Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Carpenter's Star Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-carpenters-star-pattern-t38408.html)

JudyG 05-08-2010 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Okay, Marilyn, I did it. Just finished the block and decided to show you. When I first finished it, I thought, Gee I wonder why I don't like it as much as I like Marilyn's. Then I realized I had the fourth row in upside down. What a difference it made when I turned it around. Now I love it. I will put a couple of borders on it and it will look great hanging above my bed.

Thanks for the tutorial. It worked great. It didn't end up at 28" like I originally planned because I goofed when I cut the fabric, so it finished at 24, but that's okay. I like the size and think it will be just right when I get the borders on.

Carpenter Star Block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]52391[/ATTACH]

danmar 05-08-2010 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by JudyG
Okay, Marilyn, I did it. Just finished the block and decided to show you. When I first finished it, I thought, Gee I wonder why I don't like it as much as I like Marilyn's. Then I realized I had the fourth row in upside down. What a difference it made when I turned it around. Now I love it. I will put a couple of borders on it and it will look great hanging above my bed.

Thanks for the tutorial. It worked great. It didn't end up at 28" like I originally planned because I goofed when I cut the fabric, so it finished at 24, but that's okay. I like the size and think it will be just right when I get the borders on.

Hi Judy! I love it too!!! I think the Carpenter's Star is the most beautiful block there is. I am so glad that you posted the picture of it and that you love it too! Thank you!!!

Marilyn

zz-pd 05-12-2010 10:49 PM

you do such beautiful work, thank you so much for sharing with us. God bless. Penny

ranger 05-13-2010 03:30 AM

Thanks for the tute.

danmar 05-13-2010 06:50 AM

Thank you everybody. I appreciate your comments, compliments and interest in my quilts.
Marilyn

Debi S 05-14-2010 10:54 AM

Has anyone done the math to make this in a 40" square and added borders to make it about 50 x 50? If someone can figure out the size of the cut squares please let me know.
Debi

JudyG 05-14-2010 11:50 AM

To end up with a block that is 40" finished, the individual blocks would have to be 5 inches finished, 5-1/2 inches unfinished.

Using Marilyn's numbers, instead of 2" squares, you would need 5.5" squares. Instead of 2-3/8" squares, use 6" squares. To make the half square triangle blocks, I would start with 6" squares and trim them down after sewing the diagonal stitching. Then to make it 50x50, you would need to add 5" of borders. I would use one small border (say 1.5")and one larger border (say 3.5")

Debi S 05-14-2010 12:29 PM

Perfect! Just what I was looking for.

Judie 05-30-2010 08:05 PM

wow.. you guys, sorry GALS are so smart..(got in trouble for saying guys once) and you're talented too!

I love this block.. I saw it one other time and could not remember the name.. Thank you for showing them. The blocks are just beautiful..

It would be fun to see a large one block quilt, with a matching border of the smaller blocks.. now that could be a stunner!

Marilyn, you're daughter's quilt is just wonderful. I know she will treasure it the rest of her life. Thanks for the tute!

mimistutz 06-03-2010 09:36 AM

Hi, I am new to this site and to quilting. I love this pattern and a big thank you for posting it. I think even I will be able to follow this. One question tho, how long and how many times did it take to get this pattern drawn? I would love to be able to do that. :thumbup: