Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: String Piecing on adding machine paper

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish
    i think you develop a rthym after a while too and it goes faster..
    You are quite right, also I use 2 pieces, about a yard long, so I don't have to keep stopping and starting. I have just finished this one, other than quilting and doing the binding, and the borders only took me 2 evenings and the quilt is 4' X 5.5'.

I can't thank you enough Sue Fish for this tip, my Patchwork Class ladies and I love it and now do this method a lot on most of our quilts and the effect when using chosen colours is fab as you can see here!

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    I love this idea. Sorry to sound like a dummy but how do you bookmark? FayZ

Quote Originally Posted by FayZ
    I love this idea. Sorry to sound like a dummy but how do you bookmark? FayZ
    You are not a dummy as it took me a time to work it out so I must be a dummy too :mrgreen:

Scroll to top of page and you will see just at the top of the topic 3 tabs, the left one says "Bookmark" click on that give it a name and et voila it's in your "My Bookmarks"

I wanted a wider strip than the adding machine tape would make so I cut up an old phone book into strips and used those. Also figured out that the fabric strips were easier to keep straight as I could use the lines of print on the phone book paper to align them. It's also much easier to tear off.

Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    I wanted a wider strip than the adding machine tape would make so I cut up an old phone book into strips and used those. Also figured out that the fabric strips were easier to keep straight as I could use the lines of print on the phone book paper to align them. It's also much easier to tear off.
    GREAT tip, thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

I just moved from Ottawa IL. to Sycamore Il.
    Blog Entries
    thank you so much.FayZ

Blog Entries
    thanks for your tutorial

Banned
    welcome

Just make another box to roll the finished piece into! you probably still have a bit of the knitting needled left, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I finally tracked down some 3in rolls over here. I could only persuade the shop to sell me two - otherwise they wanted me to buy a whole box (I might go back for them later). Anyway, here is my effort so far.

I addapted a box that originally held a block of note paper to hold my roll. Two holes drilled in it, and an old plastic knitting needle did the trick (I cut it to length).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CorneliaVa
    Just make another box to roll the finished piece into! you probably still have a bit of the knitting needled left, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lacelady
    I finally tracked down some 3in rolls over here. I could only persuade the shop to sell me two - otherwise they wanted me to buy a whole box (I might go back for them later). Anyway, here is my effort so far.

I addapted a box that originally held a block of note paper to hold my roll. Two holes drilled in it, and an old plastic knitting needle did the trick (I cut it to length).
    great idea

I just found a bag of narrower than usual adding machine tape at the thrift store. it will be great for smaller pieces

Is there a reason for using paper behind the fabric? Couldn;t you just sew the fabric together without the paper?

Quote Originally Posted by baubo1234
    Is there a reason for using paper behind the fabric? Couldn;t you just sew the fabric together without the paper?
    You can but I find yoiu need the paper to stabilize it.

Oh, and then you just rip the paper off after. I get it now. Thanks

Brilliant, thanks for sharing! And to think I gave an entire box of these rolls to Goodwill just a few months ago.

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    The paper is a GREAT way to use as a guide to cut the fabric into a strip. Just face the paper up, line up your longest ruler along the edge and cut away. It's a great tip!

if you just sew small strips of fabric together in a long strip, you more than likely won't be able to keep them straight and you will end up with a very wonky strip. The paper is a stailizer for small pieces but also keeps you straight. Use smaller than normal stitches when sewing and then if need be you can run a seam ripper along the seams to make it easier to tear the paper off. I have also found rolls of fax paper that you can find in second hand stores, as most fax machines no longer use it, a great thing to use in designing borders. Just cut to the length of your border and fold in half, quarters, etc to design your borders in equal sections

Paper from an old telephone book is much easier to tear off and the lines of writing help to keep the strips straight. I use pieces cut lenthwise on the page to the width I want the border to be and sew the paper strips together when I run out of the last strip. It's also lighter weight than the adding machine tape and rolls neater as you work.

Banned
    You need a foundation when sewing like this and it keeps them flat

You could but remember these are scraps so many of them will be off grain or outright biases. If you don't stabilize them they are likely to go wonky on you and the blocks will not be square and the sides will not measure the same. It really saves time and temper to take the time to stabilize them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lclang
    You could but remember these are scraps so many of them will be off grain or outright biases. If you don't stabilize them they are likely to go wonky on you and the blocks will not be square and the sides will not measure the same. It really saves time and temper to take the time to stabilize them.

thanks for sharing that great idea! I used to recycle my adding machine tape but I just rerolled it and sent it though my adding machine on the other side!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmsquilter
    thanks for sharing that great idea! I used to recycle my adding machine tape but I just rerolled it and sent it though my adding machine on the other side!
    Thrifty idea..I love to re use

Couldn't you sew two rolls together side by side if you wanted wider? Maybe with a long zig zag and old needle? For a wider strip of paper I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by georgiat
    Couldn't you sew two rolls together side by side if you wanted wider? Maybe with a long zig zag and old needle? For a wider strip of paper I mean.
    I don't know if that would work, give it a try and let us know. I have kept the strip of paper that EQS puts in their bolt of wadding, it's about 4" wide. If stitching them together is a pain why not cut up something like old Yellow pages, they are thin, and free :thumbup:

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 ... LastLast