Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   quick way to create half square triangles (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/quick-way-create-half-square-triangles-t74134.html)

GailG 11-08-2010 02:18 AM

Have any of you ever tried the recipe for making the "Best Press" at home? It seems it's just cornstarch, water, and essential oil scent. I was wondering if it gunked up the iron sole plate.

plainpat 11-08-2010 03:18 AM

I haven't made it....remember when my Mom always made starch....so that's not new.
The spray starch works for me, but I'm sure someone will have the directions to make your own.Here is one way.
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...lt-fabric.html

Originally Posted by GailG
Have any of you ever tried the recipe for making the "Best Press" at home? It seems it's just cornstarch, water, and essential oil scent. I was wondering if it gunked up the iron sole plate.

GailG 11-08-2010 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by justme2
I haven't made it....remember when my Mom always made starch....so that's not new.
The spray starch works for me, but I'm sure someone will have the directions to make your own.Here is one way.
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...lt-fabric.html

thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing -- that this stuff was similar to the starch we'd cook up on the stove and let it cool. Then we'd run the garments to be starched through it and hang it out to dry. Oh my! We really did a lot of work in those days.

:roll:

plainpat 11-08-2010 03:51 AM

I always had a basket of dampened clothes to be ironed.You could also keep them in the freezer till you were ready to iron. Neither of our 2 DDs owns an iron.:-)

thanks for the response. I was thinking the same thing -- that this stuff was similar to the starch we'd cook up on the stove and let it cool. Then we'd run the garments to be starched through it and hang it out to dry. Oh my! We really did a lot of work in those days.

tazama 11-08-2010 05:42 AM

Until going to the link from JustMe2, I had no idea that starched items could attract critters like silver fish. You learn something new every day! I made some homemade starch the other night. I wanted to get my fat quarters pressed, it was late and I was out of starch. So I made some the old fashioned way. Does anyone know if the store bought starch attracts critters too?

Nolee 11-08-2010 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Lukayna
Are you serious?! I think that is the coolest thing I've seen/learned about quilting...ever! Brillant - thanks for sharing!

I try to avoid any quilt with hst's in it just because I am so lousy at them. You have given me a real encouragement to try this. Thank you for sharing this with us "cowards." LOL

Bev 11-08-2010 11:48 AM

[quote=justme2]I always had a basket of dampened clothes to be ironed.You could also keep them in the freezer till you were ready to iron. Neither of our 2 DDs owns an iron.:-)

Oh good grief!! How well I remember those days too. My bag of dampened clothes was always taking up space in the freezer. DH thought I was weird. But the truth is that, here in FL., with the awful humidity and mold problems before a.c. in everyone's home, we HAD to do things like that. Leave that dampened bag of clothes out for a day or two (if you couldn't get it finished quickly,) and your clothes would need to be washed all over again to get the musty smell out.

plainpat 11-08-2010 11:56 AM

DD has lived in Fl for nearly 20 yrs & we spent several winters there. DD freezes everything....all food that is opened but doesn't need to be in fridge goes in her freezer. Try to keep the damp & critters away.She even freezes chips.

[quote=Bev]

Originally Posted by justme2
I always had a basket of dampened clothes to be ironed.You could also keep them in the freezer till you were ready to iron. Neither of our 2 DDs owns an iron.:-)

Oh good grief!! How well I remember those days too. My bag of dampened clothes was always taking up space in the freezer. DH thought I was weird. But the truth is that, here in FL., with the awful humidity and mold problems before a.c. in everyone's home, we HAD to do things like that. Leave that dampened bag of clothes out for a day or two (if you couldn't get it finished quickly,) and your clothes would need to be washed all over again to get the musty smell out.

grann of 6 11-08-2010 12:08 PM

I don't think Best Press has cornstarch in it, the bottle says it will not attract bugs. Anything with the cornstarch will, tho. I don't like the homemade kind because it makes such a mess of the iron soleplate. I have enough things to clean without having to clean the iron all the time.

awf60 11-08-2010 12:24 PM

I am one of the brand new quilters who learned an awesome tip from you. Thank you!