Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: quick way to create half square triangles

Quote Originally Posted by jan22
    Most fabric shops carry it. I think Joann's might too. It's called Mary Ellen's Best Press. Do a search on Google, you'll see it. Then you'll know what your looking for at the shop.
    Thanks, will check. :-D

Blog Entries
    Thank you so much. This is the simplest way I have ever seen.

Moda Bake Shop has a "recipe" using that method -

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2009/09/...iffy.html#more

I've been quilting for many years and NEVER saw this! THANKS!!

Great tut oma..thank you for sharing this with us. I would have never thought of doing it this way!

Blog Entries
    A friend of mine told me about this at the hospital last week too. So it was great to hear that this really works. I had come home and tried one and called another friend who right away commented about whether it would stretch or not (Q.P. big time) and I told her I assumed it would since it was on the bias but that it went real fast and according to the lady who told me about it that the work went fast and she had no problem. I like the idea about starching so now I am going to tell my Q.P. friend (quilt police friend to the max) about the starch and I am going in today to cut lots of 9 1/2 inch squared for my scrappy quilt!!! Oh I love this idea!!!! Thanks for sharing all the ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by oma66
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    How do you determine the square sizes for the blocks that you want to make? For instance, if I needed 6 1/2 inch half square triangles, what size would the two squares need to be?
    I cut 91/2 in squares and ended up with 6 1/2 in half square triangle blocks.
    But how do you figure out how to large to make the square to get your perfect square triangle? What is the correst math. Is it plus 3 inches for all sizes?
    Sorry for being so dense.
    Never mind I found the math. Should read full thread before I ask questions. Sorry

Thank you so much for the info

Joann's does carry "Mary Ellen's Best Press". I've seen it on the web site.

Thanks for the tutorial. I had never seen them made this way. Looks lots easier will be trying it soon.

Perhapsed I missed it,but what is the size of your original square? I am math challenged but I would need to know this. Would'nt different sized squares produce different sized triangles. (DUH?)

Ida
    thanks for the tute!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah
    How do you determine the square sizes for the blocks that you want to make? For instance, if I needed 6 1/2 inch half square triangles, what size would the two squares need to be?
    I cut 91/2 in squares and ended up with 6 1/2 in half square triangle blocks.
    Soooooooo....you add 3 inches to the finished size of the half square you need for the size the the 2 large squares that will produce 4 half squares (hope this makes sense). :lol:

Page 3 of this thread has a posting of a chart that gives the beginning square size to create a HST.

Wow - what a fantastic tip. never heard of it before. This site is great for teaching. thanks ladies.

Blog Entries
    Thanks, Oma; great tutorial! I was going to work on a scrappy quilt for a baby gift so I think this is what I will work with this weekend. I printed out a 'printer version" tutorial from the Moda site(pg.4) and a copy/paste of the size chart from (pg.3). There was enough space at the end of Moda tutorial to tape the chart, this way I have both together. I've started a quilt workbook of sorts, so any tips or tutorials go in the workbook.
    And of you who posted great questions and posts, it really helps us all!!! Chris

Quote Originally Posted by llong0233
    Beautiful Arizona! I'm one step BEHIND you. I have been quilting for 4 years and still have trouble squaring up the fabric. It's the bane of my quilting existence. Do you have any great tips like this one for squaring up?
    best to use a bias square ruler. they come 4,6,8.9". etc.
    place the diagonal line on the ruler on the diagonal line of your HST. make sure you have the size you want to the R & Top side of the ruler, and check to see that you will have enough showing on the other edges to make the size you want. usually there is not a heck of a lot to trim. trim R & Top, turn square, true up again to your size. cut again.
    bigger blocks may be harder to do if you do not have that size square-up ruler. you will find that several sizes make live easier. if squaring squares, use one of the seams to line up the ruler on a straight line (can't thank of how to word that, but you will see when you try it)
    try some scraps to get familiar with the square ruler.
    hope this is clear enough. pm if not.

Is there a chart somewhere to know how big of squares to use for different sizes of half square Triangles

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieoh
    Is there a chart somewhere to know how big of squares to use for different sizes of half square Triangles
    See the 3rd page of this thread.

I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
    WOW - thank you for the great directions - Will being trying it tomorrow.

Great idea Oma (I could never get my GD to call me that, she does call DH Opa though). Were your squares 9.5 inches? I think I might have just figured out what my next quilt will be. Thank you for the inspiration.

If I want to make a 12 " block - what size should my triangles be using this technique?

Quote Originally Posted by copehome
    Page 3 of this thread has a posting of a chart that gives the beginning square size to create a HST.
    Thanks! :thumbup:

But a formula would be nice to have, in case we have a block we want to make that is not on the chart. By the chart, I don't see a pattern in the sizes to be able to come up with this myself - anyone out there have the FORMULA????

I love making them this way. I just used them to make flying geese around a wall hanging for my gd.

I made a bunch of these for charity quilts once and, upon complaining to fellow quilters that I was uneasy with the bias edges, one suggested I cut the original square on the bias, thus making the criss-cross cuts on straight of grain. Hum-m, need to go to sewing room and try this out. Just might work....not for sure.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast