Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Sharing Templates for Quilting One Block Wonder Quilts

Hi Rockeeann - great brainstorming! You would be great to have around whenever someone is trying to come up with ideas! Hey cool - you are up there in Alaska! My brother and his wife live in Fairbanks.

You have solved a big problem I was having with how to quilt a OBW. After seeing how you were using the hexagons to develop the designs, I took the template and worked on an idea that might be pretty easy. I haven't figured out how I will connect the daisies in a way that I don't have to start and stop on each one, but I think I can figure that out, too. Thanks again for your help.

Daisies for OBW quilting
    Name:  Attachment-224474.jpe
Views: 270
Size:  169.1 KB

Thanks so much for sharing this with all of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Gurugal
    You have solved a big problem I was having with how to quilt a OBW. After seeing how you were using the hexagons to develop the designs, I took the template and worked on an idea that might be pretty easy.
    Hi Gurugal!
    Let me tell you I am so delighted you found the blank template helpful and that you posted a beautiful design idea. That's exactly what i had hoped people would do. If you can still edit your posting, you should go back to the picture and change the title at the top and put your own name there, so you get the credit!

:thumbup:

That's a great idea BuzzinBumble, but it was too late to edit when you suggested the change. Next time. Thank you for your encouragement. I meant to have the daisies touch the sides of all the hexagons so I could connect them, but I didn't quite get it right. But it gives the idea across. I think I'll put a few left-over hexagons together and try several of your ideas and the daisies - one pattern in each hex. I can't decide what would look best.

Wow. This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Thank you very much for sharing. I cannot add to these as i do not do my own quilting on my quilts. I can use your One Block Wonder master though. I made my own, but can always improve by using yours. Good luck with your new creations.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for sharing your lovely designs- a bit tricky for me, but a great source of ideas!!

I've now been turning my mind to how to quilt a one block wonder in a less formal way, not in an all over design. Since OBWs tend to have areas of lighter and darker blocks, I think they often look celestial. So I was thinking of how to use quilting done in cosmic swirls for a quilt with a starry look, or breezes and zephyrs for a quilt with a garden like and sunlit look.
    I was cruising around the board and found a gorgeous prizewinning quilt made by grandmajuki whose quilting design would apply wonderfully to a OBW as well:
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-140282-1.htm :thumbup:

I think you are right about an all over, celestial look. I tried some of the individual motifs, and they break up the flow of my one block wonder design. On the other hand, the pattern design in my OBW quilt is so busy that I'm wondering if an overall design will just be lost. The Starry Night quilt you referenced shows up best in the solid dark sections. Still mulling this one over.

What if you were to connect each motiff with a "stem" or vine-type-of-thing? It wouldn't have to be a straight line. Maybe you could change the flower to a leaf that would be on a vine.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did try to connect them with a curving line but the individual motifs still looked spotty. Now I'm thinking about stitch in the ditch for the central area to show the detail of all the piecing, then put some machine quilting in the borders which aren't as busy. I'll post a picture when I finish it.

Thanks, I'm bookmarking this!

Blog Entries
    neat! thanks for sharing

I really, really love this. Thank you so much.

thank you for sharing your talent with us.

Wow! Those are beautiful designs. OBWs are on my bucket list so I'm going to save your great ideas.

why don't the red x's open for me???

Wonderful templates!

Quote Originally Posted by Nantie View Post
    why don't the red x's open for me???
    Thank you for such nice comments everyone!

As I said on page 9, I now think a more free-style all over design is the way to go. Any thoughts or ideas on this would be terrific!

I get the red x's too Nantie and another member just wrote to say she does too. Not sure what happened to the pics when the QB changed over. Clearly some folks can see them, which puzzles me. If you still would like to see them, I could email them to you if you PM me.

this thread is still alive and kicking, Lara!
    i just posted a link to it to a thread that shows a GORGEOUS OBW that the person asked for quilting suggestions.
    "And I guess I might have made a few mistakes.
    But maybe that's exactly what it takes.
    To get a little happy in this big sad world..."
    ​One Line Wonder, The Avett Brothers

Blog Entries
    WOW, these ideas are great! I just finished my OBW top and was looking for ideas. "Dixie_fried" linked to your post from mine where I was asking about suggestions for FMQing it. Thank you so much!!!
    Wendy

WOW and thanks. This will be so helpful when I finally get to my OBW--I already have the fabric.

Laurie

I'm totally flabbergasted!! Your designs are beautiful!

So thrilled to see your designs, curious to how you do a design in paint, maybe a tutorial on how you do that if not to difficult to explain. Your designs are so neat and creative, also curious what size hexagon did you use for your template or do you use another method to scale your designs? Thanks again.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast