Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
No Knots in Hand Quilting >

No Knots in Hand Quilting

No Knots in Hand Quilting

Old 02-10-2011, 12:10 PM

Well, in the tailor shop method, you don't make a knot at all--you just secure the thread with the little backstitch--but the long tail stays buried inside the layers, no knots required, which saves a lot of time in the long run. :-)
Old 02-10-2011, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Babykidlet
I used to own a tailoring shop and we always started our hand stitching by slipping the needle into the fabric between the layers and, taking a very large stitch, pull the needle and thread through just until the thread end barely disappears into the fabric. Then do a small backstitch the size of your usual quilting stitch. This locks it and leaves that large stitch length of thread (about 3/4 inch) inside your batting layer. Then start quilting! We were into production so had to find the easiest and fastest ways to accomplish the job. Hope this helps someone.
She said it much better than I did. Thank you.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 AM

I've always buried the knots between the layers when starting and stopping while hand quilting. That way you never have knots that show. Just pull it threw the back and not all the way threw. :)
Old 02-11-2011, 10:31 AM

But why take the time to make a knot AT ALL? A simple backstitch or two with the long tail buried in the layers is all you need. :-)
Old 02-11-2011, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by colleen1978
Originally Posted by maggiek
I had one teacher show us how to weave the end under and in among the first few stitches and the last few stitches. That way there is extra strength in holding the ends in addition to just the batting.
Do you mean back up and re-stitch the last few stitches?
No, just thread the needle with the thread you left"dangling" and then continue hand quilting in the opposite direction until the thread runs out.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Carol Wilson
I had one teacher show us how to weave the end under and in among the first few stitches and the last few stitches. That way there is extra strength in holding the ends in addition to just the batting.
No, just thread the needle with the thread you left"dangling" and then continue hand quilting in the opposite direction until the thread runs out.
I am right handed and I cannot quilt the opposite direction lol, only up and down and to the left.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by BettyB
I am right handed and I cannot quilt the opposite direction lol, only up and down and to the left.
Turn the quilt around 90 degrees.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by BettyB
Turn the quilt around 90 degrees.
It is impossible to turn a 100 by 90 or bigger quilt around. I have the old fashion quilting frames that lets me stretch the whole quilt out. I do like the idea of not putting a knot at all but does the couple of backstitches show up.
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM

I have to say I tried this last night. It was much quicker and the result seemed to be nicer.

I must admit that I am a completer novice and am just finding my way, but it was very helpful to learn.

Thanks Carol!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by denise d
I have to say I tried this last night. It was much quicker and the result seemed to be nicer.

I must admit that I am a completer novice and am just finding my way, but it was very helpful to learn.

Thanks Carol!
I am a beginner quilter too, have only made two quilts and here I am giving quilting advice, just something I read that I thought would be helpfull.