Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: String Piecing on adding machine paper

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Fish
    I have done miles and miles of the string piecing this way for borders, quilt blocks, etc...I use 3" wide paper and can when done, cut pieces for many many different patterns.
    I like it sort of wonky rather than each piece cut exactly the same and sewn straight..but you can do either
    I start with my paper in a box or in the pic you can see I use the thread holder...anything to keep it from rolling all over.
    I cut my scraps anywhere from about 1" wide to 1 1/2" wide and about 3 1/2" long.
    First you lay one piece right side up on the end of your paper...lay the next strip face down on that and sew as shown using 1/4" seam allowance.. Flip it back and finger press and then lay the next piece face down on that and repeat...I like to sew them at a little angle here and there to make them "wonky".....continue on as long as you like but I find normally I stopped at about 1 yard of the piecing and trimmed it as shown and then rolled it up and continued on...make sense?
    When my DH passed away, I found a whole box of adding machine rolls. Not knowing any better, I started sewing scrap pieces on the paper like you did. Mine were wonky from inexperience, not knowledge. After several years of collecting and much yardage strips, I started a scrap quilt for my son. Turned out great.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    I have done miles and miles of the string piecing this way for borders, quilt blocks, etc...I use 3" wide paper and can when done, cut pieces for many many different patterns.
    I like it sort of wonky rather than each piece cut exactly the same and sewn straight..but you can do either
    I start with my paper in a box or in the pic you can see I use the thread holder...anything to keep it from rolling all over.
    I cut my scraps anywhere from about 1" wide to 1 1/2" wide and about 3 1/2" long.
    First you lay one piece right side up on the end of your paper...lay the next strip face down on that and sew as shown using 1/4" seam allowance.. Flip it back and finger press and then lay the next piece face down on that and repeat...I like to sew them at a little angle here and there to make them "wonky".....continue on as long as you like but I find normally I stopped at about 1 yard of the piecing and trimmed it as shown and then rolled it up and continued on...make sense?
    When my DH passed away, I found a whole box of adding machine rolls. Not knowing any better, I started sewing scrap pieces on the paper like you did. Mine were wonky from inexperience, not knowledge. After several years of collecting and much yardage strips, I started a scrap quilt for my son. Turned out great.
    Would love to see a pic of the quilt..have one?

Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    Would love to see a pic of the quilt..have one?
    I have a super digital camera that takes gorgeous pics. I finally figured out how to get pics on Craigs List. Now I can work on this one. Have several to post. Wish me luck.

Cool idea, thanks for sharing.

I was just thinking that maybe you could use a paper towel holder to hold the adding machine paper roll.Then as you fill them up,you could just stack them on top of each other to store them.

This is a neat idea !

I don't understand (sigh) why are you sewing them onto paper?

stupid question here... what is the purpose of doing it on paper?

I am sitting here with a table load of scraps that I wasn't sure what I was going to do with them. I knew I shouldn't throw them away, so now I have a new fun project. Thanks. I've also bookmarked to see what you are going to do with them.

Blog Entries
    What a clever idea! Thanks!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Playtime7
    stupid question here... what is the purpose of doing it on paper?
    The paper is your foundation...this is a foundation piecing method..it helps keep your fabrics flat and smooth and it doesn't matter if the scraps are bias when doing this also

WOW.... Didn't know that.... Haven't done much foundation piecing, I guess, but do make a lot of flip and sew projects... How do you work with the paper foundation when you need it? Just tear it off like a stabilizer?

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the tutorial and what a wonderful idea. I am learning so much from all of you quilters. I bless the day I found you!

DITTO!!!!!

For some unknown reason, I bought a box of (6) 6" wide, 1000' long thermal paper rolls at GW for $2 and now I know what I can do with them. Great idea!

What a great idea! I don't use an adding machine any more, but I have several rolls of paper that I didn't have a use for... and now I do! Thanks!

ME, TOOO!!!!!

Sue,
    Thanks for the Tut.

Okay, I'm confused and it seems everyone else gets it. LOL.. not unusual for me. But what do you do with the paper on the back side. I assume you are doing this for binding right?

do you sew the fabric to the paper ? why do you need the paper ? does it stay on the fabric for ever ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by quilting grammy
    do you sew the fabric to the paper ? why do you need the paper ? does it stay on the fabric for ever ?
    The paper is your foundation..you use it to keep all those little pieces flat and not get all wonky and you take the paper off when done...you can use fabric for a foundation also...good for using up fabrics you don't want but I like the paper ...can always find other things to do with fabrics

You can also use muslim or old sheets and then you leave it on. It does make the quilt heaver, but really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by quilting grammy
    The paper is your foundation..you use it to keep all those little pieces flat and not get all wonky and you take the paper off when done...you can use fabric for a foundation also...good for using up fabrics you don't want but I like the paper ...can always find other things to do with fabrics

This is the same idea as paper piecing. You sew and flip, sew and flip. The advantage of the paper is to keep any bias edges from stretching so you can sew a strip cut in any direction. I keep the paper on till I have the strips sewn in place, again to avoid stretching any bias. Works great.

Brilliant idea and keeps everything all neat and organised. Thanks!

An excellent idea Sue, which I've thought of before for templates etc, and even the old Telex machine rolls of paper would be about 8" wide if we can find them nowadays, for making long templates for quilting frame (Pantograms!) - I'll be going to Jackson's Art & School Supplies tomorrow - forgot to look when I last purchased something from there.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 12 ... LastLast