Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Thanks so much, Eddie. The arthritis in my fingers is making it more and more difficult to do hand stitching, so this is exactly what I need. God Bless!!

Hi Eddie,

I'm loving this tutorial, but i'm having a hard time understanding Step 28. Where you roll the green fabric onto the Yellowish fabric and it makes the "arc". Can you explain that a little more? I'm not sure which fabric it is that makes that half circle/arc look? Thanks in advance!

Wanda

Thank for your tutorial. Your directions made it look easier than I thought it was. When I get some of my UFO's done I think I will try it. Thanks again!

Thanks Eddie, for this tute! I have done them by hand, but your instructions are clear and I think I might want to try a machine one to get it done this decade!

Thanks much, this clears up some questions I had about the technique.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Eddie for your tute. I have never seen it explained like you do. The pictures help so much. I am doing one by hand and machine right now. Have never understood how to do this one until I saw your Tute. Thanks also for the Tute on the Hickory Nuts. I made a lot of candle mats and coaster for Christmas. Everyone loved them. Thanks again.

Blog Entries
    Thank you so very much I have always admired and wanted to know how to do a cw, I can just imagine what a pretty hand bag that would make. I would never attempt it before but I am sure I can with your tut

Thank you so much, That was crystal clear. I will be thinking big on this one. I would like to make a Queen size cover for my bed room. I will collect the outer fabric and then just left over fabric from other projects into the windows. Thank you again for sharing.

Eddie(a guy not a gal), you have a great lesson for us here. Clear concise and great pictures. I have to try this. I'm thinking a purse of CW. :-D thanks
    Karen

Beautifull job..........Thanks

What care was taken to write this; true sharing because of the careful loving delight in making these. I am inspired to do this

Thank you

Eddie, This was so interesting! I always wondered how this quilt was made. Thank you for the information. I love the colors you have used.

Glad everyone has enjoyed this. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can make with it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Whernandez
    Hi Eddie,

I'm loving this tutorial, but i'm having a hard time understanding Step 28. Where you roll the green fabric onto the Yellowish fabric and it makes the "arc". Can you explain that a little more? I'm not sure which fabric it is that makes that half circle/arc look? Thanks in advance!

Wanda
    Hi Wanda,

Below is an additional pic that will show a little better how that arc is made. This pic shows that I have now joined those two rows of windows together (the row I had at the start of the tut along with the row that I created in the tut). As you can see, this creates a new set of window frames where the rows join together. Right now, they are just those two triangle "wings" from each row sticking up in the air which I now need to tack down the points on either side so that I have a square of a new "window". I have a blue glass fabric laying across it to give you an idea of where that window will be. Once I get those two points on the sides tacked down, then I would take the edge of that window and simply curve it over onto the top of the window glass fabric. These edges are bias edges so they have a lot of play in them to let you curve them like that. Does that help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

k3n
    Blog Entries
    I'm guessing that due to the bias, the edges kind of curve naturally? I did the faux method a while ago, hand stitched and this was the case with those. :-D

Quote Originally Posted by k3n
    I'm guessing that due to the bias, the edges kind of curve naturally? I did the faux method a while ago, hand stitched and this was the case with those. :-D
    Yes, they do. Once you roll that edge of fabric over and curve it then it's very easy to get the curve there because of the bias edge. Some people pin that curve in place with 2 or 3 pins while they stitch it, but I haven't felt the need to do that. I just hold it down with 2 or 3 fingers while I'm stitching along that curve and it does fine. Too, putting the presser foot down at the start of the stitching on the curve helps hold that end in place as you begin stitching along the curve.

Eddie this is the best tutorial that I have ever seen. Thank you. I have avoided this pattern because it seemed impossible. I am going to try it now.

I often wondered how this quilt was made but your tutorial was excellent.I may try this one day. Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Thank you SO much for doing this for us. I have loved that pattern
    for years, but couldn't make much sense of printed directions.

Now I'm going to "copy" and "paste" this onto my desk top so that
    I can refer to it again and again, till I really and truly understand it.

Give us a hint when you put this in a book and/or a CD. I'll be
    the first one to buy it for myself and a granddaughter who is learning
    to sew.

Awesome...guess what I'm making for my guild quilt show! Thanks for the effort and your generosity.

Thanks Eddie, my sister made a small one, all by hand. I never tried because it took her forever. This one I will try. Thanks.

Great tute Eddie. I will have to try it some day!

Love the tute! I love the CW but was very intimidated by it. I will have to give this a try! Thanks so much!
    Hugs
    April

Blog Entries
    Excellent, thanks for sharing.

Blog Entries
    Eddie-
    Thanks for a wonderful tutorial. I couldn't help but think when I saw one of the first pictures that you posted (with 5 windows in it) that it would make a beautiful window valance. The loose points make the bottom interesting. The "windows" could be fabric that matches ANY quilt that you might be using in the room.

Just thought I'd share how I saw it!

Sue

Blog Entries
    Awww Eddie!!! Another awesome tute :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Wonderful pictures and great descriptions!!! Thank you so much!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)
    I am seeing this as another creative way to use my I Spy squares :D:D:D

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast