Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: How to make Fabric Bowls

Here is a site with a video tutorial that also shows some variations at the end. http://lameinbothfeet.blogspot.com/2...kets-what.html I like Eddie's better in that he wraps all the rope ahead of time. I have made several of these bowls and mats and have wrapped as I went which is very tiring. With Eddie's method I can watch TV and wrap and then the sewing goes much quicker. Eddie this is great job with your tutorial.

Eddie, you contribute so much to this forum. Your tutorial is excellent - clear instructions with perfect photos. You said you used a size 90 needle. Do I need a special sewing foot, or just one that I would use for any zig zag stitch? Do you use cotton or polyester thread? Thanks for all your help! Kudos.

I just used my regular J foot that accommodates a zigzag stitch and it worked fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I just used my regular J foot that accommodates a zigzag stitch and it worked fine.
    Thanks for the tip. I can't wait to get started!

Blog Entries
    Hi Eddie - two questions before I get started on this bowl -
    1--what foot are you using?
    2--does the zigzag go through the rope or just catching the fabric?

thanks for your reply!

Terri

Quote Originally Posted by travlr99
    Hi Eddie - two questions before I get started on this bowl -
    1--what foot are you using?
    2--does the zigzag go through the rope or just catching the fabric?

thanks for your reply!

Terri
    I just used my Brother's J foot, which is the foot for zigzag stitching. And yes you do go through the rope with the needle. I know it sounds "machine abusive" but it's not, at least mine didn't seem to mind at all. :)

Blog Entries
    I wrap my cord before I sew too. I can't imagine doing it the way shown on that other website. Too time consuming and ...well... fragmented. Once I get the fabric and cord glued together (gotta love that Elmer's glue), the baskets come right together!. Thanks Eddie.

you do some assum work on what ever you do.

I am very new to quilting. But I was reading and looking at the tutorial you have on these bowls. They look very interesting. I think I an going to get the supplies this weekend and try and make one. What kinda of thread do you use. Like regular sewing thread or heavy duty sewing thread. I just brought a new brother sewing machine, so I need to put it to good use. Thank You for the very good instructions.

I just used regular sewing thread, nothing special about it.

Have any of you made rag rugs like this? I am going to try this week. Bowls are great but I want a couple of rugs and my hands won't pull thru the rope and fabric. Great job of teaching, Eddie.

Thanks Eddie, I am definitely going to try this! I have a piece of material that I don't really like! :-)

I absolutely love this ! Do you think it would be possiable to continue on and somehow make a small rug ?

I am going to work on a rug with this process next week. I will let you know how it works. Can't see why not. Just keep going around flat.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tutorial!

Thanks Eddie for the wonderful idea and the instructions,it looks the perfect way to make a rag rug. Oh,yeah,they also carry the clotheline rope and Dollar General Stores,I don't know if ya'll have them in your area but a "real" inexpensive store, thus , dollar store !! :thumbup:

Thank you for the detailed tutorial, Eddie! I attempted this a couple time but ended in tears when my needles continued to snap. I spoke to a lady in Paducah this last week who gave me some pointers so with her encouragement and this awesome post I will be trying again very soon. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! :-D

You Da Man!! Eddie.
    I can only wish to be as good as you someday.
    Is that new machine room ready yet. It's almost here isn't it?

Ray..

Hi, Ray! It is ready and waiting. He's going to deliver my Gammill on Sunday. Got an empty spot just waiting on it. :D

Then I guess we won't hear from you for a while. With all of the fun on the (new) machine. Us (old) friends will have to wait for the newness to ware off.
    Just remember to have pictures taken along the way. So we can see all of the beeeeauuuutiiiifullll things you have gotten done, OK?

Ray..

Hi Eddie! I can see right off I bought the wrong kind of rope for this. Well, hubby has a new rope for the boat. Next time at Walmart I'll get a cotton rope. Have you played yet with the new quilting machine? Waiting to hear what projects you got lined up.

Wow, those bowls are really pretty! Thanks for sharing how to do them!

I have read about these bowls,, but never knew how to even start it! Your step by step instructrions are perfect!!!! Thanks a million!!! I can not wait to start this project with my children,, I think they would love to play in the glue!!! LOL!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks, this tutorial helped not only with the bowls, but seems I could use this application for a rug using larger rope. Excellent!

Aren't the fun to make, I Miss Embellish Queen so I add beads and bobbles and what knots to finished product.Thanks Eddie

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 ... LastLast