Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   quick way to create half square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-way-create-half-square-triangles-t74134.html)

jpmaroni 11-07-2010 03:47 AM

Awesome method!

grann of 6 11-07-2010 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by Bev

Originally Posted by copehome
Moda Bake Shop has a "recipe" using that method -

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/09/...iffy.html#more

I looked at that site and am wondering what size layer cake squares are. Do you know? They don't say in the "recipe." I don't see any reason to buy a package of squares to make the lap quilt if I have enough fabric to make the squares from my own.
I absolutely love this method of cutting the half square triangles. 8-)

Layer cakes are 10".

aborning 11-07-2010 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jan22
Most fabric shops carry it. I think Joann's might too. It's called Mary Ellen's Best Press. Do a search on Google, you'll see it. Then you'll know what your looking for at the shop.

I also use Best Press. It is awesome. Even though it is not real cheap--it is worth it to use it!

grann of 6 11-07-2010 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by aborning

Most fabric shops carry it. I think Joann's might too. It's called Mary Ellen's Best Press. Do a search on Google, you'll see it. Then you'll know what your looking for at the shop.

I also use Best Press. It is awesome. Even though it is not real cheap--it is worth it to use it!

Yes, I started using it too. Although you when you spray it you can see the level in the bottle go down. I may either try to find it by the gallon or find a good alternative.

jan22 11-07-2010 06:28 AM

I buy Best Press by the gallon, then pour it in my smaller spray bottle. I have 2 can's of spray starch on my shelf but have never used them. Best Press puts the sizing back in the fabric after washing it. I've had fabric folded for years, and that folding crease is hard to get out, but a quick shot of Best Press and a little ironing and it's totally gone. When I first saw it in the shop, I was very spectical and thought, I can find something cheaper. But after using a small container I was sold and have gone through 2 gallons since that initial purchase.

grann of 6 11-07-2010 06:57 AM

I buy Best Press by the gallon, then pour it in my smaller spray bottle. I have 2 can's of spray starch on my shelf but have never used them. Best Press puts the sizing back in the fabric after washing it. I've had fabric folded for years, and that folding crease is hard to get out, but a quick shot of Best Press and a little ironing and it's totally gone. When I first saw it in the shop, I was very spectical and thought, I can find something cheaper. But after using a small container I was sold and have gone through 2 gallons since that initial purchase.

Yes, I too was a little hesitant when I saw the price. Bought a bottle anyway, just went out and got my 2nd bottle and am now a believer. I used it on a flannel quilt I was making and what a difference. Well worth the price!

Bev 11-07-2010 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Tootsie
I think layer cake squares are 10".

Originally Posted by Bev

Originally Posted by copehome
Moda Bake Shop has a "recipe" using that method -

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/09/...iffy.html#more

I looked at that site and am wondering what size layer cake squares are. Do you know? They don't say in the "recipe." I don't see any reason to buy a package of squares to make the lap quilt if I have enough fabric to make the squares from my own.
I absolutely love this method of cutting the half square triangles. 8-)

Thank you!!

Elliotsgreatgrandma 11-07-2010 10:45 AM

Thank You Oma66 for that great and easy way to cut half-squares. I am making a Goose in the Pond quilt with and for my Mother (she quilts my quilts for me and wont take money but loves when I make her a quilt). Each block has 12 hst and 30 blocks were needed to cover her bed = 360 hst. I did them all the old way of cutting squares and sewing twice and cutting. Boy I will remember this method for next time. Thanks again. Gail

seweasy 11-07-2010 05:39 PM

Hi! Oma, To say that I appreciate the work you must have put into tutorial isn't enough. I was headed for the store to buy more fabric last Fri, when the computer cash registers all failed and no one was checking out! I left the store really feeling desperate because I really needed to get this baby gift started and I had no fabric to go home with.
All the I had were scraps from another quilt project and few other pieces. Its turning out to be a sweet little girls' quilt! Can't wait to show it off! Chris

quilterfly 11-07-2010 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by aborning

Yes, I started using it too. Although you when you spray it you can see the level in the bottle go down. I may either try to find it by the gallon or find a good alternative.

Joann's has Best Press in a couple of different scents & in gallon/half gallon refills. The gallon is about $30.00 but it should last a while. If you use the 40% off coupon it would be very reasonable indeed.