Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Setting a design inside Chenille

I wanted a super quick and easy baby quilt for a shower next week, and I remembered this technique for putting a pattern inside chenille. This was my first try at it, and I'm SO happy with the way it turned out! I laid out one layer of pink and the red-folded them in half, draw a half heart freehand and cut it out. Then I pulled out the pink heart and the red background leaving the red heart and pink background that nestled perfectly together. You don't even need to stitch them together! Smoothed them out between two other layers of pink, another layer of pink on top, then a pale purple on top and bottom for a total of 6 layers of flannel. I channel stitched and slashed every half inch.
    This is REALLY heavy-will probably be better as a play mat/rug. Next time, I might go with fewer layers if I want it as a blanket. But honestly, I'm thinking I might make rugs for everyone for Christmas this year! I wish you could see the texture-it's so awesome!

This turned out about 38x38. Start out 4 inches bigger than you want because it'll shift even with pins and a walking foot!
    Name:  Attachment-196494.jpe
Views: 344
Size:  84.0 KB

This is after 2 rounds in the washer-dryer. I want to see it in 6 months!
    Name:  Attachment-196495.jpe
Views: 337
Size:  64.3 KB

VERY COOL! Loved how this turned out!

Beautiful!!! (As is your Avatar!!! What a gorgeous fur baby!!)

Blog Entries
    I love this, can you do a Tutorial on this, I would live to make one but not sure how to follow your directions.

Blog Entries
    looks very cool! I wish I could actually touch it.

I didn't understand at all how you did this. :?: :?

But if I see and understand it correctly, this method could be used to make a bath mat, couldn't it?

Power Poster
    That is awesome! Thanks for sharing your directions with us!

That is awesome. I love how it turned out. :)

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    I love this, can you do a Tutorial on this, I would live to make one but not sure how to follow your directions.
    I've never done a tutorial, but I'll give it a shot. I'm watching my son play baseball on the computer right now, so I'll see if I can multi-task.

This could be his last couple of college games. He's a senior and this is opening rounds of National Playoffs for NAIA College Baseball. Go UTB Scorpions!

Absolutely-I'm thinking that's what everyone's getting for Christmas this year! As easy as the heart was, I bet I could do Christmas trees, snowmen and Santas pretty easily too!

Hmm....Easter bunnies, flags, watermelon (the seeds would be fun!) pumpkins....oh the possibilities are endless!

Quote Originally Posted by Thusnelda
    I didn't understand at all how you did this. :?: :?

But if I see and understand it correctly, this method could be used to make a bath mat, couldn't it?

Great idea!

I understand your technique, though do have a final step question. After you slit your channels, and before you start washing ... do you buff the edges any to help them start turning into chenille? or is that totally done in the washing/drying process?

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Great idea!

I understand your technique, though do have a final step question. After you slit your channels, and before you start washing ... do you buff the edges any to help them start turning into chenille? or is that totally done in the washing/drying process?
    The hardest part was finishing the binding BEFORE i washed it! I wanted to see it fluff out so badly! No special technique, this is just through the washer and dryer twice.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love this! I've never seen it done with a pattern inside. Just one more thing I need to try. :D

Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Great idea!

The hardest part was finishing the binding BEFORE i washed it! I wanted to see it fluff out so badly! No special technique, this is just through the washer and dryer twice.
    Thanks for the update!

Would it need to be bound? ..... could you not just sew around the outside edge a couple of times as you would with those raggy quilts?

Thanks for the update!

Would it need to be bound? ..... could you not just sew around the outside edge a couple of times as you would with those raggy quilts?[/quote]

I wanted a bound edge on mine, but you could certainly do a rag edge if you want! But think about clipping through 6 layers of fabric. That's more than I'd want to clip and it wouldn't rag out super fuzzy without clipping....

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: :thumbup:

Don't quite under the instructions?

First-RELAX-this is very easy and forgiving!

You can choose any type of cotton for fabric, I've used flannel and quilting cotton. And you can do combinations! This is a great way to blast through your stash. The color tone will come through, but patterns and textures will be lost, so use your 'ugly' fabrics for the slashed layers! I used 3 colors of solid flannel in the photo quilt, and I'll give instructions based on doing this quilt.

For this quilt, I used 6 layers of flannel, 42" square. Very pale purple for the top and bottom layers, 4 layers of pink for the middle and one layer of red for the heart.

Lay out the red, fold in half. Lay out one pink, fold in half and lay on top of the red-folded edges together. Smooth it all out so the edges are as even as possible. Free hand a half heart with a chalk marker (or whatever marker you like) and cut both pieces together freehand with a rotary cutter. (or scissors if you prefer) Open both fabrics. Put aside the pink heart shape and the red outline shape for scrap. The red heart will nestle perfectly inside the pink outline shape!

Lay the bottom light purple layer face down on the table or floor where it can be laid out totally flat and smooth. Next, one layer of pink, face up. Smooth out so edges are lined up as closely as possible. Lay the pink heart outline first, smoothing from the edge to the inside, then lay the red heart inside that. Now smooth the heart and outline pieces so they lay as close as possible without overlapping. Throw the next two layers of pink on, then top with the light purple, smoothing everything out with each layer added. With this size, you'll want to pin baste. With the flannel, I pinned about every 6-8 inches. I might go closer with cotton.

Draw a diagonal line with your marker on the top layer. I don't trust my ability to keep it straight, so I marked mine every half inch all the way across. You absolutely MUST stitch on the bias. This is not the time to be creative and use a different angle-it won't fluff out right.
    USE YOUR WALKING FOOT!!! Stitch on the lines all the way across the quilt, starting with the middle line. Stitch up one line and down the next-that helps keeps things from shifting a bit. Smooth the fabric packet as you go, unpin and smooth bubbles out as you go if the shift is bigger than can be worked in without a bubble.
    I wanted a firm backing on mine, so I slashed through the top four layers, leaving the two bottom layers uncut. If you have electric scissors stashed somewhere, now is the time to dig them out! Also, there's several brands of slash cutters in your LQS-well worth the money if you plan on doing more than one of these! I clipped a half inch in from the edge with scissors to start the cut, then used my new slash cutter to clip between every line of stitching.
    Square up the quilt-you WILL have some shifting-so you have nice clean 6 layers edges all around. Cut your binding strip generously-you've got a thick layer to wrap around! I do regular binding at 2 1/4", but went 3" for this! Attach binding by your favorite method. I hand stitched mine to the back because it was just too thick for my walking foot to go over-maybe if it was only 4 layers.....
    Now it's magic time! Throw that puppy in the washer and then tumble it dry. The more you wash and dry it, the fluffier it gets!

Now, think of the possibilities here. If a heart was that easy, how about a Santa? Bunny? Snowman? Flag? Teddy bear? You can put as many colors into the design layer as you want. But make your pieces big enough so they'll be caught in a couple of rows of stitching, so at least an inch. For a more pronounced design, use 2 layers of design and less layers of fill color.
    For a blanket use fewer layers, this one is really heavy!
    For a rug, use a non-skid rug backing for the bottom layer. Find it at WalMart.

This is my first tutorial-let me know how you like it. Was it clear and complete?

close up of texture after 2 rounds in the washer-dryer
    Name:  Attachment-196514.jpe
Views: 128
Size:  64.3 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by feffertim
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-122781-1.htm#3240426

OK, let's see if that link comes through. That's my first tutorial-let me know how you like it!

Fantastic and oh so clever. Play mats like this would be wonderful outside on the lawn in the summertime. Kids or adults would love the cushion.

The shifting issue might not be so bad if you sew one row in one direction, and the next row sew back the other way. I do this when I'm piecing long strips and it seems to help things stay more even.

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the awesome tute! It is very clear and concise :D:D:D

Blog Entries
    Great tute! Yes, it is very clear.

I've never done a chenille effect, so here comes a newbie question: How do you make sure that you cut only the layers you want to cut?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jan T
    Fantastic and oh so clever. Play mats like this would be wonderful outside on the lawn in the summertime. Kids or adults would love the cushion.

The shifting issue might not be so bad if you sew one row in one direction, and the next row sew back the other way. I do this when I'm piecing long strips and it seems to help things stay more even.
    I stitched it up one row and down the other, but with six layers over 42 inches square, I got about a 2 inch shift. If yours doesn't shift as much, great, just something to plan for 'just in case" :)
    The lesson basically is this: Don't put your design all the way to the edge, give yourself some wiggle room!

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

I've never done a chenille effect, so here comes a newbie question: How do you make sure that you cut only the layers you want to cut?

Thanks!
    You start the clip from the edge and only cut the layers you want. The slash cutter has a leading edge before the blade to keep the cutter riding on the right layer. With scissors, you just have to go slow and be careful!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hudgoddess
    Quote Originally Posted by LeslieFrost

Thanks!
    You start the clip from the edge and only cut the layers you want. The slash cutter has a leading edge before the blade to keep the cutter riding on the right layer. With scissors, you just have to go slow and be careful!
    Thanks! Yes, I can see that in my mind now!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast