Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Blog Entries
    Sewing outside? What a neat idea! I may move out to my front porch for the day!

Blog Entries
    Oh, and I loved the tutorial. I want to try this. I like the idea better than the cotton thery.

Sah-weet!!!!! Thanks so much for this!!!

Thanks for sharing this is a great idea. But then I get so many great ideas on this site.
    S

Thanks so much for the great tutorial.

Thanks for the tutorial. Have seen this done at quilt shows but have yet to try it

Isn't this method called fun and done?

This method is also shown in all of the Fun & Done patterns. Great technique. And no affiliation, just teach the technique at our local quilt shop.

Blog Entries
    Wow! Just the idea I've been looking for! Bless you! You have changed my life!

Blog Entries
    I can't wait to try this. I'm too old to invest in a long-arm and don't really have the room. It is more rewarding for me to complete my whole quilt, even though it is a struggle to squeeze it under the machine sometimes. This sounds like a fun alternative, even though it's not used for every quilt.

Seems like a neat way to finish a quilt. It is always nice to have options. I am curios though if you could do a blind hem stitch or blanket stitch to stitch down those 1" flaps? Also, for Franie...what about this method make a "flat" quilt?

Great tute, Deb. Thanks.

You must have read my mind..I've been toying with the idea of doing one but did't really know how...Thanks bunches..

Quote Originally Posted by jenna p in ga
    Seems like a neat way to finish a quilt. It is always nice to have options. I am curios though if you could do a blind hem stitch or blanket stitch to stitch down those 1" flaps? Also, for Franie...what about this method make a "flat" quilt?
    I just do a straight top stitch, but it may look really cool with a decorative stitch!
    I do want to emphasize that in order for your blocks to lay flat, it is really important that you sew your blocks together as so very close to the edge. This will also make sure that your 'sashings' are the same width. I will post more pics of this if wanted.

Try 'Fun and Done Quilting'. It's an easy way to do quilt as you go, and looks fabulous.

I use a similar method.I discovered it many years ago from a book by Georgia Bonesteele, Lap Quilting. She has several books out on this method of lap quilting/quilt as you go. Works great - no big frame to set up, or having to send it off to a long arm quilter.

Deb,
    Thanks for this tutorial. Well done. I have a dumb question about binding it.

Wouldn't you bind the outer edges the same way you did the sashings between the blocks? The way I see it, there will be a 1" border of backing around the entire quilt once all the rows are assembled that can be folded over and top stitched around.

I hope this makes sense.
    Janie

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Deb, thanks so much for the great tutorial!!! I do much better when I can see what's going on with the directions :)
    Thanks again!! Sue

Quote Originally Posted by JanieW
    Deb,
    Thanks for this tutorial. Well done. I have a dumb question about binding it.

Wouldn't you bind the outer edges the same way you did the sashings between the blocks? The way I see it, there will be a 1" border of backing around the entire quilt once all the rows are assembled that can be folded over and top stitched around.

I hope this makes sense.
    Janie
    I can sew what you are saying, and it would be a continuation of what has already been done with the inner pieces and an easy way to end the quilt instead of trimming off the outer edged and attaching a different binding strip. Gee, Janie, thanks for YOUR tip!

Janie...........you make perfect sense. Yes, you will have that extra inch hanging out all around the quilt. Just take it and fold it over the edge to the top and stitch. This technique does look nice all turned and topstitched. And, yes, you can use some of the decorative stitches on your machine, but the topstitching is the neatest (I think).
    Patty

You're welcome, Deb. I am keen to try this, you have inspired me to add one more project, cause I don't have enough to do yet . :D

Quote Originally Posted by gramblue
    Janie...........you make perfect sense. Yes, you will have that extra inch hanging out all around the quilt. Just take it and fold it over the edge to the top and stitch. This technique does look nice all turned and topstitched. And, yes, you can use some of the decorative stitches on your machine, but the topstitching is the neatest (I think).
    Patty
    Patty,
    It's not often anyone tells me I make sense, let alone "perfect" sense, so you made my day! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the tute Deb.

Blog Entries
    Will give it a try! Looking forward to seeing more of your pictures! Thanks!!!

Deb, thank you for the tutorial. I have been hesitant to try actual quilting - I've only done a couple small projects but this looks like something I could handle. Your directions and photos really helped me to "see" the process. I can't wait to see more pictures when you are done with the project.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast