Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Paper Piecing >

Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Old 04-14-2011, 10:10 AM

Great job on your PP tutorial. I enjoy doing PP.
Old 04-14-2011, 01:49 PM

Thank you for the instructions. You have some very helpful hints. I'm off to find an "add a quarter" ruler.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:22 PM

Sue, Thank you very for adding your 1/4" reminder for all of us, old and new paper piecers. :thumbup:
Old 04-14-2011, 04:26 PM

great instructions thanks, I just tried my first paper piecing and I loved it.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:00 PM

What kind of paper do you suggest using? I have done paper piecing one time and used water soluble paper which was very expensive by the time i finished the quilt! I've seen some very old quilts that were sewn on newspaper. I would like to try again but on a cheaper paper than water soluble.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:14 PM

I use regular printer paper most of the time but if I am using a lot of directional fabrics in my project I like to use vellum. It makes it easier to orient the fabric correctly if I can see through the paper. I have never tried the water soluble foundation paper because I like to use steam when I am pressing and I think it would get gummy.
Originally Posted by Toniaetl
What kind of paper do you suggest using? I have done paper piecing one time and used water soluble paper which was very expensive by the time i finished the quilt! I've seen some very old quilts that were sewn on newspaper. I would like to try again but on a cheaper paper than water soluble.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:59 PM

I don't understand all the hype about paper piecing. It is EASY if you follow the Carol Doak method of using a post card and an add a quarter inch ruler. It is as simple as that, and I am a relatively novice quilter.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:49 AM

I agree. I like the Carol Doak patterns, they are always perfect. I use tracing paper. I purchase it at Hobby Lobby in the art dept. 50 sheets for $4.99 and every other week there is a 40% off coupon if you sign up for their newsletters.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by deldot
I don't understand all the hype about paper piecing. It is EASY if you follow the Carol Doak method of using a post card and an add a quarter inch ruler. It is as simple as that, and I am a relatively novice quilter.
I use the 1/4" ruler and also the 1/8" one and my husband cut me a 4"x6" piece of acrylic and I use that rather than a postcard....much more stable

and you can put more pressure on it to hold in place when cutting.

just a thought ..works for me.......
Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 AM

Many people seem to struggle with having fabric cut large enough to cover the space. I don't cut individual pieces, I cut a strip. For example to cut for piece #2:you need to measure across the shape perpendicular to the seam line between piece # 1 & # 2. Go across all the way to the widest area of the opposite seam line and then add 1/4" seam allowance on both ends. I usually add an additional 1/8" to this for my cut amount. After sewing each piece on, press and then cut off the strip from your sewn block. Yes, with this method you will have a bit more to cut off, but it's worth it to me to not worry my fabric won't be large enough to cover the space. If using a pattern with lots of triangles, it's much easier to use this method than trying to cut fabric to fit that flipped over odd shape.