Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: How To Baste A Quilt Using Spray Starch

Blog Entries
    What a great idea! I admit though, when the subject turned from spray starch to Elmers glue I was surprised. I'll have to try both to see which one I like most.
    Where do you find the thin fleece blankets. I have used the fleece you buy by the yard for baby blankets and it has worked out very well but would prefer a lighter blanket.
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Super helpful. Thank you for sharing. Glad you had an accidental idea.

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sunrise450 View Post
    Where do you find the thin fleece blankets. I have used the fleece you buy by the yard for baby blankets and it has worked out very well but would prefer a lighter blanket.
    I find them all the time at the Family Dollar , Dollar General type stores. I also find them at our CVS in the fall as well. They are about 50 x 60 in size and usually about $3 - $5 unless on sale. I stock up on them in the end of winter when they put all the winter stuff on sale and can get them for 5 for $10 which is nice. They usually come in darker or medium colors so they are great for scrappy type quilts with not alot of white / extra light fabrics.
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

Blog Entries
    Maybe I missed it but is the ratio of the starch to water the same as Elmer's glue to water (1 part glue to 4 parts water)?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    I find them all the time at the Family Dollar , Dollar General type stores. I also find them at our CVS in the fall as well. They are about 50 x 60 in size and usually about $3 - $5 unless on sale. I stock up on them in the end of winter when they put all the winter stuff on sale and can get them for 5 for $10 which is nice. They usually come in darker or medium colors so they are great for scrappy type quilts with not alot of white / extra light fabrics.
    Thanks for the information. I haven't visited our Dollar store or Family Dollar store in a few monthes. Guess I am overdue for a visit!
    Good Better Best, never let it rest till the good is better and the better best

Blog Entries
    Amazing. Why does my needle always get gummed up when I use spray starch? Does ironing make the difference?

Senior Member SlightlyOffQuilter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swannie View Post
    Amazing. Why does my needle always get gummed up when I use spray starch? Does ironing make the difference?
    yes you want your fabric to be DRY when you sew it ! Spray the starch on the batting, lay your fabric over that then iron till it is completely dry !
    If you ever see a quilt without any flaws, rest assured that I did not make it ! http://slightlyoffquilter.com

What a great tip! And I LOVE the fabric in your quilt blocks!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyOffQuilter View Post
    yes you want your fabric to be DRY when you sew it ! Spray the starch on the batting, lay your fabric over that then iron till it is completely dry !
    I
    don't know what I am doing wrong, but it does not stick at all.

I watched someone do this for the first time. They taped backing down, good side down, sprayed backing then placed batting on. She was able to lift and adjust as required, then she sprayed again this time on batting, then placed pieced work right side up, adjusted, let it dry, and that's all, no pressing!

Thanks for sharing!
    Jean

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3