Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   4 patches from 5" charm squares (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/4-patches-5%22-charm-squares-t35681.html)

wendiq 02-06-2010 07:26 AM

Clever.....I'm adding this to my file.....Thanks so much.... :D

omak 02-07-2010 08:02 AM

Have you tried doing a nine patch with the same technique?
You end up with a positive and a negative nine patch, but it gets the job done <wave>
Good tutorial, too! :thumbup:

jamsbuying 02-08-2010 02:44 PM

oh, I MUST try this. Thanks for sharing.

NauDeeGal 02-08-2010 03:59 PM

Thank you for sharing this idea.

Another must try for me too!

omak 02-08-2010 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Have you tried doing a nine patch with the same technique?
You end up with a positive and a negative nine patch, but it gets the job done <wave>
Good tutorial, too! :thumbup:

Best to cut beginning squares that are divisible by 3.
Two squares, right sides together, stitch down the left and right side.
Cut the square into three pieces, parallel to your stitches.
a sample: nine inch square ... cut into three-3inch pieces.
open the sewn pieces up, take the center "free" pieces, sew to sewn pieces in a manner that will give you a sewn piece with alternating colors.
After pressing, place the striped squares, right sides together and stitch down the sides ACROSS the previous stitching.
Again, cut into three equal pieces - - yield: two pieces of six little blocks, and two pieces that are three blocks each. One of the pieces will be light/dark/light -- the other pieces will be dark/light/dark.
the free pieces will be sewn to each of the 6-block pieces in a manner that will result in two nine patch blocks, one with majority light, one with majority dark.
Does that help? <wave>

Quiltsbybarb 02-12-2010 09:24 PM

This is really a slick method. Thanks for sharing. I also like the nine patch idea, too.

Barb

ConnieF 02-12-2010 09:47 PM

For a really scrappy look instead of putting tow of the same colors together make a bunch and then mix up the halfs and you will have no two alike... This is Billy Lauders method she is so awsome to watch and she is on www.zeeltv.com right now withthe barjello and the quick scrappy nine patches...
Great demo...

omak 02-12-2010 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by ConnieF
For a really scrappy look instead of putting tow of the same colors together make a bunch and then mix up the halfs and you will have no two alike... This is Billy Lauders method she is so awsome to watch and she is on www.zeeltv.com right now withthe barjello and the quick scrappy nine patches...
Great demo...

Billie Lauder really has made a lot of fun techniques, hasn't she? so cool! <wave>

gymjomo 02-12-2010 10:57 PM

You made it look so easy. Thanks :-)

Tootsie 02-16-2010 09:10 PM

Well wow! Clever idea and starting with charm squares makes it that much easier. Great job on both the idea and tute!