Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE >

METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE

METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE

Old 12-22-2009, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
I notice in your sketch on page 1, you say to fold in quarters, connect to make a diamond (well, the inside square), and then move in 1/4" and draw your new square.

In the linked video, Anita draws the 4 quarters first (like you) but then she goes in 1/4" and draws new quartered squares, THEN she connects them to make the diamond.

Will that make a difference?? I *think* that it does. For the video, the diamond tips are 1/4" from the ends of the fabric, right? But with yours, I'm fairly certain it's a little more than a 1/4" from the edge. Since I think (ex-Geometry teacher), yours would actually be .25*1.414 = about .38 (fuzzy math) not .25. I know that's not a lot but I think your way makes it so it's farther in than 1/4

Thoughts?? Response? Am I crazy? :D
lucy, are you trying to make me crazier? i never tested the math, so i don't know the beginning size versus the finished size. i only know that if i follow the same rules all the time, they all come out the same exact size. checking it out, you're probably right. i stink at math, but i find this method much easier than hers.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:35 PM
Google Goddess

thanks for the tutorial
Old 07-12-2010, 02:49 PM

Love the link I saved it on my favorites list. Thank you for sharing I am a visonal person and this is awesome. :thumbup:
Old 01-21-2011, 06:53 PM

Oh my gosh! This was wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing! I now know what my next quilt will be!!! :D
Old 01-23-2011, 04:17 PM

My favorite method to do Sq. in a Sq is to:

Cut 2 squares the size I want my center square to be. Cut one out of the center square fabric and one out of the fabric you are using for your first row of triangles. Place the squares right sides together and pin. Sew around the outside of the square - 1/4" in. seam. I usually sew down one side and back up the opposite side, then do the other two opposite sides.

With the triangle fabric side up, and using a quilt marker and ruler, draw a diagonal line from corner to opposite corner. Then draw another diagonal connecting the remaining two corners. You will have an X in the center of your square.

Pull up a little on the center of the triangle fabric to separate the two squares, and snip on one of the lines. Cut through all the lines all the way to the corners of the triangle square, becareful not to cut through your center square fabric. Only cut the top layer.

Press open. Sometimes I cut the ears off and sometimes I don't.

Measure your new square and cut a square of your next fabric to match that. Repeat the instructions for the first square.

Then you may either repeat again, or start putting your straight pieces around the square.

I usually start with a 5 1/2" center square so I can do a small embroidery in it. With the first triangles pressed up, I have a 7" square and with the second row of triangles, a 9" square. You can, of course, use any size starting center you wish to. I find this easy and fast. Great for me because I'm not very good with triangles!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by Horseladyquilter
My favorite method to do Sq. in a Sq is to:

Cut 2 squares the size I want my center square to be. Cut one out of the center square fabric and one out of the fabric you are using for your first row of triangles. Place the squares right sides together and pin. Sew around the outside of the square - 1/4" in. seam. I usually sew down one side and back up the opposite side, then do the other two opposite sides.

With the triangle fabric side up, and using a quilt marker and ruler, draw a diagonal line from corner to opposite corner. Then draw another diagonal connecting the remaining two corners. You will have an X in the center of your square.

Pull up a little on the center of the triangle fabric to separate the two squares, and snip on one of the lines. Cut through all the lines all the way to the corners of the triangle square, becareful not to cut through your center square fabric. Only cut the top layer.

Press open. Sometimes I cut the ears off and sometimes I don't.

Measure your new square and cut a square of your next fabric to match that. Repeat the instructions for the first square.

Then you may either repeat again, or start putting your straight pieces around the square.

I usually start with a 5 1/2" center square so I can do a small embroidery in it. With the first triangles pressed up, I have a 7" square and with the second row of triangles, a 9" square. You can, of course, use any size starting center you wish to. I find this easy and fast. Great for me because I'm not very good with triangles!
absolutely painless way to do SIS's....works every time...
Old 01-26-2011, 08:48 AM

the reason i like the first one is that it lets me cut a million at a time. with a good 45 cutter i get 6 layers. some get 12. i don't try for that. with a 60, i get 8 - 12.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:52 PM

I found Jodi Barrows tape and ruler and it works great for me.. You can even make flying geese and quarter square triangles with it. Well worth the money...
Old 04-02-2011, 07:16 PM

you make it appear so easy.. AND when sewing the points will match up. Thank you for being so very helpfull and sharing :)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:46 PM

This sounds like it wouldn't be too hard to do. Thanks a lot.