Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Paper Piecing >

Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Old 04-18-2011, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the great tutorial! That's exactly how I do paper piecing. As for getting up to press and cut, I purposely set my cutting area and ironing boards away from my machine so I have to get up and move around. I'd never get any any exercise if I had them altogether. My back and shoulders and the backs of my thighs no longer hurt so much because I get up and stretch and move around, and the getting up part is helping my "backside" and love handles and hips stay just that much slimmer, I hope! lol
Old 04-23-2011, 07:19 PM

Bjdemir, thanks so much for the suggestion of the kids' tablet paper, will give that try.When you change from the regular printer paper to the tablet paper, do you have to make any changes on your printer to accept the thinner paper? I normally buy 88/20 printer paper, its the cheapest paper Walmart sells and it seems to tear away easily, as long as I use a high stitch count like 1.5. One thing for sure, you don't want to have to remove any of those stitches though, they are so tight!
I never thought I'd enjoy paper piecing because I tried once a long time ago and I don't remember why I was so frustrated; but knew it was the last thing I wanted to learn how to do. I started working on a wallhanging with 6"blocks using small pieces; found the only way to get accurate piecing with small pieces was with paper piecing. It made a huge difference. Happy Easter everyone. Chris
Old 04-23-2011, 07:37 PM

My HP printer seems to accept the lighter paper just fine. I even use freezer paper in it with no problem. I started out doing picture piecing which is ironing freezer paper to the right side of the material and sewing together. I have made some really beautiful wall hangings from that I figured out that if I want to reverse the picture, I need to do paper piecing. I have done both on quilt blocks and it seems to work fine. My first paper pieced project was a label for a quilt and I got it done, but discovered later I was actually doing it all wrong! I do enjoy doing both.
Old 04-24-2011, 01:51 PM

After working with the few blocks I've made so far, I can see myself working on more paper piecing. I bought the software program called Town and Country Patchwork from Electric Quilt Co., to add to my quilting software. It has all kinds of neat buildings, flowers,and lots of other blocks; so I'll have lots of different kinds of foundation piecing projects I can work on.
I really like working on wallhangings and crib quilts because I don't have a large sewing area and I'm starting to have some problems with my hands so working on something large and heavy just wouldn't be a good idea. Chris
Old 07-17-2011, 12:10 PM

I must tell you, I never "Got" paper piecing until I read your instructions here a couple of months ago. My puppy actually chewed the printed copy I had, so today I looked it up again and printed myself another hard copy to save. Yay-Yay-Yay for your index card and add a quarter ruler instructions. I even shared your way with a long time paper piecer and she had to run out and get the ruler too! Thank you -so much- for taking the time to share it here. I truly l-o-v-e paper piecing now, and I just couldn't get it consistently before. I am thankful for this board, and what I learn here will last many many years!!
Old 07-17-2011, 01:06 PM

I am SO glad I could help you! I can't wait to see what you do with your new found confidence!

Sue
Originally Posted by Middle Mitten Quilter
I must tell you, I never "Got" paper piecing until I read your instructions here a couple of months ago. My puppy actually chewed the printed copy I had, so today I looked it up again and printed myself another hard copy to save. Yay-Yay-Yay for your index card and add a quarter ruler instructions. I even shared your way with a long time paper piecer and she had to run out and get the ruler too! Thank you -so much- for taking the time to share it here. I truly l-o-v-e paper piecing now, and I just couldn't get it consistently before. I am thankful for this board, and what I learn here will last many many years!!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:13 PM

I paper pieced a Dragon Star by Judy Niemeyer and Pineapple Salsa (Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting, Sept./Oct. 2010). Love paper piecing because of the accuracy. I am considering a Double Wedding Ring (Older son getting married next summer. Take a Judy Niemeyer class if you get a chance.