Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Machine Stitched Cathedral Window Tutorial

Wow--this pattern is now on my to-do list! I will definitely use this tutorial to make it too. Thanks, Eddie!

Thanks for the great tutorial, Eddie! I've always loved cathedral windows.

thank you for the easy to understand instructions my mother made one about 25 years ago by machine but she didn't remember how she did it I want to try it

Eddie, I was amazed that you did quilting to start out with and now to find out you're doing a tutorial for a CW, blows me away. It's great. I'll be with you every step of the way. I did a CW pillow but I have never attempted to do a quilt. I didn't know this could be done on the sewing machine. My mother-in-law made a CW quilt but she did it all by hand.I'm interested in how it's done by machine ,so I can do one myself. Thanks bunches for doing this. I'm an old gal but I can still learn something new.

Hey, fellow you did a good job and you even taught this old dog new tricks.You made it look so simple.I just might make this my next project.Thanks for showing us women a few things.

Aside for "a lot"....how much background material do you but for a twin, double, queen and king quilt??

Aside for "a lot"....how much background material do you but for a twin, double, queen and king quilt??

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    It depends on the size of your finished blocks since smaller blocks will take more material. But assuming a 4" finished size block and a twin size of 60" x 80", the math works out like this:

60" quilt width / 4" block size = 15 block width
    80" quilt length / 4" block size = 20 block length
    15 block width x 20 block length = 300 blocks

Using an 8.75" raw block size to make those 4" blocks, you can get 5 blocks from a single cut width of fabric (WOF).

300 blocks / 5 per WOF strip = 60 WOF strips needed
    60 WOF strips * 8.75" each = 525 linear inches of fabric needed
    525" of fabric / 36" per yard = 14.58 yards of fabric

So about 15 yards of background fabric for a twin size quilt.

THANK YOU..... This give me the general idea of what I need.....LOVE IT !!!! LOVE IT !!!!

You did a great job and your instructions are very well done. I like to be shown how to do things and that was great. Maybe I will try that in a couple of months I got a few other things to do first. Thanks again. Dee

That is absolutely fabulous. I've always thought these would be too difficult to accomplish; they are so beautiful. Your tut is so clear and understandable! Thanks for all the pics; they help soo much. Beautiful choice of colors. Maybe I'll try a small one for a table topper or even some placemats; wouldn't those be beautiful?!?

May I add my thanks as well!

I had started a cathedral window table runner out of Christmas fabric back before our house burned several years ago. Had almost forgotten how gorgeous I thought that pattern was, as well as any idea of how to do it. Must have had some sort of instructions at the time...But yours are sooooo clear and simple.

Will definitely put one of these on my must-do list. Might be just the way to showcase my stash of 70's brights that I've been trying to figure out what pattern to go with.

I am taking a class now and really enjoying this. Main thing is to keep your points sharp.

Blog Entries
    This is awsome, I am very new to quilting and always want to do the hard stuff first. I am going to try this one.

Blog Entries
    You are a Prince! This is a great tutorial and I might even take a stab at it myself. Thanks Eddie.

This is a great tutorial! Thank you so much!

KC

Eddie thank-you so much, I have never done this quilt on machine always by hand and I've make some really big ones, but you make it so easy to use the machine I'm going to give it a try Thank-you again for this info.KC in Hampton CT :thumbup:

OMG Are you math teacher in real life?? :lol:

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Haha....no, a software architect in my real life. I design computer software so I have to think logically. Although my wife says that some (most) times I don't. :evil:

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingnonie
    Haha....no, a software architect in my real life. I design computer software so I have to think logically. Although my wife says that some (most) times I don't. :evil:
    I'm sure we all are glad you think the way you do cause you put out such assum quilts

Blog Entries
    well i did it eddie i follow step by step and click i made it, question did you say to stitch the two triangel,s next to window or can i leave them like that to join eighter up or down rolls to add more rolls please let me know,thanks

For the triangles around the edge, you just leave those loose so that you can add more rows. When you finally get it as large as you want, then you tack those down and can leave it like that, or roll the edges and put a window glass right up to the edge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Whernandez
    Hi Eddie,

I'm loving this tutorial, but i'm having a hard time understanding Step 28. Where you roll the green fabric onto the Yellowish fabric and it makes the "arc". Can you explain that a little more? I'm not sure which fabric it is that makes that half circle/arc look? Thanks in advance!

Wanda
    I, too, was wondering where the "curve" came from!

Thanks Eddie! My mother made a CW pillow she always said she would teach me to make one but she passedaway before she was able to teach me, you don't know how much this means to me. I just hope I can do it, your directions are really great! If I have trouble can I ask you for help? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MaryAnn
    Thanks Eddie! My mother made a CW pillow she always said she would teach me to make one but she passedaway before she was able to teach me, you don't know how much this means to me. I just hope I can do it, your directions are really great! If I have trouble can I ask you for help? Thanks
    Sure, ask away!

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 15 ... LastLast