Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Quilt As You Go that Deb uses >

Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Quilt As You Go that Deb uses

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by carol45
Deb,
I'm still unclear on one thing. I have some quilt blocks that I want to try this with. They are 12 1/2" square. But they have points at the 1/4" edges. It seems to me that I can do exactly your technique except I cut the backing fabric only 1/2" bigger all around instead of 1" all around, and that will give me 1/4" sashing on each flap which will allow the points to match the edges. Am I looking at this right, or am I missing something?
Thanks!
I would suggest cutting it larger, sewing.....THEN trim it if you want or you can just fold your edges to meet your 1/4 inch for points. I would rather have too much to work with and trim down than not enough and try to make it work (which it never does for me). I have the quilt completed, and will post a pic of front and back soon.
Old 07-13-2010, 02:22 PM

OK, next question....what if I leave my batting about 1/2" larger than the square and the backing 1 1/2" larger, so that when I fold the flaps less of the block is covered, thus making my "sashing' larger?! Have you tried something like that? I am affraid trimming the batting then turning the fabric will make my quilt smaller in the end. See I have 24 blocks that I want to divide to make two quilts, and want to use the sashing to make them larger. Does any of what I am saying make sense??? Thanks
Old 07-13-2010, 03:46 PM

Is it possible to see a pictire of 4 joined blocks? I have wanted to learn this for a while now, and yes I am following this tutorial! I am only doing a 9 block. My blocks are 21" by 24". These are the scraps from my last quilt. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:22 PM

Yes I will post the entire quilt front and back, as well as 4 blocks joined. I have just finished up 3 more quilts for the NICU so I didn't have time to get pics posted. I will do that on Wed.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 AM

Wonderful! Can't wait to see the pictures! You have done a great job explaining!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:09 AM

Once again, I have to say you're my hero! Your tutorial is great, a lot less complicated than trying to read all the qayg instructi0ns I've seen lately -- a picture is truly worth a 1,000 words. Thanx again for simplifying this procedure -- I may now actually try it.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:23 PM

I bookmarked this to try and just got thinking that if you make the last row of the top blocks 1" larger you could sew the blocks together and have the window pane strips on the back. So this can work for any blocks and you would not necessarily have to have one that looked good with the window pane look. Am I crazy or does this sound right?
Old 07-14-2010, 06:28 PM

I am loving the fact that so many of you have already thought of how to 'tweak' this to suit your own styles! Will post pic tomorrow, promise. And I purchased more fabric today to do this method for the NICU quilts. This method could be addicting!
Old 07-14-2010, 06:47 PM

What is NICU Quilt? Never mind....Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.... funny this was even brought up, because I have been going to the local hospital since I retired from the Army five years ago. Every year about a week before Christmas I go. Dressed as an ELF!!!! I take newborn hats to all the newborns, and teddybears, books and a little candy to the Pediatrics unit!!! Then if I have anything left, I go to the Emergency Room! Yes, dressed as an ELF! The nurses get a big kick out of it to, as I bring them all trays of Christmas cookies! I love it, I think I have more fun than the kids and the nurses do.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:22 PM

Hi Deb:
Thank you so much for posting these directions. I just posted my pictures under "pics" for my scrappy quilt challenge and wasn't sure how to do this process. I think I know exactly what you're talking about when attaching blocks to one another. I tried this on a tiny sampler just to test myself if I understood the process. It seems easy enough once ya get the hang of it. I am cutting costs as much as possible, so I am hoping I like the end results.

Your blocks are beautiful. Please post pictures when it's done. Would love to see the finished product.

Happy Quilting,
Linda