Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Paper Piecing >

Paper Piecing

Paper Piecing

Old 04-13-2011, 06:12 PM

Good luck, I hope it helps!
Originally Posted by ladyshuffler
I have had an awful time trying to accomplish this...I will look over the instructions you gave and see if it becomes easier for me!
Thank you in advance :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 PM

I recently purchased the add-a-quarter ruler and boy am I glad I did. now it's very quick and easy to get those 1/4" seams. I didn't get paper-piecing the 1st time I tried it but a couple of months ago something 'clicked' and now I love paper piecing. very nice tutorial Sue.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:52 AM

I ordered tha Carrol Doak Paper Piecing DVD from CT and it arrived yesterday, I can't wait to try it. I have such rotten luck squaring blocks, I hope this is my answer. PLUS I hope somehow I can make it turn into QAYG since I can't machine quilt either!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:45 AM

[quote=larkspurlanedesigns]I get up to trim and press but I have a "triangle" set up in my sewing room just like they suggest for the kitchen between the sink, fridge and stove.

Great idea but if I don't get up for the trimming and the pressing, I get pretty stiff...
so my moving around for those jobs, keep me at the PPing a lot longer.

Thanks for all the advice on PPing......since discovering it, I tend to forget about the other forms of quilting......

love it, love it, love it, love it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 04:55 AM

I tried paper piecing and really like it, but I did it on my own and I know I could improve. I'll try it again with your instructions and see if it helps. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:03 AM

when i first taught myself the paper piecing technique i took the time to mark the pattern on the blank side, too, this helped take some of the stress out of doing something blank when you are trying to learn this technique, now i just love it.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:33 AM

I find with PPing it isn't necessary to square up blocks so this might be just the thing you need!
Originally Posted by Happy Tails
I ordered tha Carrol Doak Paper Piecing DVD from CT and it arrived yesterday, I can't wait to try it. I have such rotten luck squaring blocks, I hope this is my answer. PLUS I hope somehow I can make it turn into QAYG since I can't machine quilt either!!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:34 AM

That's a great idea but you could also use vellum which is easy to see through.
Originally Posted by rn2wendt
when i first taught myself the paper piecing technique i took the time to mark the pattern on the blank side, too, this helped take some of the stress out of doing something blank when you are trying to learn this technique, now i just love it.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:37 AM

I still get up for these steps because I need all the "excercise" I can get! LOL But I try to make the best use of my time by not having to run all over the room to get things done.[quote=mjsylvstr]
Originally Posted by larkspurlanedesigns
I get up to trim and press but I have a "triangle" set up in my sewing room just like they suggest for the kitchen between the sink, fridge and stove.

Great idea but if I don't get up for the trimming and the pressing, I get pretty stiff...
so my moving around for those jobs, keep me at the PPing a lot longer.

Thanks for all the advice on PPing......since discovering it, I tend to forget about the other forms of quilting......

love it, love it, love it, love it!!!!!!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Thanks for the post. I have a number of things that require paper piecing and I would really like to improve my skills. The worst problem I have is either cutting the piece of fabric too small, OR shifting it in the wrong way so when I flip it over there is too much fabric on one side and not enough on the other. Guess I just need to practice more! Thanks...