Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrap Rug

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kasmitty1
    Quote Originally Posted by cande
    I'd love to make a couple for my kitchen but wondering how big I would be able to make it with an ordinary sewing machine. It wouldn't be able to be rolled like you would a quilt: at least, not as much. I'm still waiting for pictures to see what others have done..
    The bulk of the rug always stay on the outside. I started mine and went ooops, so I had to "flip" it after the first couple of rows because had I continued, the bulk would have been on the inside. I'm not sure if I'm making sense.

But for better or worse this is my first one. (Can someone tell me if I used the right stitch?) This is my machine's "zig-zag". It doesn't look like the same one in the tutorial.

I had fun, though! :)
    Not sure on the question but it looks awesome to me...

Quote Originally Posted by Jates
    I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before- but I've been using my Stitch in the Ditch foot to work on my project- it makes it really easy to sew perfectly between the 2 pieces of rope. I haven't worked on mine for awhile now, but I have enjoyed seeing everyone's projects. Thank you for sharing
    What a great hint !! thanks for passing it on. Anne

Where is your rug picture I missed it? I found that I had to go back and cut scraps to around an inch or so because they were to bulky other wise. My rug is about 16 inches round now, I'm hoping to finish today though.

Awsome tutorial..ty for sharing...I bought a book and the metal templates to learn braided rugs....I really like yours...

wow this is great! I bought the toothbrush rug book and after trying and trying I finally gave up. I decided it must be because i don't have a college degree. lol. ok. then about two months later, i was in the quilting store where i bought my book and i overheard two women talking about how there was a vital paragraph missing from the toothbrush rug book. what the heck!!! Anyways, i think this rug is much better anyway and i will for sure be trying it soon. But here is what I wanted to tell all of you rug making ladies. I am a painting contractor. I go to salvation army and in the back, they have garbage sacks full of t shirts for two dollars. I have been buying them up and after my horribly expensive rotary blades aren't quite good enough for my quilting fabric- i would use them to cut up tshirts for rags for my business ( since then- i have discovered harbor freight :-) :-) :-) Ok short story long- those t shirts are lots of times- very colorful florals etc and cheap. wouldn't they be great for the rugs? I really want to make a rug- I'm so excited- I cant wait to get started on one ( atleast I think you have included all of your paragraphs) lol

JJC
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbear
    Where is your rug picture I missed it? I found that I had to go back and cut scraps to around an inch or so because they were to bulky other wise. My rug is about 16 inches round now, I'm hoping to finish today though.
    Would love to see a picture of your rug.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for this tute.... You have done a good job explaining it! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Chele
    I have been searching everywhere for cotton clothesline. Target, WalMart didn't have any. I found some polyester content at Lowe's. Where do you buy the cotton stuff?
    I found mine at the Dollar General or Dollar Store. Good luck. :D

Great tutorial and thanks for the extra help. I wondered: did you ever try to use cording--the kind for making piping? Would it be too soft?

Mary Quite Contrary - how big around is your rug??? I've never made really big round ones, but I have made table runners that were anywhere from 2-3 feet long. And yes, you really do have to have a nice flat surface to let them lay on as you're sewing.

Do you think one of these could be used as a bath mat? Would it dry quickly enough? Just a thought, as I could use a new one and your color choices would be endless.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the tutorial, love your rug

Elizabeth, just loved your story of your DH's trip to the store. I'm invisioning my sweeties facial expession in that situation and It makes me smile. I had trouble finding cotton clothesrope too, finally found it at KMart.

I really need to make one of these. I love making fabric bowls. A fabric rug would be awesome... Yours look fabulous too!

Mary - thank you! I just cleaned up my studio and I have Serious Scraps.... I was wondering waht to do with them. Now I know!

Love your rug. Thanks for sharing the "how to do it". Now I have another project to add to my "Quilting Bucket List". haha

Definitely bookmarking this. I hope I can quit thinking about this during church tonight. haha

How Cool this is: I tried making one with braiding the fabric and I could never get it to lay flat: I was sewing it by hand and it was a mess::: The clothesline is the "trick": Thanks for the info:

Thanks for the tutorial for making a throw rug. I will add it to my list of things that I want to make.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mary quite contrary View Post
    You can wrap as you go or do it while you are watching TV then sit and sew a lot at once. I have a pin through every spot I switch fabric so it gets a little poky.

If you are making a rug it really helps to have a flat surface so you don't curve up.

If you want a basket once it is as big as you want turn it and go straight up the sides.
    Those are very neat .I have made the baskets. Want to try and do A apple rug. got apples in my kitchen

I love them. I have one with Christmas fabric started. I hope I can get to it soon....

I have the clothes line - now I need the time... How big are your fabric strings?

Good way to use fabric
    Pam

What size needle did you use ?
    Harley

Blog Entries

Cool These are such fun projects! Excellent Tutorial!

I just made my first fabric bowl. It was relaxing and fun. Just bought some more rope and plan on making quite a few projects. Thank you for sharing.
    Brenda

I think I might try this with my scraps. Love it.
    Be the change you want to see in this world. Ghandi

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 LastLast