Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial >

Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial

Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial

Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM

Can you see how the 3" wide border was too much and took the focus off the center? Now it will connect better to the thin blue inner border and form a relationship - hahaha! No, I mean that seriously. There is a real connection now! Can you see the improvement>?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM

BTW, the red strips are there just to cover up and the binding I use will be the beige muslin. It'll form a nice connection. Do you think?
Old 04-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

When I look at my cropped pic wo the muslin the center pops out more. Right now the red is distracting me a bit. What if you narrow your pieced border, add a muslin border the width of the last muslin border and then bind in the royal blue floral? hey I gotta go and get some bookwork done tonight yet. Will be anxious to see how your finish! G
Old 04-12-2011, 06:00 PM
Power Poster

You did good on this tute! I love the way you inserted the words into the picture. I never thought of that. Tho I have inserted words onto a picture before. Just never thought of it in this instance. Great job!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
When I look at my cropped pic wo the muslin the center pops out more. Right now the red is distracting me a bit. What if you narrow your pieced border, add a muslin border the width of the last muslin border and then bind in the royal blue floral? hey I gotta go and get some bookwork done tonight yet. Will be anxious to see how your finish! G
Thanks, G, for your feedback! That's a good idea, I like it, but that's all of that blue floral I have except for 3" squares left and a 9" piece, but I have lots of blues that could come very close to it. I've decided to update the look of the mini by going with a narrow CP border and binding it in muslin or a similar drk. blue to match the inner border. I can see now in the pics here how the 3" border is just too wide for this mini. It will give it a smart look by cutting it down to half its size and possibly adding a thin muslin border as the last one. Hope you get your bookwork done and thanks for your help. Will see ya here tomorrow. n2! :D
Old 04-12-2011, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
You did good on this tute! I love the way you inserted the words into the picture. I never thought of that. Tho I have inserted words onto a picture before. Just never thought of it in this instance. Great job!
Hi Rhonda! So nice to chat with ya! Love your GC in the avatars I've seen lately that you've been using! They're so cute! Thank you so much on the compliment! I love MS Paints and I had deleted the program last year and never did get it back installed again until recently, but it's so fun to use and sure makes posting a tute a cinch! ;-) Your grandbaby was so darling as your avatar! I loved it!
Old 04-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Power Poster

thanks N2 they are all adorable and I am NOT predjudiced! LOL
I love seeing your work. You do things I'd never thought of. I enjoy watching the others work on here who love minis too.

I have Irfanview and have used it for things on my website but never thought to use it that way. thanks for the idea.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
thanks N2 they are all adorable and I am NOT predjudiced! LOL
I love seeing your work. You do things I'd never thought of. I enjoy watching the others work on here who love minis too.

I have Irfanview and have used it for things on my website but never thought to use it that way. thanks for the idea.
Well, they sure are cute! Wish I had GC as I love kids so much. Thank you so much, Rhonda! That's so nice of you to say you love seeing my work. You know I do things I've never thought of too! I just flow with the creative juices. I love seeing others' works too that love minis as much as you and me! You know I missed MS Paints so much and it really saved me a ton of time by writing on the pics as all I had to do was just download the pics with no typing -- fast, fast! Actually, I have http://www.paintnet.com too and it's much better but usually use MS because I'm familiar with it. Try both of those programs as you will love it and especially doing tutes. You can have your pics all prepared with the wording on each one and posting the tute will be a breeze! One tute took me 3 hours one time just to post it!! There were 80+ pics! So I have learned the shortcuts! And believe me they help! I've been so busy I didn't have time to check your tute out you posted the same day I posted this one. I only got to the first page to see how pretty the mirror image block was and quickly had to leave the thread for one interruption or another and never made it back. Tonight I'm trying to get the translator, either google or ms, to work for me to translate the Chinese on the other tute I posted and nothing works right. MS just changed the Mandarin into empty square blocks. lol. I don't need it translated but it would be nice to see things work right. haha. Your welcome for the idea. Sure hope you use it. You know everyone likes to get through a tute quickly as time is essential, and it's a plus factor in that respect. I believe they appreciate it when we try to keep it brief and easy! Well, talk to you later! Have a great night and keep those pretty blocks coming! n2 :-D
Old 04-13-2011, 10:35 AM

Finishing this mini:
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7756.jpe   attachment-182934.jpe   attachment-183666.jpe   attachment-183677.jpe   attachment-183679.jpe  

attachment-183682.jpe   attachment-183684.jpe   attachment-183685.jpe   attachment-183686.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:50 AM

WOW is this going to the top of my list.... it' good to see that other people like to "do their own thing",,, but even better to have them SHARE.... you've given something i love to do.. (grab and sew then cut up again any size pieces)... and given it "structure".... thank you so much.......i have a home sewing space that is like "the home for little wandering fabric pieces"... people know i can't bare to part or throw out... (just thru a bag in there not 1/2hr. ago from a buddy...LOL)... anywhooooooo
Thank you again... it's a super project and better explained that most any "books" people buy...hugs Barbara