Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Gift Certificate Holders >

Gift Certificate Holders

Gift Certificate Holders

Old 06-09-2010, 11:31 AM

Thanks .. your welcome ;)>> look forward to seeing the variations that come for this ;)
Old 06-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Power Poster

What a great tute. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 03:18 AM

Hey Janice4, We use to do bonds also until our oldest grandson found out that you have to wait 30 years before cashing. He needs them now and they still aren't mature. So now we just have savings accounts for them.
Old 06-10-2010, 12:06 PM

GREAT JOB!! That is a very cute idea!! I think that I will enjoy making some of those too!! :wink:
Old 06-10-2010, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Nancy S.
Hey Janice4, We use to do bonds also until our oldest grandson found out that you have to wait 30 years before cashing. He needs them now and they still aren't mature. So now we just have savings accounts for them.
unfortunately with bank interest rates being so LOW it is hard to make money that way.. with the EE bonds.. you Know in 20 years you make the value..( double what you paid) you also make interest monthly not like some bonds that is every 6 months. She doesn't need it now anyways. I bonds have flutuating rates and will pay for up to 30 years.. .2% ::( .such a low rate you make very little and EE you know you wil double;). it today's economy a cd sucks too... interest rates are horrible there , the stock market is also a very huge up and down risk.. so it is a nice way to put money aside for her.. you can cash them in with no penalty after 5 years if you want.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:32 PM

At today's rate.. for I Bonds if you buy a 50 dollar bond and will pay $70 at the end of the 20 years with EE bonds you will invest $50 and get a guaranteed $50.00 it just makes more sense. Because the E bonds are fixed.. if the I bonds ever go up in interest rate you could cash in the EE and put in I bonds.. but at .2 % ( point two percent) for I bonds NOw EE is the way to go.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Sue Fish
Originally Posted by janice4
This is my first tutorial so please bear with me . I am a visual learner so there is many pictures for you to refer to in case I am not making myself very clear. I have a lot of trouble understanding patterns ......this is why I just figure it out and do it. :) I will post the pictures and explain as I go.
You will need just scraps of fabric for this project or if you prefer two 6 x 8 inch cuts will be plenty. I used steam a seam for stability.

You will trace two templates 2 3/4 x 3 3/4 inch and the second template will have a little dip in center. You can draw the first one out and fold in half to make the curve . I cut my templates out of plastic as I intend to make many of these.

Lay your template on top of steam and seam and trace pattern for both templates.
Place the steam a seam onto the wrong side of the fabric you will use. (6 x 8 inch piece )
Steam in place with a pressing cloth or another piece of fabric over top.
Cut these pieces out and peel off the backing of the steam a seam.
Now lay these pieces onto the wrong side of second piece of fabric (6 x 8inch ) and steam together.
Cut these out and you can top stitch the one with the dip if you like.
Lay both pieces together and sew 1/4 inch seams down the sides and bottom and back up the other side and you are done !! Trim to 1/8 inch and fill with a gift card.
Very nice!
We give our 14 yr old grand daughter money each wk for her main Christmas gift and we had a gift card envelope that we fill and hand to her and she hands it back to us for the next wk...lol this would be nice for that...
thanks for sharing
Excellent tutorial. Sue, What a great idea. We give money to the grands and great-grands for Christmas, birthdays, rewards, etc. What an excellent idea to have them return the envelope. I must make some of these. Oh, and I like the idea of giving the money in increments. As it is now, they plan on how they'll spend their larger amount.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:43 AM

My daughter who is married and with kidlet.. loves gift certs as well;).. it is easy for em and she gets what she wants. I will use these at christmas as well so easy to make.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:50 AM

My grandson will be getting one for his birthday, this month!! Thanks for the great idea!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 06-11-2010, 01:23 PM

Great idea! You did a very nice job with the tute, and I know I'll be making some of these. Thanks for sharing.