Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: OBW tutorial by Cutebuns

Quote Originally Posted by Quiltforme
    Nancy you crack me up!! I have to agree with you on this one for me too!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sewwhat85
    i just wish i had cutebuns instead of saggybuns :lol: :lol: that is a great tute
    I would prefer cute buns or saggybuns but I am stuck with BIGbuns! LOL.
    Great job on redoing this wonderful tute. Cutebuns did an awesome job to start with and you have helped by making it more concise. Hugs and smiles for you both!!!

Thanks so much, now I finally get the OBW!

Massachusetts / Vermont === Now in ==Green River Utah = Owner of GreenRiverKOA Campground
    Thank you so much , looks easy , I must do this pattern..

Blog Entries
    big help, thank you for your hard work putting it together

Okay, I'm not good at acronyms. what's an OBW?

Very nice...thanks...this was alot of work for you...I really appreciate the effort and that you've shared this with us.

Blog Entries
    Great tutorial and I really want to try this. However, I wish the tutorial opened with advice on how best to select fabric and how much fabric is required.

It looks like high yardage count is required. Deep into the tutorial there is reference to "2.5 yards of each fabric".

I doubt I have 2.5 yards of any one fabric.

What's the minimum yardage required to make a successful OBW?

Thanks.

-- Jillaine

Quote Originally Posted by jillaine
    Great tutorial and I really want to try this. However, I wish the tutorial opened with advice on how best to select fabric and how much fabric is required.

It looks like high yardage count is required. Deep into the tutorial there is reference to "2.5 yards of each fabric".

I doubt I have 2.5 yards of any one fabric.

What's the minimum yardage required to make a successful OBW?

Thanks.

-- Jillaine
    It depends on the repeat length of the fabric. If you're making a OBW with hexagons, then you need 6 repeats plus more for binding, backing or if you'll include some in the border. Also if you're making a bed-size, then you need more as well. Usually people make a wall quilt, but not always. The width of the strips cut to make the hexagons, will also make a difference, but they are usually between 3 - 4" wide. It will take some math to figure out how much to buy if you want a twin or larger.
    For example if the repeat length is 12" then you need 72" which is 2 yards. That's just for the hexagons, you need more for the binding, etc.

Blog Entries
    Fireworkslover, Thanks so much; that's exactly what I needed-- although I'm also curious about what kind of thinking goes into fabric/pattern selection.

Also, how much yardage waste is there? And what kind? I.e., what does the "left over" look like?

Blog Entries
    You also wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    If you're making a OBW with hexagons, then you need 6 repeats...
    This implies that one can make an OBW with some other shape(s). Please say more... ;-)

There is very little left over. I found when doing themthat I had less scrap than a traditional top to have.

I yet yet to do one it they also do an octagon one.

The fabric when choosing you want not a lot of background, a fair to large print. And depends what you like to the amount of colors. The more colors I find the more difficult it is to lay out the blocks.

With the repeats and size of project differing it is had to say a definitive on how much fabric. Bare minimum is to be able to find 6 repeats on the fabric. So if you are making a wall hanging or table topper you need very little as it is repeated width wise. Then depending on the sizeof project the more sets of repeats that you need. For a full size quilt top I would go minimum 18 repeats along the salvage. The size of repeat varies from print to print. So if it is 12" then times that by the 18 ( plus a couple for straightening) (6 yards) Then if you would like a border out of matching fabric add that as well. (yard/yard and a half)

If you look under the original posts about the obw we do discuss fabric choices. Members posted their choices and we would discuss them. It is very difficult to pinpoint one or two specific fabrics as there are so many. If you also look at what others have done and their results ( on the original threads) you may get a better idea of what kind of print you would like. Florals are a big one. But animals and all sorts of other things were used. As well as panels.

Fireworkslover, Thanks so much; that's exactly what I needed-- although I'm also curious about what kind of thinking goes into fabric/pattern selection.

Also, how much yardage waste is there? And what kind? I.e., what does the "left over" look like?
    For just cutting the fabric for the hexagons, there's hardly any waste. After you've cut your repeats and stacked them, then when you cut your strips, there's a small triangularish strip cut off each end that's waste. That's all!

As far as fabric selection, find a print that has colors you like. Sometimes you can see what the parts of the original fabric were, but sometimes not. It's best if the background is not a solid color or if it is, then the print should be larger so there's not much background in between. The print can be anything: birds, fish, deer heads, cowboys on horses, flowers, some Oriental prints work well, chickens/roosters, some landscapes, etc. It's best if the background has swirls of color VS being solid. So if there's water, then ripples show or waves instead of solid blue, for example. Maxine Rosenthal has a better explanation in her book "One Block Wonders", as well as photos of good fabric and bad fabric to choose. Stay away from prints with mostly straight lines, doesn't work as well.
    If you pick a fabric with small images, like 1 - 1 1/2" diam. flowers, you might want to buy twice as much fabric, so you'll have more fabric to make more repeats with- otherwise you might have duplicate triangles.

The biggest help, I found was to buy or make a hinged mirror. Bring it with you to the fabric store and hold it open on the bolt of fabric crossways, so you see 6 images in it. Then slide it slowly across the bolt to see if that fabric will work for a OBW. You'll see the exact kind of triangles you'll get when you cut it.

You also wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by fireworkslover
    If you're making a OBW with hexagons, then you need 6 repeats...
    This implies that one can make an OBW with some other shape(s). Please say more... ;-)
    Octagons are also used, but then you'll need 8 repeats.

Blog Entries
    well I got curious to try this, went to my stash and found absolutely NOTHING that I could use. I have no fabric with any sort of repeating pattern of this nature. I wonder what this says about me? ;-)

I currently have an agreement with Self and Husband that I won't purchase any more fabric until I use up a fair amount of what I have (and compared to what I've seen posted in this forum, my stash is a fraction of what y'all seem to have....).

So I'll just have to wait for awhile. Or for a really really good deal on ebay? ooops... (the exceptions we make!!!)

me three

Blog Entries
    I have just folded fabric #5 up to put away for another day --- I can't find anything with a repeat that is in line with the following repeat and I'm about ready to chuck the whole idea of a OBW. This is something that I really want to try and I'm so frustrated I could scream. Is it me or do I have wonky fabric? I'm going to post a pic of the only one I have that looks to line up properly so would someone please tell me where the repeats are and which way I'm supposed to cut them - or even if this fabric would be suitabe for a OBW. Second part of the question: is it common to have the design printed on fabric off kilter? I'm finding this more and more and it doesn't make me happy!

The repeats look as though they match but they don't
    Name:  Attachment-171054.jpe
Views: 110
Size:  86.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Suzi
    I have just folded fabric #5 up to put away for another day --- I can't find anything with a repeat that is in line with the following repeat and I'm about ready to chuck the whole idea of a OBW. This is something that I really want to try and I'm so frustrated I could scream. Is it me or do I have wonky fabric? I'm going to post a pic of the only one I have that looks to line up properly so would someone please tell me where the repeats are and which way I'm supposed to cut them - or even if this fabric would be suitabe for a OBW. Second part of the question: is it common to have the design printed on fabric off kilter? I'm finding this more and more and it doesn't make me happy!
    I have only done one small one of these, but I think the thing is that cutting the repeats will give you your fabric widths, but the lining them up exactly is what you do with your pins before you start cutting your strips. That is when you find the exact spot in the repeat you are going to match in all your layers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wildyard
    I have only done one small one of these, but I think the thing is that cutting the repeats will give you your fabric widths, but the lining them up exactly is what you do with your pins before you start cutting your strips. That is when you find the exact spot in the repeat you are going to match in all your layers.
    That sounds logical - I have the book and have read CB's tute but the pattern on this fabric seems slightly skewed. Think I'll just wait until tomorrow when I'm not so tired and try again. Thanks for responding - this gives me something more to think about --- lol.

LOL Suzi, I'm one to talk, I have at least 6 fabrics I have selected for OBWs and/or kaleidascopes. Other projects keep getting in the way, and the OBWs intimidate me so I am more than willing to keep putting them off.

Look along one selvage to find where the print repeats, put a pin in that spot, then go down the same side and find that same spot again and put in a pin, etc. Do this until you have 6 sections. Make sure your ruler is at 90 degrees to the selvage when you cut all the way across to the other selvage. These sections will get stacked on top of each other and perfectly lined up with pins - how Maxine Rosenthal explains. When you cut your strips they will be cut crosswise on the fabric - so from selvage to selvage. Then these strips get cut into triangles.

I'm hoping this paisley print is not printed crooked on the fabric - I'm interested in seeing how it turns out in a OBW.

After looking again at your fabric, if you look on the right side there a large green petaled flower towards the top, look down and at the bottom that same flower appears again. That's your repeat length. Perhaps 20 some inches?

Blog Entries
    Worked off and on on this all day yesterday and today (stubborn??) and finally have the hex's all cut out. This was a lesson in patience and perseverence because the dratted design was crooked on the fabric. I laid out a couple and they seem to be working OK - had to cut strips from top to bottom instead of selvage to selvage due to the wonky print, but that's OK. Especially since I didn't think this would come anywhere near working. I'll post a couple of pics of the hex's tomorrow .......... right now I'm tired! fireworkslover - that repeat was 27".

Thanks...I definitely am going to tackle this soon...already have the fabric...now, all I need is the courage!

Quote Originally Posted by MCarleneM
    Thanks...I definitely am going to tackle this soon...already have the fabric...now, all I need is the courage!
    LOL I wonder just how many of us there really are who are clinging to our fabric which we have bought however long ago, because we lack the courage to just do it? Lord knows I'm one. I have visions of hundreds of us, clutching our yardage to our chests, and saying, "Now, ... no, not yet... soon, tho... yes soon... " lolol... Like little old ladies trying to get into the cold swimming pool who keep putting in their toes and pulling them out again. :lol:

Blog Entries
    Am laying out a few of the hex's and so far am pleased even though they tend to be on the darker side - which is fine. Enclosed is another shot of the original fabric and a shot of the few hex's that I've laid out .......... you know - this is FUN!

Original fabric
    Name:  Attachment-171816.jpe
Views: 116
Size:  86.7 KB

A few of the hex's (unsewn)
    Name:  Attachment-171817.jpe
Views: 116
Size:  86.1 KB

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast