Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Fabric covered needlework box (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/fabric-covered-needlework-box-t28902.html)

amma 12-11-2009 05:02 PM

I am excited to see your fabric box sandpat :D:D:D

cutebuns 12-11-2009 09:11 PM

Should I tell you all that I buy my elastic by the roll? It will be a while before I run out, I think the roll that is the size for this had 144 yards on it

cutebuns 12-11-2009 09:12 PM

And I haven't even started drawing yet. I should have, I hope that this weekend I get some stuff done and I can focus on other things for a bit.

Lacelady 12-12-2009 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
I'm not sure Lesley, but seems like they do have that service. Seems I read that somewhere when I was buying the pair for my Grandmother.

I got more elastic today..9 yrds...should do me huh??? :wink: Got the insides all done and I'm ready to sew the outers to the bottom, then gussets...I'm almost there..I can feel it!

DH is very impressed....said it "looks better than store bought!"

Wooo Hooo, praise indeed from DH - I am chuffed to bits - 'better than store bought', and when you think of the cost, it is very little really - a total of three quarters of a yard of fabric, a few inches (inches Patti, not yards LOL) of elastic, small quantity of batting and some card, probably less than an A3 sheet.

sandpat 12-12-2009 05:44 AM

CB...you buy like I do...if a little is needed...buy alot..you just never know, right??? :wink:

Lesley..I am an idiot....even after all your warnings...I put the batting on the outsides...sideways...so last night had to strip those, cut new batting and redo. But, I did all the insides finished and then got all the outsides sewn to the bottom..I'm almost home now for sure!!

I was a little confused about the pockets (I don't have a sewing background)..but I ended up sewing a hem all the way around..then doing my turning for the elastic. I then sewed the elastic together (I did that on the elastic straps too)..then just slide it over the lining piece. I hope that will work. The pockets looked like little skirts before I sewed the bottom down :roll: Please tell me that sewing the elastic together in the back will work out fine... :?

Lacelady 12-12-2009 06:55 AM

Oh, Patti, of course your elastic will work fine. I sewed mine together, because I couldn't see that just glueing them would hold in the long term. As for the pockets, you probably did more than needed. Yes, I put a casing for the elastic along the top, and that was it - no sewing down the sides or bottom, as the sides get glued down, and the bottom I put a few stitches in just to hold the pleats or gathers in place, but the edges were still raw. Don't forget that all the raw edges will be hidden when these box linings get stuck to the outsides.
As for the other little problem, don't worry, we are all human, and if you make another box, you won't do that again, will you. I am dying to see the finished box, and the fabric you chose. Just people's choice of fabric makes them look incredibly different. Some do really startling interiors, just for the hell of it. I once saw one that had a bright green frog appliqued to the lining in the bottom, for a joke.

Butterflyspain 12-12-2009 11:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here comes No. 2 box. I love the fabric, spot the mistake LOL

Okay I will tell you the wisteria are not hanging down the way. :?

Never mind this one is for me, will give the other as a present.

2nd Box
[ATTACH=CONFIG]58498[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 12-12-2009 01:54 PM

Double wow, Elle, what a lovely box - Even with you telling me to find the deliberate mistake, I didn't spot it, so I doublt suppose many others would either, and I love the fabric, I am rather partial to oriental designs myself. You seem to have made this one quicker, was it easier this time? My second one was.

Butterflyspain 12-12-2009 02:20 PM

Yes it did seem quicker this time. I donīt think anyone will notice really. its a deliberate mistake that works. :?

sandpat 12-12-2009 04:25 PM

Elle, its beautiful!!! I don't see any mistakes...and wouldn't care anyway. I have mine almost finished...just have to glue the 2nd side of the gussets and put the liner in the bottom..Its pretty..I like it..will be able to post a pic tomorrow.