Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Street Directory Quilt - how it started

Street Directory Quilt - how it started

There has been a few requests on how I came to make this quilt. I had been looking for something to do which would use up a heap of scraps and one day when I was in the local Information Centre, I picked up an A4 sheet of our town's local street directory for a friend. On the way home, I decided that would be my next quilt.

I took that A4 sheet to the local printing shop and got them to enlarge it many times to a size that I would be able to manage. At home I joined those paper sections together and then copied the whole street directory onto tracing Vilene which made it so much easier to manage. (see photos) The pic with the star is where my house is on the map. I am not sure how to write under each pic but they are in order as to how the process went.

I then divided the street directory up into 4-5 sections and traced each section again onto tracing Vilene. Then the fun began. All scraps were used where I could, joining pieces if needed. All the house block sections were foundation pieced and then pinned onto the traced section. The streets / roads were drawn onto fusible, cut out and ironed on over the house sections. The schools are yellow sections, the parks / recreation grounds / grassy areas are green, industrial areas are brown.

I hope this helps you understand how this quilt has gone together so far. I will continue to post pictures as I progress on adding the street names and then the quilting process. And of course, the end result !
    Attached Images Attached Images

QB Albums: Lynnie25's Quilts; Selvedge Quilts; Lyn's Dolls Quilt Swap Quilts

totally unique I expect. Well done!

WoW that is amazing!!! What a lot of work and planning has gone into this project, but it will be beautiful!!!

Power Poster
    Unique scrap project!

That is such an awesome idea, and your work on it thus far is wonderful! Can't wait to see the next pictures.
    A husband is the perfect confidant to tell your secrets to - he can't reveal them to anyone else because he wasn't really listening when you told him!

what an unique idea
    Pegg

Have a great day and happy sewing !

I am stunned by how you are putting this together. I especially love the 4th photo where a few strips are sewn in. This will be quite an accomplishment!!!

This is certainly a labor of love

Blog Entries
    Great idea!

Blog Entries
    Thanks...I think this would be fun to with our farm using the USDA maps that label all the fields, woods, etc. OH OH the wheels are turning!
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    I donate quilts to the AAQI.

Remarkable, I would not have the patience for all that piecing. Great job
    Linda J.

Blog Entries
    Wow, can't wait to see the finished quilt, This will be a unique masterpiece and an heirloom for your family. I would never attempt something like this, I have lots of patience, but not enough to do this. Good for you!

That is a very unique idea and a great one to use up scraps, please do keep us updated as you go along. You're doing a fabulous job.

What a great idea!! Love how you composed all the different elements...it looks beautiful!! Great job!!♥

Blog Entries
    Very creative! Love how this looks>
    "A woman is like a tea bag-you can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt

KLO
    Blog Entries
    What a great tutorial on such an interesting process and quilt! Looks like you have to be fairly organize to do this. You really have a creative mind to take this idea to fruition. I am astounded by the current results and will definitely want to see the completion of the quilt.

Blog Entries
    I enamoured with your wonderful creation, but I do have one question. What is “tracing vilene”? Is it something like what we call “non woven interfacing” that we use in the states? Does anyone here know the answer? Thank you.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

wow. Now I want to start a new project, LOL. You are a very smart quilter and I take my hat off to your amazing creativity.
    Baby Lock Ellisimo-^-Baby Lock Ellageo-^-Brother PQ1500s-^-1947 Featherweight.
    Janome 19660-^-Baby Lock Serger-^-Singer Serger-^-Accuquilt Go & Brother ScannCut.

A great tutorial - each step well explained. Thank you for sharing your amazing quilt with us.

An amazing journey. Your creativity is to be congratulated as well as making an outstanding quilt!

You are simply amazing!!!

Thank you for giving us close ups of the areas and how it all came about. Looking forward to following your progress.

Thanks for sharing.
    bjsmith57

Great idea for a quilt! It is already awesome; it will be a masterpiece when you finish. Very outstanding in every
    way.

Amazingly creative idea and quilt!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast