Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Magic Crazy Patch Block aka Taming the Scrap Pile

Thanks for this tutorial...got lots of scraps....now a pattern to go with!!!
    There is no place like home!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for tutorial, I have been looking for something to do to tackle the scraps that have taken over and now I have found it. So here I go to the sewing machine.

Thank you - really appreciate your work!

Went and looked at you blog............ You know that quilt that doesn't have a home........ I know where it can find a good home. LOL Your quilts are very nice..... I too love scrap quilts.

I've got to get busy and make scraps so I can try this. Thanks for sharing the tute and pictures. Nice.

Love it! Yet another one to add to my "want to-do" list...*heavy sigh* Thanks for sharing.
    Take time to recharge your batteries. Itís hard to see where youíre going when your lights are dim. Robert H. Connelly

I love it. Darn it I just gave away all my strips to a lady on freecycle she makes Linus quilts. Oh well I am sure I will have more eventually

Thanks for sharing. It looks like a great way to use up scraps.

Thank you for that tut. I love all scrappy quilts and this is going on my to do list. Love it. And so easy.

The directions I have is for a 3 x 4 quilt measuring 38 x 50 without borders. You need at least 1/2 yard for sashing strips and a fat quarter for cornerposts, 12 fat quarters or 6 half yards or any combo to make 3 yds total fabric. cut all the strips in various widths from 1 1/2" to 4". All the strips need to be at least 21" long. Sew the strips of varying widths into a strip set until you get a strip set that is just over 10" wide. Cut the strip set into 2 squares 10 x 10. Put the squares together just like in the previous directions from this post. When these are sewn together and cut, these
    will be the 4 pieces that will become 1 square that should measure about 13". There are lots of ways that you can
    arrange the 4 pieces. They all have the same fabrics but they look different as you move them around.
    When I made mine, I had that piece of floral fabric that I liked so I picked all my fabrics to go with the floral.

Thank you for posting this. I can't wait to try it!

Blog Entries
    Can't wait to attack my scrap pile. Loved what you have done.

Beautiful quilt. Great tutorial.
    What I make with my hands, I give with my heart.

Super Member Nancy in Louisiana's Avatar
    I made some squares with this technique and found that when working with large size squares (12 1/2" in my case), I was having some trouble with the squares going wonky on me -- unless you are really good with handling bias stretch, I would suggest using a foundation of paper or fabric.

great idea. love the simplicity of it. have lots of scraps I can use. thanks.

This is a great project to work on in between the larger ones. Instant gratification, and a GREAT way to clean out all the small bits of leftovers. Saw one made all in Christmas fabrics -- very stunning.

Great quilt pattern and I really appreciate the photos you added. Thank you so much!

wow-great tute and scrap buster
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/Upnorthcrafter

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    Love it .. and so perfectly worded/with pictures; so we all can understand it ! Thank you for sharing !!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy in Louisiana View Post
    I made some squares with this technique and found that when working with large size squares (12 1/2" in my case), I was having some trouble with the squares going wonky on me -- unless you are really good with handling bias stretch, I would suggest using a foundation of paper or fabric.
    I use lots of fabric sizing prior to cutting and then again during pressing when I am working with bias cuts.

Yep -- LOTS of fabric sizing would take care of the problem. I wouldn't recommend trying without it.

Okay, this is one I can do, only because I need a few simple projects in my life right now. Thank you!
    ABCDEFG

Blog Entries
    Just GREAT. Thank u

This Missouri Star Quilt Company video shows the same technique using jelly rolls (WOF). You could cut your own strips/scraps too and make any size blocks!

http://quiltingtutorials.com/all/ama...ttern-3-dudes/

What would the opinion from the group be, if you used a muslin foundation piece in sewing the strips together would it make the quilt too heavy, with using say Warm and Natural batting with backing?

Would it be better just to use a lot of sizing as suggested by a couple of the other members said?
    Smiles from Idaho,
    Onalee

"What if you woke up today with only the things you had thanked God for yesterday?" ~ Michael Hyatt

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast