Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make Fabric Bowls

Very nice tutorial. I have found another way of doing my strips. I don't cut them on the bias, that way you can use many scraps. I then cut and sew the strips together and put them through my bias tape maker. It's so fast and you don't have the raw edges.

Blog Entries
    Eddie - approx how much fabric did it take to make the bowl?

I used about a yard on each. Since I was cutting on the bias I had large triangles of fabric left over, and needed some of those for the larger bowl to make extra strips, but didn't needed them for the smaller bowl. So a yard of fabric would work either way.

eddie--thanks for the great tutorial, you did an awesome job on it. very inspiring also since it looks fairly easy to do!!

Blog Entries
    Eddie - this tutorial is fantastic. I'm going to make a bowl this weekend. Thank you very much for the directions and pictures!

Blog Entries
    thank you Eddie, easy directions to follow - looking foreard to making bowls, hot plates, coasters ect. you are a great teacher... again thanks for sharing

Eddie,

Great Tutorial. I love all of the pictures.

knitpurlgrrl aka Elizabeth

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn Hendrix
    uuuggghhhh no clothesline at my small town walmart dangit
    I have checked 3 hardware stores in our area plus a K-Mart and a Walmart in another town and none of them had the all cotton clothesline rope. All said "I know they USED to make it," but now all they have is a poly or nylon blend. I'll keep looking.

Check back by the fab dept and ther is cotton cording two sizes with the curtain hard ware... that is where I get mine for smaller bowls. The are 10 yd pkgs. Also if you have Pacific fabrics they cary it or you can but it there also buy the yard...
    I have made many of these and baskets with lids. And nesting sets of bowls.
    You may PM if any questions
    ConnieF

Thank you, Connie. I'll try the hardward store again in the drapery/curtain dept. We don't have the fabric store you spoke of but we have Joann's so I'll also check with them. Thanks again.

I love these bowls and look forward to using your tutorial. Thanks for taking the time to write it for us.
    Serita

Just a note ...I could not find this clothesline at my local Walmart. In fact, I called 3 other Walmarts and they did not carry either. I did find a few remaining packages at one Walmart...I am kind of thinking some Walmarts have discontinued carrying it.

Serita

I found it at Ace Hardware but it was pretty expensive. Something like 11 dollars a package of 100 ft (if I recall correctly).
    Serita

Thank you Eddie! What a perfect tutorial! I was going through some of my fabrics last night and pulled out a few "OMG what was I thinking???" prints. These bowls and hot pads would be prefect for them! Now off to find some clothesline.
    Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by slbram17
    I found it at Ace Hardware but it was pretty expensive. Something like 11 dollars a package of 100 ft (if I recall correctly).
    Serita
    Wow, that was kind of high. :shock: I think the 100' package that I bought at Wal-Mart was a little over $2.

Quote Originally Posted by heidikins
    Thank you Eddie! What a perfect tutorial! I was going through some of my fabrics last night and pulled out a few "OMG what was I thinking???" prints. These bowls and hot pads would be prefect for them! Now off to find some clothesline.
    Heidi
    These are perfect for getting rid of some of those "What was I thinking?" fabric. :) The colors are much more important that the pattern with these, so these are good for using up some of those fabrics that have languished in your stash waiting to be freed. :D

Blog Entries
    Great instructions and so easy to follow. Thanks Eddie!!!

Blog Entries
    Thank you for another awesome tute Eddie!!! :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    I got my 100 ft of cotton clothesline for $4.50 here in Alaska. Cut fabric, covered about 40 feet of rope and now all I need is a quilting needle. I'm so psyched to do this!!

our walmart has it in the bulk chains department, you know chains that cut to the link you want. that is where I found mine.

I MEANT TO THE LENGTH OF CHAIN YOU WANT.

Blog Entries
    Finding the all cotton clothes line is the hardest thing to do!! I found it in the hardware section of the 4th WalMart store I was in. I also found some in a Meier store in Illinois. When you find it, buy several. These bowls are so much fun to make. I did some oval ones by starting the bottom in an oval instead of a circle like Eddie did.

Thanks Eddie for the tut!!

Sue

I went by my local Wal-Mart today and saw that they had restocked the cotton clothesline packages that I had cleaned them out of last week. They had 16 packages today, and I relieved them of 8 more of those. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I went by my local Wal-Mart today and saw that they had restocked the cotton clothesline packages that I had cleaned them out of last week. They had 16 packages today, and I relieved them of 8 more of those. :D
    Lucky you, Eddie. I'm still looking!

How do you do this if you don't own a sewing machine??? Looks like I gotta buy one huh!!? Thank you for your tutorial!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast