Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17

Thread: Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

You are just genius at explaining all this. Great step by step, now I actually think I could do this.

Are you sure this is not Cathedral Windows for Dummies. lol THANKS
    ABCDEFG

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tut very good

Have to echo everything that other people have said, brilliant, clear tute, thank you so much.

I was so frustrated with my small handsewn (and very scruffy) CW efforts last night that I unpicked the lot!! Restarted again today using your method and the difference is unbelievable! I will machine all my blocks together, then take the windows along to my craft club to sew in by hand.

Your tutorial solved my 2 major problems. One was whether or not I could do this on a machine and the other was what a cathedral window quilt would look like using a printed fabric for the blocks and solid fabric for the windows (every other quilt of this style showed single color blocks with patterened windows). Thank you so much!

I think I might be ready to try this now! Thanks!
    Enjoy your day,
    Jan

A fat quarter is not a body part!

Thanks so much for the easy to understand instructions.. I am going to be making a CW Quilt and have been looking on how to's this is the best and nice part especially it is all machine stitched...

Good job, looks great.
    Freedom to speak is a gift ;please don't take it from us..

I want to make the machine stitched Cathedral Windows quilt using Eddie's tutorial. I will use muslin and different colored windows for a traditional look.

Do I need to prewash the muslin? If I don't prewash it, will it give it more of a vintage look after the quilt is completed and then washed?

It seems it might be easier to make without prewashing - would be easier to cut and press the folds.

Thanks for advice.

I just finished a machine stitched cathedral window quilt -- started it over 10 years ago. You have made an amazing tutorial. I would not have remembered how I did this quilt. Will save these instructions in case I ever want to do another one!

Blog Entries
    I had forgotten what a wonderful tutorial this is. I plan to try and make some blocks as you so wonderfully taught us! Thanks again!
    She who dies with the most fabric, didn't sew fast enough!

This is something different.

great tute you make it look sew easy
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

This tutorial is great! Thanks for taking the time to make it. I think it gave me some inspiration to sew again. Haven't done anything since before Christmas except for one pillow case.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Name:  100_1164.JPG
Views: 419
Size:  841.5 KB

Thought you might be interested in seeing the Cathedral Window quilt I made -- it got a ribbon at our quilt show -- Viewer's Choice - Honorable Mention. I started this years ago to see if I could do one by machine-- long before I saw this tutorial -- and finished it this year. Thanks for the tutorial -- several people have asked for a demonstration on how to do it and I had forgotten the whole process. This would be a great stash buster if a person used colored remnants with a white or black center.

Beautiful!

Blog Entries
    Thanks. Very easy to understand. I'd call you a Great quilter and teacher.
    Linda

Thank you for this!
    Toni C

You make it look so easy, I just might have to try this one. thanks.
    ABCDEFG

Another great tutorial! I love his choice of fabric. Making a Cathedral Window using a sewing machine would definitely be faster than making it by hand. This makes it seem more manageable.

WOW! Thanks for the super easy instructions, Eddie, of years ago. Would love to make a pillow to try it out first and then a bed cover for my full sized bed. Are you still a member of QB?

Your Cathedral Window

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
    I've started working on a cathedral window (CW) quilt and was asked to do a tutorial on making it. So, here it is! ............(more)..........
    Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!! What a great tutorial. Love the very clear pictures to make the process clear.

Now for my questions:

1. Several years ago you posted the start of a batik CW (I think this is the one or you have used a similar color for this one. At the time, you said you would post again when it was finished. Did you ever post the completed quilt??? If so I missed it and wonder if you have photos you could re-post?

2. I wonder if you ever heard/saw Shelley Swanland's book, Machine-Stitched Cathedral Windows? It is a great technique to piece the "windows" along with the background in one process. However, your tutorial is so much easier to understand. Especially for the beginner quilter. I saw her demonstrate this on Simply Quilts, but had I not seen it done I would not have gotten the hang of it via the book.

3. I have never seen a CW with a border and binding before. Is the some new trend? Or have I only seen unfinished quilts??? (I made one block in 1972 by hand and said, "no way" can I make a full bed size quilt with this pattern, even though I coveted it)!!

Because I am posting on page 43, I hope you are still following up on questions. I have enjoyed reading your responses.

Thank you.

Ellen
    Last edited by Ellen 1; 09-18-2016 at 08:37 AM.

OOP's-I forgot to add, "thank you to Juneayerza for creating the .pdf". You have saved me a few hours of doing this. Also to slbram17 for posting the .pdf. (I hope this was ok with Eddie!!)

Ellen

Hi Ellen!

Sorry to be so late in replying! That batik CW project is sadly still a UFO. Maybe it will get to the done pile someday. Seems there is just too much to do!

I haven't seen that book you referred to above, although I have a couple of CW books by Lynn Edwards that are excellent. If you don't have them and can find them I would highly encourage you to acquire them, they are well worth the money.

The one CW quilt that I've finished I put a binding on it because the edge feels "flimsy" without it and I think it needs it just to prevent the blocks from coming apart at the edge where they would be handled a lot.

Thanks for the kind words and your query!

Eddie
    "If you want a golden rule that will fit everything, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." -- William Morris, 1834-1896

http://arkansasmanquilter.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the reply. I guess I will just have to wait to see your CW when it is done? I will look forward to it.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 16 17