Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE >

METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE

METHOD FOR SQUARE IN A SQUARE

Old 07-07-2011, 09:17 AM

This is so easy. But when I open it up I have uneven sides. I was careful to draw my diagonal lines from corner to corner. Any suggestions. don't want to cut off the 1/4" seam allowance on the sides.
Originally Posted by Horseladyquilter
My favorite method to do Sq. in a Sq is to:

Cut 2 squares the size I want my center square to be. Cut one out of the center square fabric and one out of the fabric you are using for your first row of triangles. Place the squares right sides together and pin. Sew around the outside of the square - 1/4" in. seam. I usually sew down one side and back up the opposite side, then do the other two opposite sides.

With the triangle fabric side up, and using a quilt marker and ruler, draw a diagonal line from corner to opposite corner. Then draw another diagonal connecting the remaining two corners. You will have an X in the center of your square.

Pull up a little on the center of the triangle fabric to separate the two squares, and snip on one of the lines. Cut through all the lines all the way to the corners of the triangle square, becareful not to cut through your center square fabric. Only cut the top layer.

Press open. Sometimes I cut the ears off and sometimes I don't.

Measure your new square and cut a square of your next fabric to match that. Repeat the instructions for the first square.

Then you may either repeat again, or start putting your straight pieces around the square.

I usually start with a 5 1/2" center square so I can do a small embroidery in it. With the first triangles pressed up, I have a 7" square and with the second row of triangles, a 9" square. You can, of course, use any size starting center you wish to. I find this easy and fast. Great for me because I'm not very good with triangles!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by charismah
I Actually use the square in a square ruler technique by Jodi barrows and it goes really quick and easy.....although spendy if you are trying to save money.I think teh ruler is around 20$ or something..but I think it is a good investment for perfect squares every time.
Jodi shows you how to use her method without the ruler..if you can find a book for reasonable or at the library..I like her method best of all. =)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:28 AM

I just watched this video and thank you for sharing! It sure seems simple and quite fast! :)
Old 07-07-2011, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by quilter53
This is so easy. But when I open it up I have uneven sides. I was careful to draw my diagonal lines from corner to corner. Any suggestions. don't want to cut off the 1/4" seam allowance on the sides.
Originally Posted by Horseladyquilter
My favorite method to do Sq. in a Sq is to:

Cut 2 squares the size I want my center square to be. Cut one out of the center square fabric and one out of the fabric you are using for your first row of triangles. Place the squares right sides together and pin. Sew around the outside of the square - 1/4" in. seam. I usually sew down one side and back up the opposite side, then do the other two opposite sides.

With the triangle fabric side up, and using a quilt marker and ruler, draw a diagonal line from corner to opposite corner. Then draw another diagonal connecting the remaining two corners. You will have an X in the center of your square.

Pull up a little on the center of the triangle fabric to separate the two squares, and snip on one of the lines. Cut through all the lines all the way to the corners of the triangle square, becareful not to cut through your center square fabric. Only cut the top layer.

Press open. Sometimes I cut the ears off and sometimes I don't.

Measure your new square and cut a square of your next fabric to match that. Repeat the instructions for the first square.

Then you may either repeat again, or start putting your straight pieces around the square.

I usually start with a 5 1/2" center square so I can do a small embroidery in it. With the first triangles pressed up, I have a 7" square and with the second row of triangles, a 9" square. You can, of course, use any size starting center you wish to. I find this easy and fast. Great for me because I'm not very good with triangles!
My, this method sounds speedy as well! Plus you have it all sewn at one time! Thanks for Sharing
Old 07-07-2011, 03:31 PM

It is very easy but like I said my triangles aren't even.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM

are you starching the squares before you stack them? try that.
and then stack carefully. don't stack too many at a time. maybe you should start with no more than 4 and get used to that.

are you sure that the square is really square?

edit: is your rotary blade sharp and tensioned right? it has to not wobble.
Old 07-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for sharing
Old 07-09-2011, 05:36 PM

this has been bothering me. i tried it again and the triangles were fine. i starched the fabric and then laid out 6 layers. maybe you should begin with four. then i cut all the layers together, using my eight inch square. i made four stacks as a test. the starch made the layers stick to each other. since they were cut as one, they stayed put.

i was careful to cut straight, but i didn't worry about grain too much. i used a new blade and made sure it didn't wobble in the handle. i held the handle and blade straight up and down - very important!! i don't use those HF blades. i used a 45mm blade.

i finger pressed according to the directions. you could use the paper method. it won't matter. then i cut. i checked the triangles on one stack without mixing up the colors. i checked the triangles on the other stacks with mixing up the colors. they all worked.

did you do anything different?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Power Poster

thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry. I did the other method of putting right sides together and cutting the x open. I have done better the other times. I didn't quite understand the way you were doing it. I need to concentrate and try that way, I guess.
Thank you for trying to explain it. you did a wonderful job i'm just a little dence, I guess.
Originally Posted by butterflywing
this has been bothering me. i tried it again and the triangles were fine. i starched the fabric and then laid out 6 layers. maybe you should begin with four. then i cut all the layers together, using my eight inch square. i made four stacks as a test. the starch made the layers stick to each other. since they were cut as one, they stayed put.

i was careful to cut straight, but i didn't worry about grain too much. i used a new blade and made sure it didn't wobble in the handle. i held the handle and blade straight up and down - very important!! i don't use those HF blades. i used a 45mm blade.

i finger pressed according to the directions. you could use the paper method. it won't matter. then i cut. i checked the triangles on one stack without mixing up the colors. i checked the triangles on the other stacks with mixing up the colors. they all worked.

did you do anything different?
:D