Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To Baste A Quilt Using Spray Starch

Holy cow!!!! Does it work on large quilts or do you recommend just qayg blocks? Awesome!!

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by copehome View Post
    What is your ratio of elmers to water in your mix? I tried my mixture in a spritz bottle and could only manage to get a steady stream rather than the wide spray that I wanted. (Yes, the nozzle was turned to spray!!)
    The only spray bottle I have found that even likes the elmers / water mix without a stream is the Misto bottle, It acts like an aerosol can, only without the chemicals. As for the ratio, I use the marks on a bottled water bottle so I am not sure exactly but honestly it has to be somewhere around 1 part glue 4 parts water. The Misto bottle really makes it coat evenly and a little glue goes a long way. I HATE regular spray bottles they are way too messy for me,
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Quote Originally Posted by linynp View Post
    Holy cow!!!! Does it work on large quilts or do you recommend just qayg blocks? Awesome!!
    I have not used it myself on a large project yet, but I always machine baste any project as well even when I use 505 or Elmer's . I like added security LOL.
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Blog Entries
    This is really interesting! I will need to give this a try. Thanks for the post and the idea!

My computer just shows a blank screen that says" No video with supported format and MIME type found??????? Would love to see the video, is there somewhere else to find it????? Thank you!
    Busy in Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by slightlyoffquilter View Post
    1. Lay your batting down first on an ironing safe surface ( this is important ! )

2. Spray your starch onto the batting ! You want enough to cover the batting, but you don't want it wet. I always give one coat to the entire batting, then a small spray around the edges to make sure they are covered well.

3. Lay you backing down ontop of the batting. You could do your top first as well, it really makes no difference.

4. Smooth your backing / top down with your hands to remove any wrinkles or folds. Do not stretch it, just gently work out the bubbles. Your fabric should feel moist to the touch but not saturated !

5. Using your hot iron, press your fabric on top of the batting until it is dry ! Run your hands over the fabric to check for areas that are still damp.

6. Allow it to cool for a moment then flip it over and repeate the process for the other side ( either backing or top whichever you did not do first )

7. Double check both sides to ensure there are no bubbles or folds.

8. I always baste in the ditch even when i am using 505 or elmers to baste as i like the added security of knowing my sandwitch is held firmly in place. I set my machine to a stitch length of 7 and use a bright neon colored thread and run it along the major block seams ( just as if i was going to stitch the ditch only with very large stitches and easy to see thread ) in a grid pattern. If my quilting calls for stitching in the ditch i just go ahead and stitch the ditch instead of basting it in the thread color of my quilting.

thank you!!!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    Okay, call me crazy ( I take no offense to that anyway ! ) , but I made a very awesome mistake turned light bulb moment today ! While I was going through getting my quilt blocks sandwiched to do my QAYG quilt I am working on, I was happily spraying and pressing away till the phone rang and disrupted me. When I went back to finish , I started out where I left off, going about spraying and pressing again, until I looked at the can that was in my hand. It had suddenly dawned on me that I was spraying with the purple can (Easy On Spray Starch ), and not the red ( 505 Basting Spray ) ! Not ony that, but my can of 505 was still sitting on my wine rack ( they make awesome can holders btw ! )I had not been using it all day ! I thought to myself, CRAP ! Actually I said that out loud LOL. But Here I was thinking I was going to have to go back and redo ALL those blocks all over again ! But, amazingly enough ... I didn't ! Check out the video below to see my new favorite ( and budget friendly ) way to baste !

This is a great idea. I will definitely try this as I don't like the fumes of the basting spray.

Why do you press the quilt sandwich after basting. I just usually let the quilt laying flat for a few hours to make sure it's dry. Is that where the pressing comes in? Or is the pressing for an other reason?

Wonderful find.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

Does this only work when using cotton batting? I would think that polyester would melt with a hot iron.

I had never used basting spray 505 because I had heard that you have to have plenty of air around you but this is great! I am so tired of pinning and can hardly wait to try this. Sounds wonderful and so reasonable! More money for fabric and you have to like that.

Thanks for the great tutorial. A few days late for me but since I will be finishing up some quilt tops in the near future, I am sure I will use your tip. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
    Does this only work when using cotton batting? I would think that polyester would melt with a hot iron.
    Yes, I would not recommend using 100 % poly batting with this method as it does require ironing. I used it on Hobbs 80/20 blend with no issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
    This is a great idea. I will definitely try this as I don't like the fumes of the basting spray.

Why do you press the quilt sandwich after basting. I just usually let the quilt laying flat for a few hours to make sure it's dry. Is that where the pressing comes in? Or is the pressing for an other reason?

With the starch you really need to iron it so that the heat from the iron pulls the starch up from the batting into the fabric allowing it to stick together.

Wow! Great tip! I'm def going to try that. And I love your video. It was a perfect tutorial. Thank you!

Blog Entries
    I will be trying spray starch the next time I baste, just to see if it works.
    Thanks for making this mistake.
    If life gives you lemons, make a margarita.

The only spray bottle I have found that even likes the elmers / water mix without a stream is the Misto bottle, It acts like an aerosol can, only without the chemicals. As for the ratio, I use the marks on a bottled water bottle so I am not sure exactly but honestly it has to be somewhere around 1 part glue 4 parts water. The Misto bottle really makes it coat evenly and a little glue goes a long way. I HATE regular spray bottles they are way too messy for me,
    My Misto bottle has been ordered & is on the way! Some "recipes" add a few drops of dishwashing soap - do you add anything to the elmers & water?

Nope, I only add water and glue ! And like I said, I use somewhere around a 1 part glue to 4 parts water ratio. LOL this is my actual measurement apparatus !

Name:  Elmers Glue Mix.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  1.20 MB

Love visuals! Thanks so much

sure want to try this...after having a lung taken out the spray baste is very difficult to use. Which elmers glue do you gals use to dilute down and in what ways do you use it?

Wonderful tips..thank you thank you...that would work wonderfully for placemats etc. also

Judy in Phx, AZ

Yes, I would not recommend using 100 % poly batting with this method as it does require ironing. I used it on Hobbs 80/20 blend with no issue.
    Just an FYI:
    I did try using this method on 100% poly batting. The spray starch method does not hold on the poly batting, and when you iron it, the batting flattens. I was ok with the flattened batting as it was easier to quilt on my DSM, but sure wasted a lot of time and effort in the trial and error department. lol I'd bought the poly batting for some quilts to be donated because it was cheaper, but won't buy it again.
    Being skinny isn't easy, so I gave up and opted for being sexy instead. (aunty acid)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for this! I just found it on facebook! I shared to my facebook page.
    Keep an open heart.. listen with your eyes.. lend a hand and life will be filled with purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
    Just an FYI:
    I'd bought the poly batting for some quilts to be donated because it was cheaper, but won't buy it again.
    What I have been using for smaller donation quilts ( provided they do not have any white areas ) is to use the thin fleece throw blankets , you can usually pick them up for $3 or so , sometimes 3 for $5 on sale. They are about 50 x 60 in size. The nursing home residents love them because they are warm without being heavy, so they are easier to manage !

Should have specified, I use the blankets as batting !

Blog Entries
    I am thrilled to find this idea!
    From a gal who calls myself "Krazy Kiffie", thanks for being "slightly off quilter"!
    K
    Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest~Mark Twain

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast