Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   10 minute block from you-tube (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/10-minute-block-you-tube-t81908.html)

Deb watkins 12-10-2010 11:41 AM

13 Attachment(s)
Quiltsmith asked me to post this as she has dial up and just cannot access you-tube for this. I used two different fabrics for the 4-patch section, and a focus fabric for the center. There are 14 pics in this tutorial. Please pm me if you have any questions!

Pink square right side up, focus fabric folded in half wrong sides together, white square right side down
[ATTACH=CONFIG]140997[/ATTACH]

With all the raw edges on the top, sew down the right side of the pieces.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141001[/ATTACH]

Open the pieces up,
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141011[/ATTACH]

Fold the focus (center) block in half wrong sides together, place on top of the pink square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141013[/ATTACH]

Fold the first two squares together, so the folded piece is alone. If the bottom piece is white, place the pink square down, put the folded piece on the right side edge, and put the white block on top. Sew down the right side of that edge. by alternating the blocks, you make a 4-patch color
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141017[/ATTACH]

Now you have both sides of the focus block attached to the 4-patch blocks. Note that the top and bottom colors are opposite.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141018[/ATTACH]

Two different 4-patch blocks with one focus block. Al blocks are cut 5 inches square
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141019[/ATTACH]

Make sure the edges of the center block are not caught in the top seam.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141020[/ATTACH]

"open" the center block, and match up the left side blocks, pin, then match up the right side blocks. The center block will be a little bunched up. It is important to match up the center seams. I pin the seams open.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141021[/ATTACH]

pin left, center and right sides together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141024[/ATTACH]

Sew down the entire right side, when you get to the center, you may have to do a needle down and 'straighten out' the center a bit. When done, you will have the focus block in the center!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141096[/ATTACH]

I pressed all the seams open, that ensured that the center piece was even with the seams on the front
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141099[/ATTACH]

For a little variation you can fold back the edges to give a curved affect. I did plain centers on the Strawberry shortcake and added applique's in the center.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]141101[/ATTACH]

CoyoteQuilts 12-10-2010 12:38 PM

Thanks Deb, Great tute!

Momma_K 12-10-2010 12:41 PM

Yep! You got it down pat! Great instructions, it'll be a big help!! Thanks :-P

craftybear 12-10-2010 01:14 PM

thanks for the tutorial, you are the greatest for taking the time to create this tutorial for all of us

A Big Bear Hug!

Deb watkins 12-10-2010 02:10 PM

I know that this block has captured the attention of all of us because it is so easy. Yet, those who have dialup are unable to get it! Someone posted a bunch of pretty pictures that we can click on and add - and it inspired me to do some applique' blocks.

Sue Fish 12-10-2010 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins
Quiltsmith asked me to post this as she has dial up and just cannot access you-tube for this. I used two different fabrics for the 4-patch section, and a focus fabric for the center. There are 14 pics in this tutorial. Please pm me if you have any questions!

Great tute...nice of you to do that...I really like doing this block but have to say I like it much better with a larger square for the center...fills it in more...and I like smaller blocks in general but love the method..a fun project

dungeonquilts 12-10-2010 03:35 PM

Thank U, Thank U...for posting this today. I looked all morning as I thought I had bookmarked (will be now. Great tut....

Pinkiris 12-10-2010 09:53 PM

Bless you, Deb!!! I, too, have dialup and can't access this at home. I had looked at it while visiting our library, but couldn't remember some of the fabric positions. You've saved me from a trip to town--no small feat! Predictions are for 10-14" of snow here in the next 24 hours!! I'll be glad to just stay home and sew!!

Thanks again!

Sue

Deb watkins 12-11-2010 02:10 AM

You are so welcome Sue. Now, with all that snow coming, let us see your blocks when they are done! I plan on doing a few NICU quilts like this, but will stitch the center block down as they can get caught on things for the little ones.

rusty quilter 12-11-2010 02:48 AM

Great Tutorial!