Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   quick way to create half square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-way-create-half-square-triangles-t74134.html)

cctx. 11-09-2010 11:35 AM

Thank you for the tute, I will be trying it sometime.

Bev 11-09-2010 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by grann of 6

Originally Posted by GailG
Have any of you ever tried the recipe for making the "Best Press" at home? It seems it's just cornstarch, water, and essential oil scent. I was wondering if it gunked up the iron sole plate.

I don't think Best Press has cornstarch in it, the bottle says it will not attract bugs. Anything with the cornstarch will, tho. I don't like the homemade kind because it makes such a mess of the iron soleplate. I have enough things to clean without having to clean the iron all the time.

I couldn't agree more! Imagine what kinds of bugs we'd have here in FL. if we used a cornstarch spray starch. Wow, the bugs would be all over my sewing room, not to mention anyplace else that had a quilt made with cornstarch. Of course washing should take it all out, but I still wouldn't want to take a chance. It seems that, here at least, once you get a certain kind of bug you may as well accept the fact that you'll be battling it for life.
And believe me, I've lived here all my life. I watched my mom and grandmom battle the bugs. If you turn your back for a moment, they take over. Just like the vines and grass.

PiecesinMn 11-09-2010 12:27 PM

Believe it or not, Fleet Farm also carries it.

Originally Posted by patdesign

Originally Posted by jan22
I love Best Press instead of starch. It doesn't leave a residue on my fabric, gives it just enough body to hold and the best part is it smells good and no mess on my flat iron. The quilt in my avatar has lots of quarter square trianges around the outside and none of them stretched thanks so Best Press.

Where do you find Best Press? Thanx

vwquilting 11-10-2010 01:16 PM

Thanks for sharing. Very interesting.

Boxer mom 11-10-2010 07:28 PM

Very cool, thanks for the tip.

kwheeler 11-10-2010 07:44 PM

When I make half square triangles, I cut a 9 1/2" square from both fabrics I intend to use; put right sides together and mark a diagonal line from corner to corner and also from the opposite diagonal. I use that line to sew 1/4" seams on either sign of the diagonal lines. Then I cut the whole square in 4 quarters, then cut the lines left between the seams and end up with 8 3 1/2" half square triangles.

Gullet 11-11-2010 10:07 AM

Thank you for posting it.I have never heard of it I will try it at once.

grann of 6 11-11-2010 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by kwheeler
When I make half square triangles, I cut a 9 1/2" square from both fabrics I intend to use; put right sides together and mark a diagonal line from corner to corner and also from the opposite diagonal. I use that line to sew 1/4" seams on either sign of the diagonal lines. Then I cut the whole square in 4 quarters, then cut the lines left between the seams and end up with 8 3 1/2" half square triangles.

I have done that too, but I think sewing around the edges and cutting diagonally is faster, no marking.

BettyB 11-11-2010 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by jan22
Here's the chart we were given, but I have not tested any of them to see if the final is with or without the 1/4" seam.
2" sq = 1 " HST
2.5 = 1.5
3.5=2
4=2.5
5=3.5
6=4
7=4.5
8=5
8.5=5.5
9=6
10=7

I made hst using 5 inch blocks and they only squared up to 3 inches not 3 1/2.

Gullet 11-11-2010 12:32 PM

Thank you for the answer.