Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Quilt As You Go that Deb uses >

Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66223-1.htm
Here is the post for my hankie quilt that I did using Debs quilt as you go method
Old 10-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Nanalulu
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66223-1.htm
Here is the post for my hankie quilt that I did using Debs quilt as you go method
Oh it is great. What a nice way to remember your friend. I like the hankie quilts. I wanted to collect them for my DD but it is hard to find them any more. I have found some nice ones at, of all places, Dollar General! But other then thrift stores have no success at finding them. And those are sometimes yucky!!!

Thanks again, it was nice to see another quilt using this method...that I plan to use too!!!
Old 10-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

I did a QAYG for my Son about this same way back in the 80s, only I sewed them together on the front and turned under the backing and hand sewed them together. He still has it and the stitches are still together. Unless his weird wife has done something to it.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:13 AM

This is an awesome tute. I understood it right away in the beginning of your instructions. There is another QAYG tute for a strippy quilt here at the forum which I was going to use. But I think I have changed my mind and will be doing yours. Love the back of your quilt. I am going to have to draw a detailed map for my back for it to turn out right. LOL........
Thank Bunches for the tute. Good Job!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Short an Sweet
I'm having problems getting corners right on the final edge binding?
With the final binding, I did not do the QAYG method. I trimmed the entire outside to match the top and batting, then attached the 2-1/2 inch (folded in half) binding 1/4 inch (as I normally do) then fturned it to the back side and hand stitched it down.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaRae
This is an awesome tute. I understood it right away in the beginning of your instructions. There is another QAYG tute for a strippy quilt here at the forum which I was going to use. But I think I have changed my mind and will be doing yours. Love the back of your quilt. I am going to have to draw a detailed map for my back for it to turn out right. LOL........
Thank Bunches for the tute. Good Job!
I am glad that it seems easy for you to do. I have made several large quilts with this method. It surely saves my machine from being 'tugged' on, and I like the idea of a reverse quilt on the back, or solid center with outsides or corners different. It is like fun and done, I postd this before I even knew what Fun and Done was!
Old 11-22-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Jingleberry
I did a QAYG for my Son about this same way back in the 80s, only I sewed them together on the front and turned under the backing and hand sewed them together. He still has it and the stitches are still together. Unless his weird wife has done something to it.
That is a great idea as well, though I have not attempted it yet. My designs on the front are complicated enough to have to deal without making sure that my 'sashings' were completely hidden from the front view.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by goonberrie
have any of you done a "flippy" quilt that is quilted as you sew the strips on a batting square. Our guild did it as a sewing day class I really liked it. Of course my project is maxed out at 4 WHOLE blocks, a life time achievement, let me tell you I was smoking the ol' machine that day!!! hahahaa But I really do like the pattern.
I think Missouri Star Quilt company has a tute on this. It would be very easy to make a striped table topper in a short amount of time with this method.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:09 PM

Thank you Deb for the tutorial. That was great. Nice technique.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:58 AM

Originally Posted by Newby0709
Originally Posted by noveltyjunkie
Ah-ha! Now that I am looking at the photos on a larger screen, I can see that I misunderstood- you don't overlap the backing with the adjacent block but you use it to bind its own block.

But I still dont understand how you attach the blocks to each other and make the quilt fall nicely when used?
Perhaps this video link will make it clear.
https://www.baysidequilting.com/store/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=284]https://www.baysidequilting.com/stor...idCategory=284[/url]
Looked at the video. I MUST TRY THIS. Thanks very much for sharing. Will save a lot of frustration and hours.