Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
quick way to create half square triangles >

quick way to create half square triangles

quick way to create half square triangles

Old 11-05-2010, 10:27 AM

Perhapsed I missed it,but what is the size of your original square? I am math challenged but I would need to know this. Would'nt different sized squares produce different sized triangles. (DUH?)
Old 11-05-2010, 10:53 AM
Ida

thanks for the tute!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by oma66
Originally Posted by Tallulah
How do you determine the square sizes for the blocks that you want to make? For instance, if I needed 6 1/2 inch half square triangles, what size would the two squares need to be?
I cut 91/2 in squares and ended up with 6 1/2 in half square triangle blocks.
Soooooooo....you add 3 inches to the finished size of the half square you need for the size the the 2 large squares that will produce 4 half squares (hope this makes sense). :lol:
Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 AM

Page 3 of this thread has a posting of a chart that gives the beginning square size to create a HST.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Wow - what a fantastic tip. never heard of it before. This site is great for teaching. thanks ladies.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:42 PM

Thanks, Oma; great tutorial! I was going to work on a scrappy quilt for a baby gift so I think this is what I will work with this weekend. I printed out a 'printer version" tutorial from the Moda site(pg.4) and a copy/paste of the size chart from (pg.3). There was enough space at the end of Moda tutorial to tape the chart, this way I have both together. I've started a quilt workbook of sorts, so any tips or tutorials go in the workbook.
And of you who posted great questions and posts, it really helps us all!!! Chris
Old 11-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by llong0233
Beautiful Arizona! I'm one step BEHIND you. I have been quilting for 4 years and still have trouble squaring up the fabric. It's the bane of my quilting existence. Do you have any great tips like this one for squaring up?
best to use a bias square ruler. they come 4,6,8.9". etc.
place the diagonal line on the ruler on the diagonal line of your HST. make sure you have the size you want to the R & Top side of the ruler, and check to see that you will have enough showing on the other edges to make the size you want. usually there is not a heck of a lot to trim. trim R & Top, turn square, true up again to your size. cut again.
bigger blocks may be harder to do if you do not have that size square-up ruler. you will find that several sizes make live easier. if squaring squares, use one of the seams to line up the ruler on a straight line (can't thank of how to word that, but you will see when you try it)
try some scraps to get familiar with the square ruler.
hope this is clear enough. pm if not.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:45 PM

Is there a chart somewhere to know how big of squares to use for different sizes of half square Triangles
Old 11-05-2010, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh
Is there a chart somewhere to know how big of squares to use for different sizes of half square Triangles
See the 3rd page of this thread.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by oma66
I am sure that most of you have seen this method of creating half square triangles, but perhaps those new to quilting have not. the pictures below, I hope, show how it is done very clearly. I made enough half square triangles for a full size quilt in one long afternoon - that includes cutting, sewing, ironing and squaring up the blocks.
WOW - thank you for the great directions - Will being trying it tomorrow.