Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   My Carpenter's Star Pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/my-carpenters-star-pattern-t38408.html)

cminor 06-03-2010 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by momymom
Your HQT should start 1/2 in biggger, 3/4 to be on the safe side. Make the HST as usual, Then square them up to match the 61/2 in squares. So, for the HQT start with a 7in square.

Thats what I was afraid of. I have all the squares cut and some of the triangles done. Can I just cut down the squares that don't get made into triangles? I started with all 6 in unfininshed squares.

This math stuff is still so beyond me! Maybe my best option would be to square up my trianges, then make my squares of the background fabric 1/2 in smaller?

Or did I read that completly wrong. Should the background squares and all the HST be the same size?

omak 06-03-2010 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by cminor
I am all over this!!! I have my squares cut out - but being a bit daring - I am starting with 6 in squares, sewing down the middle, cutting in half and hoping for the best. . .now that I think about it - will my full squares be too big? Should those get cut down a little? I usually try to stick with nice round numbers since I still have a hard time measuring correctly. :)

At least by cutting the six inch squares for the HST, you are safe with the size of your full squares.
The formula for HST is: 7/8" to an inch larger than the size of the block you are trying to create.
You will have to trim, but at least you will have something you can trim <g> ...
Had you wanted to have 6 inch HST - - you would have cut squares that were 7 inches or 6 7/8", draw diagonal, sew on each side, cut on drawn line ...
Very clever of you, and you will find that you will learn a lot with your experimental mentality <wave> don't forget to share your results!
;)

smtp5 06-03-2010 11:19 AM

Very pretty!

cminor 06-03-2010 11:22 AM

Ok I think I get it now. I do think I will want to square my HST to something nice and round. I think I am at about 5 3/4 now but I don't remember for sure. (That is what happens when your on the computer at work - and the pcs are at home!) Then I can cut my squares to match and be all set!

momymom 06-03-2010 11:24 AM

Your HQT should start 1/2 in biggger, 3/4 to be on the safe side. Make the HST as usual, Then square them up to match the 61/2 in squares. So, for the HQT start with a 7in square.

Thats what I was afraid of. I have all the squares cut and some of the triangles done. Can I just cut down the squares that don't get made into triangles? I started with all 6 in unfininshed squares.

This math stuff is still so beyond me! Maybe my best option would be to square up my trianges, then make my squares of the background fabric 1/2 in smaller?

Or did I read that completly wrong. Should the background squares and all the HST be the same size?

cminor is right. I don't do the math any more. I guess it's a case of I've been doing it so long, I just jump right in and do it with out thinking. Guess I type the same way. My pattern was in a magizine, I didn't have to do the math, some one did it for me. Never was good at it anyway!!

nwm50 06-03-2010 11:26 AM

itty bitty squares? I'll pass til i gain experience. But seriously you're sweet to post this for us. I'm going to bookmark this though for later. This is such a real purty pattern.

momymom 06-03-2010 11:42 AM

With the grid provided, you can start with any size square you want.

omak 06-03-2010 03:45 PM

Ok I think I get it now. I do think I will want to square my HST to something nice and round. I think I am at about 5 3/4 now but I don't remember for sure. (That is what happens when your on the computer at work - and the pcs are at home!) Then I can cut my squares to match and be all set!

Sounds like you have it down. <wave>

momymom 06-03-2010 04:37 PM

Sorry if I got ypu confused. I don't always think things through. I guess you could say I'm a bit inpulsive. I did look up my pattern, and it did say 7 in squares for the HQT. The standard formula says to add 7/8 in. I guess I need to do a little review.

danmar 06-03-2010 04:50 PM

Sorry if I got ypu confused. I don't always think things through. I guess you could say I'm a bit inpulsive. I did look up my pattern, and it did say 7 in squares for the HQT. The standard formula says to add 7/8 in. I guess I need to do a little review.

Hi momymom! I love your avatar. Is it from your garden? Beauuuu tii fullll