Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
My Carpenter's Star Pattern >

My Carpenter's Star Pattern

My Carpenter's Star Pattern

Old 07-08-2010, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by jodimae
Well I finally done one...been aiming to do this for a while...don't know if I chose the right fabrics or not...my center star section is 32x32 then I added a couple borders..now it's 46x46, I still want it bigger. This will be my mothers birthday present in August. Thanks "danmar" for teaching us how to do this. It was quick and fun.
Hi Jodimae! I love your colors and I think you did an awesome job! How much bigger do you want to make it? I have some ideas if you are interested. I'm glad you liked the pattern. It is my favorite. I find it lots of fun too, and you can make it with so many different colors! Let me know if you want my ideas to make it bigger.
Marilyn
Old 07-08-2010, 06:19 PM

Thank you. I think that block is in the quilt I am presently working on the Lizzie.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:31 AM

danmar any ideas are welcome...I think it bothers me because it's square and not rectangle...I want it to fit a twin bed. Wondering how to make it longer. I've seen quilts with pillow tuck (I think thats what it's called) and wonder if that would look ok. What do you suggest?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by jodimae
danmar any ideas are welcome...I think it bothers me because it's square and not rectangle...I want it to fit a twin bed. Wondering how to make it longer. I've seen quilts with pillow tuck (I think thats what it's called) and wonder if that would look ok. What do you suggest?
Hi jodimae! I just drew this up, but it might give you some ideas. It's on graph paper, and each square represents 2". (It's to scale.) Let me send the plain diagram first, then I will explain it and add another one with ideas on it. If you make it like this design or something similar, the finished size would be 60" x 84", without a border. You could make the same thing and make it a little smaller. It would fit a twin bed nicely.

Marilyn

This is just an idea.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79433[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79428.jpe  
Old 07-10-2010, 02:22 AM

Now, what I was thinking was to use your 46" square in the center. You could either put like 3 - 6" 8 point stars on either side, and use matching fabric and make 4 blocks of it. Add a 7" top and bottom border to that part. Then, make some 12" Carpenter's Stars for the top and bottom, with fabric between them. (Or make 5 Carpenter's star for the top and 5 for the bottom.) Here's a picture of what I'm talking about.

You could also just use alternating matching fabrics to do the sides and top/bottom if you prefered. What do you think?
Marilyn

Example of one way you could do it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79434[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79429.jpe  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:26 AM

I LOVE IT!! that looks great, I think I will do this. If I have enough fabric left. If not I will try to match it up with something. Thanks so much, Jodi.
Old 07-10-2010, 04:33 AM

Mine has been sitting becuase I was unsure how to make it longer also. How excititing - now I have a ton of ideas.

Thanks!!!!
Old 07-10-2010, 05:15 AM

Hi Jodi and cminor! I'm glad that you liked my ideas. I think it will make a pretty quilt. On the little side blocks, they had to be 7" x 8" and 7" x 6" to make it come out right. You could make them those sizes, or make them 6 x 6 and put a one inch strip next to them to make them the right size. Good luck with your quilts. I'd love to see them when you are done. Glad that I could help.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Marilyn

Here are the measurements of the different places/pieces.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]79453[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-79448.jpe  
Old 07-10-2010, 02:03 PM

Great job on your Carpenter's Star, colors are good also.
Old 07-15-2010, 11:01 AM

OK...danmar here goes....finished the top...I ran out of some of the fabrics so I had to compromise on your suggestion a little...but I think you will approve :). I am satisfied with it...It ended up being 56x70. Now to get it quilted by Aug. 19. Thanks again, Jodi

My Mothers Birthday" Carpenters Star"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]76513[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-76508.jpe