Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   10 minute block from you-tube (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/10-minute-block-you-tube-t81908.html)

Beginner10 10-02-2011 05:58 PM

quote:This may be a very dumb question but how do you get a larger square for the center to fit in? I said it was a dumb question.quote;

I think that is a very GOOD question...I was thinking the same thing.

Justlucy 10-03-2011 05:18 AM

Roberta if you could pm me I purchased the book and maybe I could give you the general instructions that way. I know it is against the law to copy them but I can write them so you nderstand. i made two lap quilts from the UTube tutitual. [email protected]

Deb watkins 10-03-2011 05:30 AM

[quote=GailG]

Originally Posted by Sue Fish

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Quiltsmith asked me to post this as she has dial up and just cannot access you-tube for this. I used two different fabrics for the 4-patch section, and a focus fabric for the center. There are 14 pics in this tutorial. Please pm me if you have any questions!

Great tute...nice of you to do that...I really like doing this block but have to say I like it much better with a larger square for the center...fills it in more...and I like smaller blocks in general but love the method..a fun project

Not a dumb question. If you want a larger center block....here is what you can do. Say your outside blocks are 5 inches. Cut the center square block 7 inches. Sew together as indicated. If you want to make a faux Cathedral Windows, take another peice that is maybe 6.5 inches, put in the center and fold down the edges of the block. I will do one tonight and post it when I am done.

valerieolm 10-03-2011 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Justlucy
Roberta if you could pm me I purchased the book and maybe I could give you the general instructions that way. I know it is against the law to copy them but I can write them so you nderstand. i made two lap quilts from the UTube tutitual. [email protected]

I also purchased the book. Has great step by step picture instructions.

valerieolm 10-03-2011 08:50 AM

[quote=Deb watkins]

Originally Posted by GailG

Originally Posted by Sue Fish

Quiltsmith asked me to post this as she has dial up and just cannot access you-tube for this. I used two different fabrics for the 4-patch section, and a focus fabric for the center. There are 14 pics in this tutorial. Please pm me if you have any questions!

Great tute...nice of you to do that...I really like doing this block but have to say I like it much better with a larger square for the center...fills it in more...and I like smaller blocks in general but love the method..a fun project

Not a dumb question. If you want a larger center block....here is what you can do. Say your outside blocks are 5 inches. Cut the center square block 7 inches. Sew together as indicated. If you want to make a faux Cathedral Windows, take another peice that is maybe 6.5 inches, put in the center and fold down the edges of the block. I will do one tonight and post it when I am done.

If the center block is bigger, how can you make it tight enough so that it doesn't pleat and lays flat if you want to make the cathedral windows?

Deb watkins 10-03-2011 08:54 AM

You still sew it the same way you would for the 5 inch block. The center will just be a little larger. Press it flat - like you would the smaller block. When you put in the 'window' piece, and fold the background block edges, I would sugest that those be machine stitched. That will secure the entire piece. I will do one tonight and post the pics.

Blast these double posts. Those October Gremlins sure are BUSY!!!!

Deb watkins 10-03-2011 08:56 AM

You still sew it the same way you would for the 5 inch block. The center will just be a little larger. Press it flat - like you would the smaller block. When you put in the 'window' piece, and fold the background block edges, I would sugest that those be machine stitched. That will secure the entire piece. I will do one tonight and post the pics. It should look just like the first pic posted from dgreenan.

valerieolm 10-03-2011 08:58 AM

I made this quilt using 10" squares and stitched the tops down. However, I found if I didn't pull the center square tight enough it didn't lay right. Putting in the additional center square in alternate rows covered more area and gives it a totally different look, which is my favorite out of the examples shown in the book.

Deb watkins 10-04-2011 04:27 AM

You still sew it the same way you would for the 5 inch block. The center will just be a little larger. Press it flat - like you would the smaller block. When you put in the 'window' piece, and fold the background block edges, I would sugest that those be machine stitched. That will secure the entire piece. I will do one tonight and post the pics. It should look just like the first pic posted from dgreenan.

Did the blocks, but it got so late that I didn't have time to post pics. Will get to that tonight.

valerieolm 10-04-2011 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by dgreenan3232
quilt i made from faux cathedral tut on youtube same block focus block is bigger. really easy.

Very nice! Love centers with the white back ground.