Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Fabric from the garbage can! >

Fabric from the garbage can!

Fabric from the garbage can!

Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by irma tapia
I think it would be wise to first find out if they can receive this type of gift. They move around a lot and to have a quilt to move with them might be troublesome. Have you ever thought of going to the airport when their flights come in and give it to one of the guys? That is an awesome sight I'm told.
Irma
I made one for my grandson last September. He deployed for Iraq two days later. He shares a very small trailer with another soldier and that quilt hangs as their room divider. He told me he'd get it into his gear bag one way or another!! typical young guy/soldier, he loves to play Poker

poker quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104959[/ATTACH]

first glimpse
[ATTACH=CONFIG]104960[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-104954.jpe   attachment-104955.jpe  
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Hello Jeannie,

This is very encouraging, thank you so much for posting this. God love your dear grandson. What a beautiful gift Jeannie. You are a treasure.

Sincerely
Marie
Old 08-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Now I won;t have to give away my trash can scraps. Thanks for the great idea. I have lots of little pieces left from my postage stamp quilt and several others.ade and sent to Iraq. Used all bigger pieces in kids charity quilts. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by monetgardening
These are all so gorgeous. I seriously like the idea of sending a quilt to anyone in the services. I'm thinking how nice it would be to send a quilt of this type to a service person away from home. Maybe we could all contribute a square that we make and sign with where we are from also and someone could sew it together and send it? I would definitely be willing to contribute to the cost.
That's an even better idea, making a signature square and putting them all together in quilts. we could really make quite a few and get several quilts done that way. I love your idea, I would also be willing to contribute to the cost. Our service personnel are putting their lives on the line for us, and we could at least give them something from home for showing our love, loyalty and encouragement. If we can get this started, we need to find a location to send squares to and make sure we know what size we want to use, etc. Let's put some thought into this and get a few more ideas, for quilt size etc. They would need to have something light weight, to carry around when they are moving from place to place, but I would love to do something for the brave young people. I pray for them and their loved ones left behind all the time. I have donated to care packages that were being set out for them in our local community. I also feel helpless in not doing anything for them when they are doing so much for me and everyone else.This would make me feel so good, just knowing I may give any of them a daily 'hug' lift so to speak, with something from home.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:04 PM

Exactly Gerbie!! Thank you so much!!

Marie
Old 08-27-2010, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by monetgardening
Exactly Gerbie!! Thank you so much!!

Marie
O. K. Marie, so how do you think we need to get this thing rollin along. Perhaps we should start a new thread and call it maybe garbage can quilts for service personnel or what and see how many others might be interested in joining us. Throw out some ideas gal. PM me if you have any new ideas, and we won't take up all of this thread on the topic. We can share with others as well.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:43 PM

Ok :) new Topic , here goes.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi Gerbie,

I looked and I'm not certain how to start a new topic . Would you mind starting it? Never had this problem before.LOL

Thank you Gerbie
Marie
Old 08-28-2010, 04:59 AM

I;m all for it but can they receive a quilt, are they going to be able to keep it with them? Can someone find out first? Does anyone have any military ties so we can find out?
Old 08-28-2010, 05:02 AM

WOW!!!! Jeannie that's very nice and it's good to know that he has it with him. I guess that answers my question.