a gift...I put in 3 spools of thread, a small pair of scissors, some elastic (I keep borrowing from my friend), and some pins. She loved it, so I'm a hero now..see the huge "S" on my chest????