Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Piecing the Apple Core or "Double bit ax" by hand

okay ladies, im on row #13! can't think of a more awesome way to heal up from back surgery where i can't get to my machine yet. oh miss piecemaker, thank you so much! i can't wait to get a little lap quilter thing and get it all finished in what? 6 months? its going to be beautiful and i thank you so much! you truly are a treasure to my heart. and so is your non bobbin fillin hubby! loves to you both! God has definitely made my life better by putting you and the mister in it!
    A rolling stone gathers no moss

Blog Entries
    You made this simple enough for even me.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    okay ladies, im on row #13! can't think of a more awesome way to heal up from back surgery where i can't get to my machine yet. oh miss piecemaker, thank you so much! i can't wait to get a little lap quilter thing and get it all finished in what? 6 months? its going to be beautiful and i thank you so much! you truly are a treasure to my heart. and so is your non bobbin fillin hubby! loves to you both! God has definitely made my life better by putting you and the mister in it!
    Right back at you!! Hope you recover from your surgery soon. Will be waiting for pictures of that top when its finished!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

I love the apple core!
    Here is a link to the tutorial for making whatever size template you want.
    http://thimbleanna.com/?p=808
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
    I love the apple core!

Thank you so much for adding this. I knew there had to be a way to do it. so, simple!!!

I am so glad to have run across your tute...always wondered how they went together. thanks

okay ladies i started mine 6 weeks ago and im now hand quilting it. i can't believe that it went together as fast as it did! quilting is great in the eves when it's still chilly outside, and i put a super soft flannel on the back so it would be great to snuggle to. mine is 18 rows of 22 long. i got a wooden 1" quilting hoop from Hancocks dirt cheap and so away i go! still recovering from surgery but this makes it go just a bit better! will post pics when i am done but it wont be anywhere NEAR as good as #1's!

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I have the template and a box of dot scraps. I think this iwll make a beautiful quilt in all dots.....Thanks for posting it.
    I will be handquilting as well and hand piecing. A great project to be able to take along places.......
    "Keep Smiling, Keep shining..knowing you can always count on me....for sure.
    That what friends are for...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NannieBS View Post
    i AM A NEWBIE TO QUILTING SOOO CAN U EXPLAIN In MORE DETAIL AND WHAT IS AN APPLE CORE QUILT? THANKS
    I'm sorry I missed this post. the apple core or Double Bit Ax is the name of the piece that you use to make the block or quilt. It gets its name because of its shape. One end of it will fit precisely into the curve of the other piece. An apple core quilt is a quilt that is made with just this one piece.

I dearly love charm quilts. The applecore pattern is a Charm quilt. It is said that a young lady who wanted to be married would have 999 different pieces of fabric (not one fabric alike) and the last piece (to make 1000) would be brought to her by her soon to be husband!
    Pam Riggs

I can't wait to see it and glad you are doing well after your surgery.
    Pam Riggs

holy cow! thats so many blocks! mine is 374 and it is huge! i realized last nite i was about 3/4 the way done with it. and in less than 8 weeks start to "right now". i am so pleased! i need to find other little blocks to play with. i have thoroughly enjoyed doing this. i only quilt on it at nite while im watching tv and pending on what is on is how much i actually get done! it is very relaxing to have something to fiddle with. i have found that i have a hard time letting my hands stay idle for too long! thankfully i am going to be able to get outside alot this summer and im finding out its pretty warm under that quilt at nite now to work on! might best be a fall/winter/spring project! but i can't stop now until it is done! LOL guess ive engaged mouth a bit too long here! will post picture when done and thanks for giving me my two seconds on the soapbox! a year ago someone told me i would have to try to hand sew and i laughed them out of town. so much for never say never! someday me and #1 are goin to end up behind the woodshed......LOL its all her fault i tell my hubby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pam Riggs View Post
    I dearly love charm quilts. The applecore pattern is a Charm quilt. It is said that a young lady who wanted to be married would have 999 different pieces of fabric (not one fabric alike) and the last piece (to make 1000) would be brought to her by her soon to be husband!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by terri bb View Post
    holy cow! thats so many blocks! mine is 374 and it is huge! i realized last nite i was about 3/4 the way done with it. and in less than 8 weeks start to "right now". i am so pleased! i need to find other little blocks to play with. i have thoroughly enjoyed doing this. i only quilt on it at nite while im watching tv and pending on what is on is how much i actually get done! it is very relaxing to have something to fiddle with. i have found that i have a hard time letting my hands stay idle for too long! thankfully i am going to be able to get outside alot this summer and im finding out its pretty warm under that quilt at nite now to work on! might best be a fall/winter/spring project! but i can't stop now until it is done! LOL guess ive engaged mouth a bit too long here! will post picture when done and thanks for giving me my two seconds on the soapbox! a year ago someone told me i would have to try to hand sew and i laughed them out of town. so much for never say never! someday me and #1 are goin to end up behind the woodshed......LOL its all her fault i tell my hubby!
    Behave or I'm going to give you a cookie!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dixie_fried View Post
    I love the apple core!
    Thanks for this link. I've printed (don't know how to SAVE -- don't ask) the awesome directions and pictures.
    One step at a time, always forward.

i read your post Gail and thought i would post a pic here of my quilt in case you didn't see it in the pic section to keep it all together. try it sometime! it is going to be my fave for years to come!Name:  001.JPG
Views: 832
Size:  930.4 KB

Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chickadeee55 View Post
    Terri, that is awesome. I love it. Don't understand this pattern, but I sure love the outcome. Great job ladies.
    This pattern is really very simple. One piece fits exactly into the curve of the other one. You lay one across and the next one up and down. Once you get the hang of it, it will go faster than you think. Try it!! You can do it.

Is this pattern hand sewn? (my eyes could never handle it.)

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.

Blog Entries

Is there a method for machine piecing? I have lots of civil war scraps and shirting scraps, I would think would look great like this.
    Certainly you can stitch this on the machine. I just find that when sewing curves like this, it is so much easier for me to hand stitch. It is a fun pattern. Try it .... You'll like it.

Blog Entries
    Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again.. Thanks for the inspiration.......
    The only gift is a portion of thyself.....Ralph Waldo Emerson

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Ladies, you've re-inspired me to try my hand at this....again.......I started one of these years ago (only got as far as drawing the shapes on the back of fabric) and it all felt so overwhelming I just stuffed it in a ziploc and buried it in a draw....now I want to drag it back out and try again.. Thanks for the inspiration.......
    You can do it!!! Drag those scraps out and get started!!! Need any help? Holler!

Blog Entries
    I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.
    Sandra
    Treat people the way you want to be treated!!

owlvamp, glad you saw this! i can send you a template and so can #1 as well. i think she is getting the die cut for this...you should pm her and ask her. they are fast to mark out and cut. i am almost done with my second top! it went together so much faster than the first and the stitches are so much more even and nice looking. i spose she's right with practice makes perfect! anyways, you can pm either me or #1 and we'll send you a template and get you started! awesome you want to try this!
    Quote Originally Posted by owlvamp View Post
    I would really love to try this as well. Not you cut out each apple core yourself right? Where do you find a pattern to help guide in he cutting? i don't own any diecut machine to this for me. But i would truely love to try this. You make it sound so easy.

Blog Entries

I'm sure you can sew this on the machine. Just take your time and gently ease you fabric around into place as you go.

Blog Entries
    This thread has inspired me....I bought the core die a few years back starting making a few rows but stopped and them ended up recutting the pieces into a different shape for my tumblers. But after seeing this post I think I may give it another shot but this time hand piecing it instead of machine...this would be a great bring along quilt when visiting others or waiting for appointments....even lunch break at work. Thanks for the post!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast