Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial >

Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial

Rocky Road to Kansas Crazy Patch Mini Tutorial

Old 04-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Power Poster

N2 I love your outcome. It kind of looks like a cathedral window only squarish. It really came out pretty! I love the blue being repeated. It does really make the whole quilt.

I love it when quilters can take advice and come out a winner! Gladie was spot on on how to bring out it's best look!

You did an excellent job on the tute and the borders and of course a beautiful little quilt!
Old 04-13-2011, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by GrammaBabs
WOW is this going to the top of my list.... it' good to see that other people like to "do their own thing",,, but even better to have them SHARE.... you've given something i love to do.. (grab and sew then cut up again any size pieces)... and given it "structure".... thank you so much.......i have a home sewing space that is like "the home for little wandering fabric pieces"... people know i can't bare to part or throw out... (just thru a bag in there not 1/2hr. ago from a buddy...LOL)... anywhooooooo
Thank you again... it's a super project and better explained that most any "books" people buy...hugs Barbara
Wow! Hugs to you {{{{Barbara}}}! What a nice compliment! It's great to sew, cut up and then re-sew it all again! haha. I'm like you.....I can't bear to even throw out 1/4" of fabric! One time I was lacking 3/16" of a fabric in a mini I was working on! See how important those real tiny pieces are, y'all???? haha. Don't y'all dare throw ANY scraps away! Well, I just had to streamline that RRK block for everyone! I had to eliminate that 2nd template and I sure couldn't stand having no room left to adequately join those corner points! So it was time for an improved design on that block! I posted this last portion of pics so I could help others to see how we need to balance what we do with the rest of the quilt. I hope they'll see I gave the mini an updated look by chopping away at the border. I just introduced 'balance' to the mini by doing that. Then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I hope that I've taught well and hopefully someone will learn something from what I do or it's all pointless. I'm so glad for the opportunity to share also. There are so many talented people here that we wish they would share more with us! Thanks again! I'm looking forward to seeing those pieces of art of yours that have brought order out of chaos! haha. All those little scraps look like chaos sometimes but we know how to control it and hopefully turn it into something eyepleasing. That's why we're all here! Be sure and post pics of your lovelies and PM me so I don't miss it! hugs! n2! :thumbup:
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Rhonda
N2 I love your outcome. It kind of looks like a cathedral window only squarish. It really came out pretty! I love the blue being repeated. It does really make the whole quilt.

I love it when quilters can take advice and come out a winner! Gladie was spot on on how to bring out it's best look!

You did an excellent job on the tute and the borders and of course a beautiful little quilt!
Thanks, Rhonda! I think my finishing touch tomorrow will do it. You know the beautiful white center cross gives me an idea to do another mini like it only with a landscape behind the cross! I can just see a beautiful sunset there in gorgeous colors with greenery and springtime bursting out in the bottom blocks enough to grab the dreams of the person viewing it! Sounds good, huh? Now on to more work.......lol.

:thumbup:

p.s. you know I didn't even think about Oksewglad's suggestion. I just knew what I had to do and focused on what I wanted to achieve and went for it! ;)
Old 04-13-2011, 04:14 PM

Well, I just couldn't wait to finish! Here's my surprise final step!

It was the muslin prairie points! Now all that's left is to hand stitch the backing to the mini using an invisible applique stitch. Will be doing that tonight and HQ finally gets done tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-8501.jpe   attachment-9346.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:15 PM

Bev, here's the fabric I was talking about. n2.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-183884.jpe  
Old 04-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Power Poster

The PPts put the final touch n2! G
Old 04-14-2011, 06:10 AM

It turned out beautiful. I love the PP's around the edge. It finishes it off just right.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:43 AM

Wow! Thanks so much for showing another way to use all the crumb blocks I've been making. Is the template available online or is one that we can make from plastic?
Old 04-14-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Eileen
It turned out beautiful. I love the PP's around the edge. It finishes it off just right.
Thank you, Eileen! I love PP's too! And putting them on brought out the white of the cross and gave the mini balance! I'm happy with the results!

:D
Old 04-14-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by charity-crafter
Wow! Thanks so much for showing another way to use all the crumb blocks I've been making. Is the template available online or is one that we can make from plastic?
Your welcome!! I made my own template. You can download it by rt. clicking on the picture on page 1 of this tute or you can simply make your own template by drawing a 3" square, and at the 2.5" mark, draw a line to the corner for each side and voila! Transfer the pattern to cardboard, plastic, acrylic or wood. I simply changed the shape of the RRK block and eliminated having a 2nd template by creating a chunky style block that gives us lots of room around those corner points! :-D Cutting the fabric down in the tute ensures those corners will meet nicely. Hopefully, I'll get time to design more of my own templates and offer the quilters at really great prices! Thnx again! :D :D :thumbup: