Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

community benefactor Conniequilts's Avatar
    I would also like to know how you finish the sides or do you leave them as is - which is pretty cool.

The back is squares of your background fabric - what is different is that on the front you add windows of color? Also since there are four layers plus the windows this is a heavy quilt. I thought about making one for my bed, but I decided to do something that I could left. I do plan on making a good size wall hanging to go over the bed. I question the suitability of this pattern for a baby since it is so heavy??

Blog Entries
    I loved your tutorial and I plan to make a CW quilt soon. My friend Cathy, her mother hand stitched one off and on for 3 years. She finished it before she passed away. Her blocks are very small. I have a pic of it in this post: http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-88033-1.htm
    Thank you for posting the tute.

Quote Originally Posted by steelecg
    The back is squares of your background fabric - what is different is that on the front you add windows of color? Also since there are four layers plus the windows this is a heavy quilt. I thought about making one for my bed, but I decided to do something that I could left. I do plan on making a good size wall hanging to go over the bed. I question the suitability of this pattern for a baby since it is so heavy??
    Thanks! I knew it was the background fabric, I was curious as to how it looked when its all finished and stitched together :) Anyone have a close up pic?

Quote Originally Posted by LovinMySoldier
    Thanks! I knew it was the background fabric, I was curious as to how it looked when its all finished and stitched together :) Anyone have a close up pic?
    I would be interested in a close up photo as well :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake
    click on the link in my reply judt above yours...it's the second picture.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake
    I will show you my test pieces when I was learning the pattern. I machine quilt so my stitches show through on the back. I can't speak on hand quilting it but I suspect the back would be solid squares. Maybe some of our hand quilters will show the back side of theirs.

Front
    Name:  Attachment-154921.jpe
Views: 398
Size:  59.6 KB

Back side of the squares
    Name:  Attachment-154972.jpe
Views: 389
Size:  38.2 KB

This is the back side of the one on the machine now. The windows are not sewn yet.
    Name:  Attachment-154990.jpe
Views: 382
Size:  49.2 KB

Blog Entries
    great job That's what the back of the one I posted looks like.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AgapeStitches
    great job That's what the back of the one I posted looks like.
    Yours is hand stitched, I believe. So are you saying the stitches go through the back of the quilt too. That is a lot of thickness. I don't hand quilt but it seems like that would be hard to do. I don't remember seeing photos of the back of yours. If no, will you show us?

Blog Entries
    It will be a few days before I can get a pic of the back. It belongs to my friend Cathy and it resides in her home. But I will get one for you to see.

The way I understood it: joining the squares together will create the straight lines on on the back, then the curved lines will be seen on the back as you add each "window".

Hand stitching this took Cathy's Mother 3 years with other projects during this same time.

Great tute!! Please post a pic of the finished quilt. It's going to be awsome in batiks.

Thank you so much for showing me the back! Just what I wanted to see. The back is very pretty too! What size of background squares did you use? I was thinking about using 10 inch squares. Do you think that would be too big? The tut used 8.75? I was thinking about buying some white layer cakes and using those. I hate cutting lol. Thanks for the help.

Give it a try but it takes about 4 times the fabric - I think the tute begins with 8.75 squares but the finished square is like maybe 6 " squares. Check the tute for the finished size blocks.

Give it a try but it takes about 4 times the fabric - I think the tute begins with 8.75 squares but the finished square is like maybe 6 " squares. Check the tute for the finished size blocks.
    I think I might! I am going to start with something small. Looks like a fair bit of work. And a lot of fabric :) I was wondering if the bigger size would look funny. I guess I shall see lol! Thanks

Thanks Eddie,
    A really good tutorial! I have hand made these CW for wall hangings and etc.,I love them they are so pretty. You did a great job explaining. My motto is, "Never too old to learn new tricks" I'm 73 and anxious to try this, mmm, maybe a quilt? ^_^ !

It is not hard to hand sew through all thickness's and yes, when you sew blocks together it makes squares on the bacK. They do take quite a bit of time by hand, but great for when watching a program in the eve. or taking to appointments where you have some time while waiting, or at hospital etc. After seeing what this young man has shared I am going to try a twin quilt and see how it goes. CW are beautiful

This is great! I have to try this one! When you tack down the inner points, are you just doing the point or are you stitching the length of the point?

This is great! I have to try this one! When you tack down the inner points, are you just doing the point or are you stitching the length of the point?

I do just the points,..sometimes I connect the 4 inner points with a cross stitch, sometimes I do each point seperatly, what ever you feel.

Thanks justmetoo

:)

I have always wanted to make a Cathedral Window quilt and saw the link to your tutorial this morning. This is so easy to understand. Thank you so much for taking the time to show everyone how to do this.

What do you do at the end to finish it? With all the points at the top? thanks.

You fold those top, side, and bottom points down and tack stitch them down, then put a binding on like you would any other quilt.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    You fold those top, side, and bottom points down and tack stitch them down, then put a binding on like you would any other quilt.
    Thanks Eddie!

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 ... LastLast