Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Tutorials (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/)
-   -   Turning 2.5” Scraps into a Log Cabin Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/tutorials-f10/turning-2-5%94-scraps-into-log-cabin-block-t275789.html)

oksewglad 11-01-2016 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by happylab (Post 7671815)
I'm back in the land of being able to use wifi internet again. 2 weeks with spartic usage is boring. I missed chatting. I'm glad both bd ladies received their candy.
I'm also like the 2 1/2' log cabin quilt. I'm currently working on that one. I making it king size, total of 72 blocks, if I calculated it right.
I'm practicing with sending a pic on this site, so I'm just sending a practice pic. [ATTACH=CONFIG]559891[/ATTACH]

This will be lovely...

GwenH 11-23-2016 12:21 PM

This is a beautiful quilt, and a great tutorial, thank-you so much for sharing your tutorial, I have so many 2" squares so I'm going to try making it with them, I was needing a new idea since I have made 4 or 5 quilts using 2" squares and I still have so many of them, I think those little squares are multiplying when I'm asleep.

tuckyquilter 11-24-2016 05:14 PM

This is a great tutorial. I can see a complete novice using this to make a beautiful quilt. Pictures are worth a 1000 words.

zozee 11-27-2016 01:02 PM

Correct my thinking if I'm wrong, but I can picture this block being made by first making a 9 patch, then adding the other pieces?

If there's no reason why it wouldn't work, I may just go ahead and start making 9 patches when I'm in the mood or as "leaders and enders" until I'm ready to add the whites with the remaining colored squares , closer to finishing time?

JENNR8R 11-27-2016 04:37 PM

That would work just fine. You can put it together any way that makes sense to you.

Actually, I make mine by arranging my pieces on top of the graph-paper pattern. I sew them together as a leaders and enders project. When that block is all sewed together, I arrange more scraps on the graph-paper pattern. When I have enough blocks, I make it into a quilt.

The only reason I did the tutorial this way is because people had a hard time picturing the scrappy logs.

zozee 11-27-2016 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 7707583)
That would work just fine. You can put it together any way that makes sense to you.

Actually, I make mine by arranging my pieces on top of the graph-paper pattern. I sew them together as a leaders and enders project. When that block is all sewed together, I arrange more scraps on the graph-paper pattern. When I have enough blocks, I make it into a quilt.

The only reason I did the tutorial this way is because people had a hard time picturing the scrappy logs.

I'm so glad you wrote the tutorial in the "traditional way" of making logs . It totally helped me picture doing it that way. Once I "got it" I saw it that way, I could see it built other ways. I'm eager to start it!

mtkoldra 12-28-2016 10:42 AM

your quilt and your directions have inspired me to start quilting again and use up my scraps,
thank you for sharing

Fabric Galore 12-29-2016 01:21 PM

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this tutorial. I have always loved the log cabin pattern and I have loads of scrap fabric. I love your quilt. What is the finished size of your quilt? I tried to count the blocks but I had trouble because they blend so nicely.

JENNR8R 12-29-2016 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by Fabric Galore (Post 7728475)
Thank you so much for taking the time to post this tutorial. I have always loved the log cabin pattern and I have loads of scrap fabric. I love your quilt. What is the finished size of your quilt? I tried to count the blocks but I had trouble because they blend so nicely.

You're welcome! :)

Each of my blocks is 10" finished. There are six blocks across and nine blocks down. With the added binding the quilt is approximately 61" x 91." You could change the number of blocks to get different dimensions. I wanted mine extra long because I like to wrap the bottom of the quilt under the mattress.

Fabric Galore 12-31-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R (Post 7662430)
Since this quilt has gotten such positive comments, I decided to enter it into the State Fair of Virginia... and I placed third! :) Woo Hoo!

One young woman said as she looked at it that it reminded her of her grandmother. How sweet!

What an honor to win a ribbon at a state fair. Congratulations not only on your beautiful blocks but on the overall workmanship.